spironolactone: when does it kick in?

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
i hate to be the guy asking the "when does it work? is it working already?" questions. but i was wondering what would be a reasonable time to expect spironolactone to stop the shedding (if it even does).

i know that with most things it takes 6 months or so, but is that true with spironolactone as well?

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
this is only my first week on it. i was being naive and was hoping it would work IMMEDIATELY haha. shoulda known better. i'll see what happens in a couple months, though it'll be hard to tell if the spironolactone is actually working cause i might be on dutasteride by then

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say about 4 months for stopping hair loss and 8 months for improvement.

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
Gubter87 said:
I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so fast to resort to dutasteride.

Give the spironolactone an honest shot at working, many people have had success with it. If it does not work, try applying it twice a day or combining it with finasteride.
Don't go straight to dutasteride!

i'm not "so fast" in resorting to dutasteride. i've been on propecia for about 3 years (with little or no side effects) and have given minoxidil/nizoral a 8 month try. i think the results have been pretty fair, but i'm losing ground again.

based on the empirical evidence (ie. what we see), spironolactone just isn't as effective as propecia or anything in the big 3. i'm not saying it doesnt work, im just saying that with all things considered, spironolactone is OK at best. and considering that 1. male pattern baldness is in my genes, and 2. the results of the big 3 have only been ok, i don't think it's logical to put all my hopes on spironolactone. it would have to be a downright miracle.

rcom440

Reaction score
When it comes to spironolactone,
I noticed results within 2 months. I've got ticker hair and I don't see much hair when I wash my scalp. It seems that my hair got stronger ticker and healthier. I'm planing to add Hair Signals to the equation.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
I noticed results within 2 months. I've got ticker hair and I don't see much hair when I wash my scalp. It seems that my hair got stronger ticker and healthier. I'm planing to add Hair Signals to the equation.

Can you tell us which spironolactone are you using and how often do you apply it?

rcom440

Reaction score
guybrush said:
rcom440 said:

Can you tell us which spironolactone are you using and how often do you apply it?

2x a day, S5 spironolactone (5%) but spironolactone is spironolactone. It doesn't matter if its S5 or Dr. Lee or something else as long as its 5%

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
guybrush said:
rcom440 said:

2x a day, S5 spironolactone (5%) but spironolactone is spironolactone. It doesn't matter if its S5 or Dr. Lee or something else as long as its 5%

Right, but spironolactone cream may yield improved results compared to liquid. BTW 2x a day it's very hard to achieve... do you use it just in certain areas? (i made you this question in another spironolactone thread)ç

Thanks!

rcom440

Reaction score
Guybrush Threepwood,
2 x a day is not hard to achieve. Simply wash your hair in the morning, then when dry simply apply spironolactone wait around 10 min for the cream to get absorbed in the skin. Style your hair and you are all set.
Same at night without washing your hair and styling of course unless you have a date. AT night I apply minoxidil first wait 1 hour and then spironolactone and go to bed.

I'm using spironolactone on my hairline, and the crown. You don't have to apply a lot just make sure you spread it around and cover the area where you are tinning or may be tinning.

DarkVctry

Established Member
Reaction score
Where can i get this spironolactone from ??? Im having alot of trouble finding it, and i tried to order it off this site but it always says problem with processing my order try later.

rcom440

Reaction score
DarkVctry said:
Where can i get this spironolactone from ??? Im having alot of trouble finding it, and i tried to order it off this site but it always says problem with processing my order try later.

try Dr. Lee's web site minoxidil.com but you have to request consultation first which is additional $10 (one fee only)

guitar66

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
Guybrush Threepwood,
2 x a day is not hard to achieve. Simply wash your hair in the morning, then when dry simply apply spironolactone wait around 10 min for the cream to get absorbed in the skin. Style your hair and you are all set.
Same at night without washing your hair and styling of course unless you have a date. AT night I apply minoxidil first wait 1 hour and then spironolactone and go to bed.

I'm using spironolactone on my hairline, and the crown. You don't have to apply a lot just make sure you spread it around and cover the area where you are tinning or may be tinning.

You mentioned that it thickened up your crown and temples? I plan on using spironolactone for the entire top portion to combat diffuse thinning.. do you think that will be effective? In other words, do you think spironolactone is only good for temple/crown isolated areas, or is it possible that it will help with diffuse as well?

also, which one do you usually use... Dr Lee's, or the one on this sight?

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a diffuse thinner and I find it hard to apply to the entire scalp. :(

rcom440

Reaction score
guitar66 said:
rcom440 said:
Guybrush Threepwood,

You mentioned that it thickened up your crown and temples? I plan on using spironolactone for the entire top portion to combat diffuse thinning.. do you think that will be effective? In other words, do you think spironolactone is only good for temple/crown isolated areas, or is it possible that it will help with diffuse as well?

Since want to combat combat diffuse thinning, I would recommend liquid spironolactone. Cream would be very hard to spread around entire scalp.

No, I don't think spironolactone is good only for hairline or crown. It's a antiandrogen.

I just noticed that Dr. Lee sells only 2% spironolactone in liquid form. If I were you I would buy liquid 2% spironolactone + spironolactone cream Lotion 5% w/o Propylene Glycol at http://www.minoxidil.com
Use liquid in the area that cream may be hard to apply.

davestep

Reaction score
rcom440?

i have been using s5 cream for about 2 months now. i am pleased with the results i have already. it has not stopped my hairloss but has slowed it down.

i was on minoxidil but stopped it when i got s5 cream because when used together the smell is terrible. after using s5 cream on its own for two months i am happy. when i wash my hair i now have just a couple of hairs on my hands when i use to have like 20.

i now know i need to add a regrowth product to it though. i got back on the minoxidil 7% i have a couple of days ago, and literally the 1st day i washed my hair after using it, there were like 20 hairs falling out again, plus the smell is back.

can minoxidil be doing more harm than good? even when i was using it for 18 months with no breaks, i had like 20 hairs every wash, when i dont use it, like 2 hairs come out. i just dont know wether to stick with it or not? i no i need more than just s5 though?

rcom440

Reaction score
davestep said:
rcom440?

i have been using s5 cream for about 2 months now. i am pleased with the results i have already. it has not stopped my hairloss but has slowed it down.

i was on minoxidil but stopped it when i got s5 cream because when used together the smell is terrible. after using s5 cream on its own for two months i am happy. when i wash my hair i now have just a couple of hairs on my hands when i use to have like 20.

i now know i need to add a regrowth product to it though. i got back on the minoxidil 7% i have a couple of days ago, and literally the 1st day i washed my hair after using it, there were like 20 hairs falling out again, plus the smell is back.

can minoxidil be doing more harm than good? even when i was using it for 18 months with no breaks, i had like 20 hairs every wash, when i dont use it, like 2 hairs come out. i just dont know wether to stick with it or not? i no i need more than just s5 though?

Yes I noticed that I lose less hair while I'm using spironolactone and my hair got thicker, so, so far so good. I added Hair Signals to the equation. I apply minoxidil first then wait around hour and then apply spironolactone.
I don't think minoxidil is doing any harm, however, you shed the hair that are weak and minoxidil helps to regrow thicker stronger hair.
Stick with minoxidil but don't over applied. 1ml or less. In my case, I noticed that less is more when it comes to monox.

rcom440

Reaction score
spironolactone (everyday) + nizoral (3 times a week) is a good start.

davestep

Reaction score
thanks, i will stick with minoxidil. was always told to use 2ml minoxidil, but will cut it down to 1ml once a day and s5 cream twice a day. report bk soon. cheers

guitar66

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
guitar66 said:
rcom440 said:
Guybrush Threepwood,

Since want to combat combat diffuse thinning, I would recommend liquid spironolactone. Cream would be very hard to spread around entire scalp.

No, I don't think spironolactone is good only for hairline or crown. It's a antiandrogen.

I just noticed that Dr. Lee sells only 2% spironolactone in liquid form. If I were you I would buy liquid 2% spironolactone + spironolactone cream Lotion 5% w/o Propylene Glycol at http://www.minoxidil.com
Use liquid in the area that cream may be hard to apply.

awesome, thanks for the advice. I plan in ordering soon. I really would just like to maintain.. a little thickening would be great, however just maintaining would be fine. I'm going to stick with the spironolactone combo and nizoral for now.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
im thinking of adding spironolactone to my regime as well. Ive been on rogaine foam for 5 months. Oddly enough my hair looked the best 3 months in, now ive lost some of what i've gained.
How long were you guys using minoxidil before you decided to add spironolactone? am i adding it too soon?