Started Oral minoxidil 5 weeks ago (shedding increase)

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone else can share their experience 1 month in on oral minoxidil. So far all i can tell is shedding seems to have increased like a mo fo. Sink is full of hair each morning. Head seems a little thinner too. Not sure if this is a precursor to potential growth or not.
Havent had any sides yet, which is good. This was my last option as ive tried literally everything.
Can anyone else who has tried oral minoxidil tell me if they also experienced increased shedding as well?
Thanks all

jimmyhairte

Reaction score
Yes, shedding started after about a month, lasted for about a month but you could see new growth very early on. Heavy shedding though.

Now, 5 months later I easily gained a Norwood. Insane results. Vertex slowly closing back up after years.

I started with 5mg/d and now increased to 10mg/d, 5mg in the morning and in the evening. Furosemide against the swelling. Some heart issues but those went away after like 2 months. Increased body hair everywhere.

Also dutasteride, RU, Stemox, Microneedling, Ket. But those have been consistent for years.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, shedding started after about a month, lasted for about a month but you could see new growth very early on. Heavy shedding though.

Now, 5 months later I easily gained a Norwood. Insane results. Vertex slowly closing back up after years.

I started with 5mg/d and now increased to 10mg/d, 5mg in the morning and in the evening. Furosemide against the swelling. Some heart issues but those went away after like 2 months. Increased body hair everywhere.

Also dutasteride, RU, Stemox, Microneedling, Ket. But those have been consistent for years.
Lucky you. Oral min didnt do sh*t for my hair after 5 months on 10 to 20mg. Just bled while shitting and had heart problems the whole time. Can I ask you why you added in oral minoxidil? Wasnt your regimen enough to maintain? Did u slowly lose ground over the years?

Last edited:

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

When you were shedding, did you lose ground around your forehead and temples? Were you able to grow those back or did only the vertex come back?
Thanks

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on OM for near 2 years now, small amount of shedding in first couple of weeks and irregular heartbeat but disappearing pretty quickly.
Upped from 5mg a day to 10mg a day a year ago. Small amount of regrowth but not what i was expecting. Going to drop down to 5mg a day due to the long term risks with taking this drug.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me when I started oral minoxidil and it's nothing to worry about. Shedding is normal, it's just old hair making way for the new.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any substantial regrowth with OM? If so, what dosage were you taking?
Overall i would say i was quite disappointed with the results i had

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me when I started oral minoxidil and it's nothing to worry about. Shedding is normal, it's just old hair making way for the new.
For best results you need to microneedle and be on dutasteride

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Ive noticed more/darker hair growing between my eyebrows and temples. Ive had to pluck a few cause they were noticeable. But im only on 2.5mg a day right now. When i finish this round im going to ask for 5mg. I cant really say my hair looks better, but it doesnt look worse. Its taking me a little less time to hide my balding/thinning spot in the back, but its clearly still there

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For best results you need to microneedle and be on dutasteride
Ive been on dutasteride and finasteride for like 10 yrs now and its effects are wearing off, which is why im now on OM.
Honestly i still have enough hair to look like a full head, but it takes 30+ min a day of combover and hairspray to pull off. I owe any remnants of hair i still have to the dutasteride and finasteride, because at the rate i was going back in 2015 i thought i was going to be slick bald by 2018 tops

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any substantial regrowth with OM? If so, what dosage were you taking?
Overall i would say i was quite disappointed with the results i had
Not good to hear.... but i think ive had better results on OM over the past two month than i ever did with 10 years of topical. Head hair doesnt look much improved, but i can clearly tell ive had increased body and facial hair. Hoping that translates to my head in the next few months... fingers crossed

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been on dutasteride and finasteride for like 10 yrs now and its effects are wearing off, which is why im now on OM.
Honestly i still have enough hair to look like a full head, but it takes 30+ min a day of combover and hairspray to pull off. I owe any remnants of hair i still have to the dutasteride and finasteride, because at the rate i was going back in 2015 i thought i was going to be slick bald by 2018 tops
Try adding microneedling. It takes less time than you spend styling, and it only has to be done twice a month

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try adding microneedling. It takes less time than you spend styling, and it only has to be done twice a month
I may give it a go. I microneedled a few years ago with various topicals and no results other than a red bloody scalp. Maybe with the oral, its worth retrying