spironolactone: when does it kick in?

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
flamingpie said:
im thinking of adding spironolactone to my regime as well. Ive been on rogaine foam for 5 months. Oddly enough my hair looked the best 3 months in, now ive lost some of what i've gained.
How long were you guys using minoxidil before you decided to add spironolactone? am i adding it too soon?

i think you should just add it whenever you want. not much point in waiting

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
guybrush said:
I'm a diffuse thinner and I find it hard to apply to the entire scalp. :(

Switch to liquid I got better results when I did

rcom440

Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
guybrush said:

better results? like? Explain please.
Liquid is 2% spironolactone.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
guybrush said:

Yeah, I did too but I started to get sides: hypotension and low libido. It was just a few days after quiting finasteride though...

I switched to a low antiandrogen combination: spironolactone 0,05% and 11 hydroxyprogesterone 0,025%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...med_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1

I believe this one may work even better than the 5%.

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
guybrush said:
Dblbass128 said:
guybrush said:

Yeah, I did too but I started to get sides: hypotension and low libido. It was just a few days after quiting finasteride though...

I switched to a low antiandrogen combination: spironolactone 0,05% and 11 hydroxyprogesterone 0,025%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...med_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1

It was probably the finasteride because topical finasteride gave me wicked sides

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
guybrush said:
Dblbass128 said:
guybrush said:

Really interesting study! And it's from 1988 too, can't believe I haven't noticed it before.

Combining an anti- androgen with an alpha reductase inhibitor certainly seems to be a good approach; remember the synergistic effect of finasteride and ketoconazole.
Add a hair growing agent too, and you've covered pretty much all the bases (maybe throw in an anti- inflammatory agent for good measure)

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish we had the full article because there should be interesting information there. Note that the synergy was only found at low concentrations of spironolactone and progesterone but the regular doses produced neither an additive nor synergistic effect.. it makes me you wonder, doesn't it? Definitely less is more... :)

They argue it may be due to a greater percutaneous absorption but who knows. I'm also wondering if adding minoxidil could spoil the trick.

rcom440

Reaction score
I dont think we are wasting our money Guybrush. I know it thicken my hair and it seem that I lose much less hair since I started spironolactone.

what you mean by "health" ?

rcom440

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long spironolactone has been on the market as a Hair Loss treatment?
It's relatively new treatment isn't it?

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting studies guybrush. How can two ingredients be synergistic at low concentrations but lose this synergistic effect at higher concentrations?

Spironolactone is supposedly metabolized before it reaches the bloodstream so even at high concentrations such as 5% there shouldn't be any side effects (at least not with a cream vehicle). However I don't doubt the people that claim side effects from topical spironolactone.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
Does anyone know how long spironolactone has been on the market as a Hair Loss treatment?
It's relatively new treatment isn't it?

spironolactone is one of the oldest treatments for hair loss...

BTW, I got sides from spironolactone 5% (low pressure and libido), this is what I meant by health. I understand most people doesn't experience this though...

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
baller234 said:
Interesting studies guybrush. How can two ingredients be synergistic at low concentrations but lose this synergistic effect at higher concentrations?

Who knows... :dunno:

Please someone come and explain lol :)

rcom440

Reaction score
does anyone of you use Dr. Lee 5% spironolactone cream? If so how does it smell.

I just got Dr. Lee but it smell to me like a regular cream vs. spironolactone - s5 5% spironolactone Cream has a specific smell.
I use both now. S5 and Dr. Lee's

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
does anyone of you use Dr. Lee 5% spironolactone cream? If so how does it smell.

I just got Dr. Lee but it smell to me like a regular cream vs. spironolactone - s5 5% spironolactone Cream has a specific smell.

Dr. Lee's have a slight smell of spironolactone if you get close enough. If you feel unsure about it, I suggest you applying a little bit somewhere and then adding a drop of minoxidil. :p