Started Dutasterid Today (ran Fina Before)

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another update, just a few days later.

Took 0.25mg of arimidex two days ago, and I start thinking that the dutasteride + arimidex combination makes testosterone levels go through the roof. I suddenly notice more oily skin, more pimples, more energy and maybe some performance enhancement in the gym and on the bike. Downside is that I lately have noticed some more itching in the scalp, so the superphysiological levels of testosterone may be bad for the hairline. I will try to wait taking the next arimidex until I notice serious gyno symptoms next time (if it ever comes).

I have noticed dandruff in the frontal hairline lately which is caused by the Qgain 5% liquid minoxidil. I will look into getting the foam version soon. I tried using nizoral shampoo again more regularly again and now my hair feels/looks completely friend. Those two things may also be the reason for the increased itching.

Reducing the nizoral 2% to max once or twice weekly now and adding "aussie miracle moist" shampoo to the regime for less dry hair and scalp. I will also occationally try "aussie 3 minute miracle treatment" shampoo which is supposed to cointain avocado oil and eucalyptus extract amongst other things.

Last edited:

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been away for a couple of weeks. I will update with pictures when I hit the 3 month mark in early July.

Some good things have happened lately. I have basically almost zero itch in my scalp, which is a BIG change from before. This might be because of the Dutasteride, but I think it is the anti-itch/anti-scalp dryness shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. I have started to use these every day now. My hair seem to like it - it's alot fresher and feels more healthy. I use nizoral 2% every sunday. I also have zero dandruff now, so it's a big progress. I am still using minoxidil 5% liquid every morning and evening.

I will go 3 weeks without any alcohol and eat a diet consisting of only healthy food from now. I will also exercise every day these weeks. This is another experiment I'm doing too see if I will notice any difference in mood and energy, so it's a bit unrelated to hair loss. But I will also try to see if I notice anything hair or scalp related. Currently 4 days into this experiment now, and I feel better every day.

Last edited:

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually think I'm starting to see improvements at the hairline in the temples, especially the left temple. Some more density at the whole frontal area. That's probably the minoxidil. Lots of vellus hairs. Almost zero itching, and no dandruff at all. I will reach the 3 month mark at the beginning of june, so I will post 3 month mark pictures. I will also reupload the images from the start again. I think I may see some pretty big improvements at the hairline if this will progress at the same rate like it has this month.

Applepie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do uou think its neccesary to compliment with dutasteride with an anti estrogen supplmenet like armidex? Or is it okay on its own

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do uou think its neccesary to compliment with dutasteride with an anti estrogen supplmenet like armidex? Or is it okay on its own

Only if it's needed. I get mild gyno symptoms if I go more than 4 days without a small dose of arimidex. Just need to watch out for painful joints and low energy, cause then you have too low estrogen.

I did not have arimidex when I got the symptoms the first time, so I had to order arimidex quickly. The problem is that dutasteride has such a long half life, so you risk having estrogenic side effects for weeks after taking the last capsule of dutasteride (I think, not sure). I would suggest having a anti estrogen (if you can get it) on hand if you want to be safe.

Loosing fat helps alot since it reduces the conversion of testosterone to estradiol.

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
No huge updates going almost 4 months into the dutasteride treament. Because of that, I won't post pictures yet. Hoping for vellus hair to grow into terminal hairs.

BUT, here's something. I did a bloodwork in april when I started dutasteride. I had another one some a months ago. It looks like some blood values have changed noticeably.

Before:
B-Hemoglobin 15,6 ref. 13,4 - 17,0
B-Hematokrit 0,48 ref. 0,40 - 0,50

After:
B-Hemoglobin 17,4 ref. 13,4 - 17,0
B-Hematokrit 0,54 ref. 0,40 - 0,50

The doctor said it was nothing major on the last blood test. Some sources I find on the internet find hematocrit up to 54% within the limits,
I don't know if I should feel concerned or not, cause I suspect the change is because of the change from finasteride to dutasteride and adding a low dose arimidex to battle the sides.

Slotback67

My Regimen
Reaction score
No huge updates going almost 4 months into the dutasteride treament. Because of that, I won't post pictures yet. Hoping for vellus hair to grow into terminal hairs.

BUT, here's something. I did a bloodwork in april when I started dutasteride. I had another one some a months ago. It looks like some blood values have changed noticeably.

Before:

After:

The doctor said it was nothing major on the last blood test. Some sources I find on the internet find hematocrit up to 54% within the limits,
I don't know if I should feel concerned or not, cause I suspect the change is because of the change from finasteride to dutasteride and adding a low dose arimidex to battle the sides.
Thx for the updates

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Before:

After:

What sides to battle?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Before:

After:

Thanks for this-curious why you are using Avodart over generic. Was this something your prescribing Doctor recommended?

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I added some images of pictures I've taken since I started, look at my first post. Don't know if I'm seeing results to be honest, but it looks like I may have some increased density at the temples. Still only 4 months into the treatment though, so I need to give it at least 6-8 more months to see if it's working or not. Any input?

What sides to battle?

Mild gyno symptoms. I take a low dose arimidex daily to keep the estradiol in balance. I try to keep it to the minimum. I think I had 37 pg/ml estradiol last june right before I started finasteride again after a few months off, borderline high levels. Dutasteride probably increased that to at least 40-45 pg/ml. I've also started to loose fat through diet and lots of exercise to help decrease the conversion, since adipose tissue contains aromatase enzymes. I would guess I'm around 20% in body fat. I'm trying to eat more healthy foods and more vegetables, while decreasing alcohol intake.

Thanks for this-curious why you are using Avodart over generic. Was this something your prescribing Doctor recommended?

Because the "Dutasteride Medical Valley" and "Avodart" has the exact same price in my country. Avodart is also more often available in the pharmacies where I live.

Last edited:

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I added some images of pictures I've taken since I started, look at my first post. Don't know if I'm seeing results to be honest, but it looks like I may have some increased density at the temples. Still only 4 months into the treatment though, so I need to give it at least 6-8 more months to see if it's working or not. Any input?

Mild gyno symptoms. I take a low dose arimidex daily to keep the estradiol in balance. I try to keep it to the minimum. I think I had 37 pg/ml estradiol last june right before I started finasteride again after a few months off, borderline high levels. Dutasteride probably increased that to at least 40-45 pg/ml. I've also started to loose fat through diet and lots of exercise to help decrease the conversion, since adipose tissue contains aromatase enzymes. I would guess I'm around 20% in body fat. I'm trying to eat more healthy foods and more vegetables, while decreasing alcohol intake.

Because the "Dutasteride Medical Valley" and "Avodart" has the exact same price in my country. Avodart is also more often available in the pharmacies where I live.
Any update OON your progress?

Limbodo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks better. The triangles in your temples look less pronounced in the 5 month picture. Looks stable at the very least

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any update OON your progress?

+1 any update?..

Here ya go. Sorry for the late update. I waited until I got a haircut before taking new pictures.

6 months plus a few weeks update:

I recently bought a new phone with 40 megapixels, only so I can get the best money shots of my hairline and keep you guys satisfied. The pictures is without mirror-effect now, so keep that in mind.

I'm still on the same regimen as usual: Dutasteride 0.5mg every day (real Avodart, from pharmacy), minoxidil 5% twice daily, ketokonazole 2% once a week and about 0.5-1mg anastrozole/arimidex per week (I just take a small bite of the tablets now and then).

Sadly, it doesn't seem like I have any major positive progress, but it seem like I have a tiny bit of increased hair density in the back of the temples (look at my left temple with the bigger mole). It seem like the frontal hairline is actually more dense than the hair at the top and around the vertex now. I suspect that this may be a positive result from the minoxidil. However, the hairline looks the same..

I mentioned blood tests earlier in this thread, where I had a bit high hematocrit and hemoglobin. I took a new blood test today, since the doctor wanted to see if the values are still high. I suspect they still are, and I also suspect that it may be because of the combination dutasteride + arimidex.

I suspect that my testosterone levels are a bit high, which causes increased erythropoiesis (creation of new red blood cells). This might be bad, since it increases the risk of stroke and heart attack. The chances of that is probably low, since I'm only 25 and my heart is perfectly healthy (tested with EKG). I recently started weight lifting after a period of low volume training and fat loss. It seems like I'm gaining strength pretty fast, almost faster than ever - I can easily increase the weights in every exercise every week, but maybe this is just newbie gains.

No sexual side effects so far. I can easily masturbate up to 5 times a day if I want, lol. I don't notice any particulary watery semen, but I sometimes have a tingling feeling in my ballsack. Not in a bad way. It actually feels good in some way. I suspect it may be the now and then surges of LH/FSH going from the brain to the testicles, promoting production of sex steroids.

Pictures taken today:

16 oktober (12).jpg 16 oktober(2).jpg 16 oktober(3).jpg 16 oktober(5).jpg 16 oktober(10).jpg 16 oktober(11).jpg 16 oktober.jpg

Last edited:

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks better. The triangles in your temples look less pronounced in the 5 month picture. Looks stable at the very least

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that. Yeah, I think the hair furthest back at the temples and frontal hairline is getting denser, but I don't think I notice any progression besides that. It seems like it's pretty stable, so I'm happy about that.

Last edited:

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here ya go. Sorry for the late update. I waited until I got a haircut before taking new pictures.

6 months plus a few weeks update:

I recently bought a new phone with 40 megapixels, only so I can get the best money shots of my hairline and keep you guys satisfied. The pictures is without mirror-effect now, so keep that in mind.

I'm still on the same regimen as usual: Dutasteride 0.5mg every day (real Avodart, from pharmacy), minoxidil 5% twice daily, ketokonazole 2% once a week and about 0.5-1mg anastrozole/arimidex per week (I just take a small bite of the tablets now and then).

Sadly, it doesn't seem like I have any major positive progress, but it seem like I have a tiny bit of increased hair density in the back of the temples (look at my left temple with the bigger mole). It seem like the frontal hairline is actually more dense than the hair at the top and around the vertex now. I suspect that this may be a positive result from the minoxidil. However, the hairline looks the same..

I mentioned blood tests earlier in this thread, where I had a bit high hematocrit and hemoglobin. I took a new blood test today, since the doctor wanted to see if the values are still high. I suspect they still are, and I also suspect that it may be because of the combination dutasteride + arimidex.

I suspect that my testosterone levels are a bit high, which causes increased erythropoiesis (creation of new red blood cells). This might be bad, since it increases the risk of stroke and heart attack. The chances of that is probably low, since I'm only 25 and my heart is perfectly healthy (tested with EKG). I recently started weight lifting after a period of low volume training and fat loss. It seems like I'm gaining strength pretty fast, almost faster than ever - I can easily increase the weights in every exercise every week, but maybe this is just newbie gains.

No sexual side effects so far. I can easily masturbate up to 5 times a day if I want, lol. I don't notice any particulary watery semen, but I sometimes have a tingling feeling in my ballsack. Not in a bad way. It actually feels good in some way. I suspect it may be the now and then surges of LH/FSH going from the brain to the testicles, promoting production of sex steroids.

Pictures taken today:

View attachment 130371 View attachment 130372 View attachment 130373 View attachment 130374 View attachment 130376 View attachment 130377 View attachment 130378
Even with no regrowth at all, if your hair stays like this yiu are golden!

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Even with no regrowth at all, if your hair stays like this yiu are golden!

Yeah, I'm happy if I manage to keep it like this for another 3-5 years. Speaking of regrowth, I think I'm starting to see some very thin and small hairs growing out at some places in the hairline that wasn't there a few weeks ago. Crossing my fingers.

Fgsfds

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow you thickened up great. Get a hair transplant for the temples and never come back here you lucky bastard

LastHope123

My Regimen
Reaction score
did you switch from liquid minoxidil to foam?

No, I still use liquid minoxidil. The dandruff I experienced earlier disappeared. Before, I could see specks of dandruff in up to 5-10mm length. Now, if I run my hands through the hair, only tiny specs of dandruff falls down. I don't know why the dandruff went away, but I suspect that it may either be the ketokonazole 2% I've used now and then for a while, or changing the brands of minoxidil.

I have good experience with Kirkland liquid minoxidil and Qgain liquid minoxidil. The latter has extra low alcohol content, and I've bought both of them from Ebay.

I recieved the results on the last blood test yesterday. Liver values has went down to reference range. Same goes for hemoblogin. Hematocrit has went down to 52%, which is still above reference range but not in dangerous territory. This is good news, and the regimen is probably not the cause of this. Iron values were surprisingly high.

Before and now comparison:

before1.jpg now1.jpg

August to late October.
I think I see a few darker hairs growing at some spots in the frontal hairline. Hair that were not that visible before.

before2.jpg now2.jpg
Late March to late October.
Looks like more density in the temples.

before3.jpg now3.jpg
April to October.
More density in temples.

Also, notice how my skin improved during those months. I look a lot more healthy. That just proves how important exercise and good diet is for the looks.

Last edited: