Staring down strangers...

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ComeOnPropy said:
I think GeminX is like the best poster on here, your posts make me feel somewhat happier for some reason lol thankyou.
:agree: good energy over there!

beaner

Reaction score
dudemon said:
People like Tele Savales, Sinead O'Connor, and Patrick Stewart were considered "weird"

Maybe Sinead O'Connor because she is female, but I don't think Kojak or Captain Picard were ever considered to be "weird". Quite the opposite I suspect.

s.a.f

Reaction score
beaner said:
dudemon said:
People like Tele Savales, Sinead O'Connor, and Patrick Stewart were considered "weird"

Maybe Sinead O'Connor because she is female, but I don't think Kojak or Captain Picard were ever considered to be "weird". Quite the opposite I suspect.

Yeah I remember they definatley were back in the 80's.
Telly Savalas, Yul Bryner were both considered odd looking because they slick bald heads if they were just ordinary horseshoe guys then noone would of thought it odd but back then everyone had BIG hair, only Bhuddist monks shaved all their hair.
Infact Sinead O'Conner only buzzed her hair to about a grade 2/3 but people used to describe her as "that bald headed singer".

Its like Errol Brown the lead singer from Hot chocolate in the UK he was known as much for his shaved head as his music. These days a black guy with a shaved head is quite normal but just 20 yrs ago it was strange.
[attachment=0:3vs1kosl]hot%20chocolate.jpg[/attachment:3vs1kosl]

Attachments

• hot%20chocolate.jpg
    hot%20chocolate.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 525

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
If were talking 80's then Grace Jones was considered weird back then because she had a flat top, which was still considered a boy haircut. I don't even remember her having to shave her head to earn that reputation, although I wouldn't have put it past her that she did.

s.a.f

Reaction score
To me this video sums up 80's hair. :woot:

[youtube:3h2xlsqx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUSFoGMgGBU[/youtube:3h2xlsqx]

Look at the guy at 1:39 !!!!!!!!!! :punk: :shock:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
3 words. Flock of Seagulls.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
I think baldness is basically like a sliding scale, the reason its accepted today is because more and more people go bald YOUNGER. My Grandmother often remarks to me that baldness was non-existent until males were about 40 years old back in her day (20s - 30s) But then it slowly started to pick up. I think the genes for baldness have come to the forefront in the last 20 - 30 years and alot of people lose their hair alot faster. To me the 80s Generation was basically the last years of beautiful hair people hahah. Today you will notice ALOT of people lose their hair alot faster then people did years ago. And yes there are acceptions to that rule as alot of people here lost there hair young many years ago. But that is my take on it anyway.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Think of all the TALENT that the world is missing out on because bald musicians can't get the same publicity as those mucisians who fit the look. And don't tell me about stars that lost their hair AFTER they made it. Not the same. The rise of the music video basically ended many a homly artist's career. Eddy Money and the lead singer of Scorpions for example. Rock stars have to also be models now a days, or at least on the Disney Channel and MTV.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
Billy Corgan - Smashing pumpkins was balding when they became famous.

Lead singer from the Fray - Building when first song was released

David Drahman - Distrubed lead singer has been bald before he even started to sing

Lead Singer from Judas Priest was LOOSING his hair BAD when they became famous ROB HALFORD i believe his name was.

Joe Sartriani

Guirtarist from Slayer has always been bald.

So there are exceptions to the rules.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Think of all the TALENT that the world is missing out on because bald musicians can't get the same publicity as those mucisians who fit the look. And don't tell me about stars that lost their hair AFTER they made it. Not the same. The rise of the music video basically ended many a homly artist's career. Eddy Money and the lead singer of Scorpions for example. Rock stars have to also be models now a days, or at least on the Disney Channel and MTV.

Well as long as you are not aiming to be a celebrity, actor and so forth seriously why should this matter?

And EVEN then it really does depend on what type of music you are going into. Marylyn Manson for example has hair, but the guy looks like a freak.

Sure, if you want to be a lead singer of a boyband, then you probably aint going to cut it unless it suits you.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
But wait, I have more to read into. Show me a romantic comedy where the male love interest is bald. Norwood 6 bald. Even Vin Diesel has temperary micro pigmentation to hide his horseshoe. Jason Statham? Show me a cover for any one of his movies that doesn't crop his head just before the hairline? Bald people are just breaking into fair representation in the media, but it is still rare and is fighting against the momentum of painting the bald guy as the creep, looser or stooge or used by commercials to illustrate an inferior product. It kills me when they do that because they are insinuating that full heads are superior to baldies flat out. Blatant brainwashing. Oh, there's plenty to read into and if you choose to you will learn alot about the biases and prejudices that society harbors. I just happen to be in a situation where I notice it more than someone who doesn't have to worry about their hair and all the problems loosing it brings.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Right dude, and either science will evolve to the point where they can make baldness obsolete (praying) OR society will evolve past the point of even caring about baldness in the first place- true indifference. That was Gene Rodenburry's defense for choosing the bald captiain Jean Luke. It would be heaven on earth for me and every other bald man if we were treated as true equals and enjoy all the same benefits as full heads, but we are not there yet. There is still much ignorance and vanity to overcome.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
3 words. Flock of Seagulls.

Funnily enough 3 out of the 4 of them are bald now.

[attachment=1:2auxggmv]flock.jpg[/attachment:2auxggmv]

No prizes for guessing which member would be the only one to keep his hair.

[attachment=0:2auxggmv]499w.jpg[/attachment:2auxggmv]

Yep its the guy with the glasses.

dudemon said:
But, unless the bald population dramatically increases, I don't see anything changing much anytime soon. Perhaps in a few generations from now down the road, future balds won't suffer as much.

I think the increasing popularity of finasteride may stop that.

Attachments

• flock.jpg
    flock.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 499w.jpg
    499w.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 212

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

David Draimen of Disturbed

and of course...Chris Daughtry....hes been bald longer than hes been famous...and is one of the most successful current rock musicians out today....and ladies love this guy. So theres at least ONE example just so you don't think it can never happen

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Jason Statham? Show me a cover for any one of his movies that doesn't crop his head just before the hairline?
crank_dvd_cover.jpg

heheh, too easy! :)

Funny, I was just watching a debate earlier in the week about how (maybe only true on UK tV) that it was easier in the 70s and 80s for less-than-attractive celebs to get on TV. As far as I can tell there was a pretty high tolerance of bad wigs and combovers in celebrities with male pattern baldness...but perhaps this is cos thats all there was for men who didn't suit the Yul Brynner. I dunno, they were still popular despite the rugs.

_43046549_paul203.jpg

GeminiX

Reaction score
@Nashville: I was thinking the very same. I found about a dozen 70's and 80's era TV celebs, personalities etc. who had all forms of highly visible hair loss.

The problem is that the people on here like UC who don't *want* to see any evidence which proves them wrong will simply ignore it or change the goal-posts and come up with an entirely different argument as to why they are miserable and it's the worlds fault :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Nashville Hairline said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":13z6t6pg] Jason Statham? Show me a cover for any one of his movies that doesn't crop his head just before the hairline?
crank_dvd_cover.jpg

heheh, too easy! :)

Funny, I was just watching a debate earlier in the week about how (maybe only true on UK tV) that it was easier in the 70s and 80s for less-than-attractive celebs to get on TV. As far as I can tell there was a pretty high tolerance of bad wigs and combovers in celebrities with male pattern baldness...but perhaps this is cos thats all there was for men who didn't suit the Yul Brynner. I dunno, they were still popular despite the rugs.

_43046549_paul203.jpg
[/quote:13z6t6pg]

Not really getting the point there are you. Of course not all Stathams movie covers have his hairline obscured but a 'suprisingly high' number of them do.

And paul Daniels? A middle aged magician, his looks hardly matter do they, all that matters is that he can do tricks. He may be on tv but he's not a sex symbol, you've got to ask would he have made it as an actor?

GeminiX said:
@Nashville: I was thinking the very same. I found about a dozen 70's and 80's era TV celebs, personalities etc. who had all forms of highly visible hair loss.

I notice that you did'nt manage to actually give any examples though. :whistle:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
qball01 said:
uncomfortable man said:

David Draimen of Disturbed

and of course...Chris Daughtry....hes been bald longer than hes been famous...and is one of the most successful current rock musicians out today....and ladies love this guy. So theres at least ONE example just so you don't think it can never happen

He's got temple recession ala Phil Colins but far from bald. Q, bald is anything over nw4. People who still have hair and choose to shave it are just shaved...not bald. Bald means you can't grow hair on the top of your head. Chris Daughtry doesn't count, yet.

Attachments

• Chris_Daughtry.jpg
    Chris_Daughtry.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 204