Started Finasteride - Should I Add minoxidil?

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have noticed my hair slowly getting thinner over the last 4 years, in the last year alone it seems to have gotten dramatically worse than before, so I finally took the plunge and started finasteride alone in an attempt to do something about it. Here it is the day of starting, just after a shower - not bone dry/not wet:

imageedit_1_7499433670.jpg

Its been 3 weeks since I started and the good news is I don't appear to be experiencing any of the side effects. The hair does look like it could be a little thinner than starting - this could be due to a shed or because I have had a haircut since.

I understand that typically you should wait at least 6 months before reviewing progress but after seeing a few threads saying finasteride alone will do nothing for regrowth, in particular with diffuse thinners. I am now thinking maybe I should start minoxidil along with it?

What is the general consensus on finasteride alone? or should it always be coupled with minoxidil for the regrowth element?

Thanks

YoungandHairy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride alone does not provide significant regrowth, if any at all. However, with minoxidil you can expect pretty good regrowth but it's essentially dependent on a person to person basis. In your case I would add minoxidil due to the manner of hairloss (diffuse).

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Judging by your pictures you have lost very little hair, but most affected have significantly thinned. For some finasteride can thicken your existing hair and give you a cosmetically greater appearance. As of right now I would not add minoxidil. The general consensus is to give finasteride one year before adding anything. Good luck.

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Judging by your pictures you have lost very little hair, but most affected have significantly thinned. For some finasteride can thicken your existing hair and give you a cosmetically greater appearance. As of right now I would not add minoxidil. The general consensus is to give finasteride one year before adding anything. Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I have the minoxidil here but havent opened it just yet. The pictures probably dont do it justice but the hair seems very thin on top (to me at least) Few more pics attached.

I will try to hold off on the minoxidil for the time being and review in a few months, but I am just concerned it will maintain at best - not regrow

I may try a short buzzcut, or will this highlight the issue further?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 268

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have the minoxidil here but havent opened it just yet. The pictures probably dont do it justice but the hair seems very thin on top (to me at least) Few more pics attached.

I will try to hold off on the minoxidil for the time being and review in a few months, but I am just concerned it will maintain at best - not regrow

I may try a short buzzcut, or will this highlight the issue further?

Thanks
finasteride works best at the crown and mid anterior of the scalp so you do have a good chance to thicken up nicely.

Meddller

Reaction score
Yes, I would definitely add it. Sometimes it's good to wait and see if the finasteride is just maintaining or more. That way, if you add minoxidil and your hair gets thicker, you definitely know minoxidil is working. That said, it's often hard to wait - we want as much hair as we can get and we want it now. Good luck. Minoxidil is your friend when it comes to hair re-growth.

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a thought - If I were to buzz my hair, would it likely highlight the problem more?

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, just a thought, but if I add minoxidil - I believe I am currently experiencing a shed from the 1 month of finasteride use, wouldnt I also experience a shed from the minoxidil? (effectively a double shed) which will make my hair look worse?