Spraying isopropyl through lace vs dabbing it on to release a system. How to spray through easily and not waste too much isopropyl?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it seems there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to releasing a lace hair system - you can spray isopropyl through the system, which will detach the system and leave the tape on your head, which you can peel off after that. The other method is to gently lift the front (or back if you work from that way) and keep spraying isopropyl on the tape (or dab it on with a cotton pad soaked in isopropyl) as you gently pull the system off. This method detaches the system but leaves the tape still on the lace base. The disadvantage of this method is that you then have to pull the tape off the lace, which can pull some of the hair out too.

I am in favour of the 'spray through' method, however I'm finding it tricky to do because I have quite thick (and long) hair. It seems I have to spray a LOT of isopropyl on to get it to release, which is a waste, and it's also tricky to find the correct place to spray in on (i.e. directly over where the tape is). Is there a better and easier way to spray it through? I think Noah mentioned something about using a 'mustard bottle' or something like that - where can I get something like that for hair, and how is it done? Do you lift some of your hair up before putting the isopropyl on?

Thanks.

Noah

Reaction score
Yep, I have found the best thing is a squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle, like an American mustard bottle. Chefs use them a lot for food prep, so they are easily available. Try googling "food preparation bottle". The long nozzle means you can poke it through the hair and deliver the alcohol exactly where it needs to go - on the area of lace directly on top of where the adhesive it - without getting alcohol all over the hair, which would dry it out.

. CB594227-6D55-4E7F-8D43-55190B497F98-495-000000EE5F45A1FB.jpg

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of many tricks from Noah 2hich works. If you ever bough hair dye in a pharmacy, it usually contains one of those bottle to mixologist g gel 2ith peroxide..plastic and reusable

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This method of spraying/dripping alcohol through the hair to release the tape dries out the hair a lot - even when using the narrow nozzle bottle. What is the best way to avoid this?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This method of spraying/dripping alcohol through the hair to release the tape dries out the hair a lot - even when using the narrow nozzle bottle. What is the best way to avoid this?
It absolutely does NOT dry out the hair for the amount of time that the alcohol is on the hair. I have cleaned tape off of lace hundreds and hundreds of time with no adverse effects. The thing with alcohol and hair is letting it sit in your hair all day with leave-in product, since the alcohol does not all evaporate as some mistakenly believe.

My own systems that are lace, last years, and they get a weekly 20-min alcohol soak to remove tape. The hair being soaked is not worse than the hair that is not.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is an old thread. As an update - I did what Noah suggested and I bought a squeezable empty sauce bottle with a nozzle. It solved the problem and works really well. I can now get a very precise application of the isopropyl onto the tape through the system, leave it a minute or 2, then the system peels off easily.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It doesn't dry out the hair, especially if you're using a bottle with a nozzle as you are not even coating the whole system in isopropyl like you would with a spray bottle, but just the area where the tape/glue is. Even then, the isopropyl application is so precise that it goes through the system rather than coating it. However I agree with BaldBeared - pure isopropyl (well 99%) usually evaporates anyway. You are worrying about nothing, and I doubt you're talking from personal experience because you'd know this if you did.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't dry out the hair, especially if you're using a bottle with a nozzle as you are not even coating the whole system in isopropyl like you would with a spray bottle, but just the area where the tape/glue is. Even then, the isopropyl application is so precise that it goes through the system rather than coating it. However I agree with BaldBeared - pure isopropyl (well 99%) usually evaporates anyway. You are worrying about nothing, and I doubt you're talking from personal experience because you'd know this if you did.
What kind of bottle do you use, do you have a picture? I’ve tried using one but it doesn’t work well. It’s hard to control how much comes out and it feels like it’s just going all over the base and inevitably the hair.

Would this work well?

Attachments

• D0FD1702-C31C-4090-B106-2656AF7A7533.jpeg
    D0FD1702-C31C-4090-B106-2656AF7A7533.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 52

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of bottle do you use, do you have a picture? I’ve tried using one but it doesn’t work well. It’s hard to control how much comes out and it feels like it’s just going all over the base and inevitably the hair.

Would this work well?

I actually can't remember where I bought mine from, but it was online from a UK company and was not very expensive at all (it cost a few £s). Just Google 'catering squeeze sauce bottle with nozzle' or something similar and see what comes up. Anything along those lines will do. To give you a rough idea, here's a photo of the one I use:

IMG_20220311_185509.jpg

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually can't remember where I bought mine from, but it was online from a UK company and was not very expensive at all (it cost a few £s). Just Google 'catering squeeze sauce bottle with nozzle' or something similar and see what comes up. Anything along those lines will do. To give you a rough idea, here's a photo of the one I use:

View attachment 176952
How dirty are your hands?