Spironolactone

Quartz

Reaction score
:( Ok chaps, I am thinking of adding spironolactone to my regimen of just Finast 1mg a day, which after seven months is showing no sign of working. I have diffuse thinning with a small patch at the crown and thinning temples, but overall not bad coverage. As I started the Propecia with a view to just maintaining, is spironolactone the next logical addition to my armoury? I'm still at the stage where maintaining would just about be enough, but I'm getting nervous about giving Propecia the full year coz it really doesn't seem to be doing much and surely should have kicked in by now. I've heard that spironolactone is good for maintaining, as oppose to minoxidil which I don't want to start yet as I don't need regrowth just yet.....

hairybastard

Reaction score
spironolactone!!!!

Quartz,
Topical spironolactone is definitely the next thing to add. While finasteride inhibits the production of DHT, spironolactone works by actually blocking it from attaching to the androgen receptor by essentially attaching itself first. With roughly 75% of the affinity for these receptors that DHT has, spironolactone is a very good competitor for the androgen receptor. My personal experience is that is works very well and Dr. Proctor says it works by itself just as well as finasteride does. You can get it from Dr. Lee at minoxidil.com but the much more cost effective thing to do is mix your own using dermovan cream and Spironolactone tablets. Bryan has posted some good instructions for this somewhere in the archives of this forum. By the way are you using Nizoral shampoo and folligen (SOD) (just as essential as anything) Best O' Luck!!!!

Quartz

Reaction score
Thanks hairybastard...am not using Folligen as yet but am getting that ordered ASAP (is it better than Tricomin?). Just one more thing...does the hair become spironolactone-dependant in the same way that it would with Minoxidil? ie once I start with spironolactone, do I need to continue the treatment for the forseeable...

hairybastard

Reaction score
Quartz
Unfortunately right now the only permanent solution is transplantation. As for all the other treatments out there, they need to be used indefinitely in order to continue working. So if you were to stop taking finasteride and applying spironolactone then DHT would resume its normal production and receptor attachement and then eventual destruction of the hair follicle. To prevent this from happening the best approach is to 1. combat DHT(finasteride, spironolactone), 2. Stimulate growth (minoxidil, NANO), and 3. suppress superoxide in the scalp (folligen, tricomin)--(for more on this see: http://www.drproctor.com/baldfaq.htm
I use folligen and it works great for me. It apparently contains a lot more copper peptides than tricomin does however tricomin supposedly has "a better delivery vehicle". Plus folligen is like half as much $$$.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered 100mg tablets of spironolactone from drugsrus.org. I must say, i was quite shocked how quickly it came from India. It was at my doorstep in 1 week.

For 2 weeks now this is what I do: I crush 1/3 of a tablet of spironolactone with a mortar pastel into fine powder in a small, plastic bowl. then i pump my FNS cream a few times in the bowl and mix it up. It doesn't have to be exact. granted, FNS is extremely expensive as a delivery method, but i'm killing two birds with one stone. i get the great conditioning/supposed hair growth attributes of fns with the proven DHT inhibiting power of spironolactone. The whole process takes less than 3 minutes. I do this almost every night, and so don't have to worry about it stinking up the place, like others report.

if anyone thinks it isn't a good idea, please tell. some of you guys seem to be scientists and i'm not by any means. if these two drugs cancel each other out or make a dangerous mixture, you can reply here. i doubt it tho.

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed shedding or serious hair thining while on the spironolactone? My hair is starting to look really thin after using this stuff for almost a year (about 5 days a week).

REceding Boy:

Are you from the US? I was thinking of ordering from DrugsRUs but was a bit hesitant ordering overseas. How has your experience been with them. Is it legal to get spironolactone from there?

Thanks!

Follicle

Reaction score
spironolactone

I cant say tht i'vehad serious loss from spironolactone but it has not helped like I thought it would after 16 months.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Stone: I'm from where you're from. TX.

HairyBastard: i use a normal one like from the grocery stores. i was able to find a metal one though its strong as shiet, and i crush the hell out of the tablets.

Mr Clean

Reaction score
RecedingBoy what did that damn spironolactone ever do to you, lol.

I think that spironolactone is beginning to work for me. My daily hairloss has decreased dramatically. I was losing like 100 hairs a day before, but now I am only losing like 20 a day. I'm not very surprised because I have read that spironolactone always works well, but how well it works is the case. In my case, it will hopefully help a lot! I will keep you guys posted. :D

Mr Clean

Reaction score
This spironolactone stuff is drying my scalp a lot and making me itch like crazy. I hope to the lord almighty that this stuff will work.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
hey mr. clean, just 2 months ago you saw think you saw results. i'd stay on it man. but, for the itching do you use folligen and nizoral? those are a must in my eyes. folligen is the one thing that isn't too $$ either because i just spray lightly in my damp hair. good luck bro

Alain

Reaction score
I'll post here a message I wrote at alt.baldpot.
Hoping I'll get further information !

Hi,

I've been using topical spironolactone for 6 months and now I wonder if it can have
any systemic effects on me like decrease in sex drive and softer erections.
I'm also using finasteride, so of course, I should blame it first for the
symptoms I have ... but the point is I am experiencing those symptoms more
now than before spironolactone, although I have lowered my finasteride intake and
spent a few weeks off the drug now and then.

I have heard about the study stating that people rubbing 55% of their bodies
with spironolactone cream didn't show any systemic absorption of the drug. That
should be solid evidence. However :
* can absorption depend on the cream base used ?
* can systemic effects appear in the long course, when the drug is rubbed
everyday on the scalp, resulting in a very low but regular quantity of the
drug being absorbed every day ?

I am using Dr Lee's 5% cream and I'm happy with the results at my hairline.
Actually I only apply it there, but surprisingly enough, I have somewhat
denser hair far behind my hairline, which would account for measurable skin
diffusion ... if not systemic absorption.
As I'm only treating my hairline, I don't apply more than 10mg of spira a
day.

There's also what I read on the lipoxidil site :
" We now have encapsulated Spironolactone in sphingolipid liposomes to
improve skin penetration. The concentration was reduced to 2 % to avoid any
systemic side effects."
Is is true information that spironolactone cream CAN have systemic effects, or only a
selling argument for their delivery method ?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alain.

Quartz

Reaction score
I received my 5 per cent tub of spironolactone a couple of days ago and just have a few questions for some of the veteran users!

1) The instructions say it can be kept at room temperature but I heard tell of the need to keep it refrigerated. Anyone clear that up?

2) I'm applying it just once every evening - not enough to make a difference?

3) How much to use?! 'A thin film' is open to interpretation! I'ma diffuse thinner so am going for the hairline/temples and at the crown. But do you boys find it difficult to spread it through the scalp due to it's thickness?

4) With the above in mind, I've heard there's a liquid available (tho no mention on Dr Lee's site)...might this be easier to apply?

Cheers for your time all.

Quartz

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Quartz:

As a peron who's used both the 5% cream and the 2% liquid, I find that the 2% liquid is easier to apply, especially if you have areas that still have a fair amount of hair. My problem with the 2% is that the alcohol can dry out your hair and scalp. The 5% doesnt seem to do this that much.

Quartz

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com - What do you make of the above?

I suppose the trade off is between potency (5% or 2%) and delivery.

StoneCold - can you get this stuff from Dr Lee? I have to say I haven't seen it advertised there.

Does it take the form of a spray, similar to Tricomin?

More info would be appreciated!

Quartz

StoneCold316

Reaction score
Quartz:

Dr Lee should have both as I have just ordered some of the 2% solution last month. Perhaps try both?

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys

does Dr. Lee's 2% spironolactone contain propylene glycol. Has anybody allergic to propylene glycol or minoxidil tried his spironolactone?

cosmo gene

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
MrTelogen

Thanks...yup, his 2% does contain propylene glycol, his 5% spironolactone does not though.

What I really want is a 2%-3% spironolactone solution, so, I think I'm gonna dilute the 5% lotion with some water. I don't want to go through the hassle of customizing a preparation with the spironolactone tablets just yet.

cosmo gene