spironolactone Shampoo Saved My Hair..

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LostWind, what shampoo did you use to mix with the spironolactone? Ragin, I'm trying to incorporate this into my regimen in an attempt to save/restore as much hair as I can. Everything I use revolves around Finpecia.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that it all depends on the intensity of hairloss I guess, like for some its less severe than others...maybe some can do alright with topicals and some need internals...as you can see you never respond the same way to treatments as the next guy..

ripple effect I mixed spironolactone with nizoral

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't add PG, I crushed the pills... took out the nizoral into a separate container...added the powder mixed everything pretty well and added back to the nizoral bottle...everytime before using, im shaking it well... for now I cant really tell if its working or not too early..

Texx

Reaction score
hi,
i´ve got 50 spironolactone pills and a mild PH 5,5 shampoo which is very viscous.
How could i make it more liquid and probably also lower the PH a tad?

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
This was a very interesting thread but now the original question is starting to get lost.

So, it's been several months. Does anyone have any answers or feedback about the original experiment? Is shampoo'd spironolactone usage doing any better than not using spironolactone at all? Any thoughts/feedback on the absorption?

What about the smell in a shampoo'd setup? Normal topical spironolactone reeks like hell.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What shampoo are you using Texx? Cal, I don't think the spironolactone shampoo smells. I only heard people describing a cooling sensation.

Is the spironolactone shampoo at least slowing down hair loss for anyone? That would be good enough for me.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Any news from the spironolactone shampoo guys? If anyone wants to experiment with the moogoo shampoo I'll send them a bottle. I'm not game enough to try this out myself yet.

CCS

Reaction score
I used up my spironolactone shampoo months ago. I thought my hair had gotten thicker, but I don't know if that was from using nizoral/spironolactone combo every day and was just the nizoral doing that, or if it was just an illusion since my hair was growing out.

I did not make more yet because i was worried about whether there were any reactions or if it stayed fresh. But those worries were just in theory. I never smelled or saw anything weird. The shampoo just immediately took on and kept the minty smell of the spironolactone tablets. After re-reading this thread, and seeing that some docs made a spironolactone/keto combo, I guess I'll give it another go. spironolactone is more stable at pH 4.3, and I think keto is more stable closer to 6, but that does not mean they break down right away at the other pH; it might just mean you have to use it up in smaller amounts and can't leave it on a store shelf for a year.

The reason I put some PG in my shampoo was to keep it liquidy, since a lot of powder will probably make it too thick. I also know that PG dissolved spironolactone, though i don't use much PG, so it is not a big dissolving factor. Just better than water, and very mixable in the shampoo.

Recipe for 1% spironolactone: gride up 18 100mg spironolactone pills as finely as you can. Any small chuncks might not dissolve and will result in less spironolactone in your shampoo. 80% of those pills is just cellulose, which will not dissolve. Don't worry if it sits at the bottom. But some spironolactone might get attracted to it again later, so you need to stir it up now and then. This adds about $5 and some labor to the cost of your 180mL nizoral bottle. I try to leave it in my hair 5 minutes, but I don't time it. Just depends how long it takes me to clean my body. I'm not going to stand in the shower doing nothing.

I'm going to add a little white curcumin, egcg, apple poly, tea tree oil, and rosemary, totally at most 1%, to my piroctone olamine shampoo (ginger bodyshop, on amazon). I rotate that with the nizoral.

I might use a 2% peppermint essential oil, 1% lavendar essential oil, 90% everclear, 7% DI water spray on my virtex once a day. Not sure if I want to buy that stuff or not. But I am going to get rogaine foam for just my vertex, and try to make it last more than a month per can. They are $13 per can now.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i dont think any shampoo can save your hair, external DHT blocker is so weak comparing to a internal one such as dutasteride, finasteride, I think you should contribute your regrowth/maintaining on minoxidil.

CCS

Reaction score
I was not using minoxidil on top or in back, where I thought the regrowth was.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
masculineyourheart said:
Any news from the spironolactone shampoo guys? If anyone wants to experiment with the moogoo shampoo I'll send them a bottle. I'm not game enough to try this out myself yet.

hmm...i may have to take you up on that offer

CCS

Reaction score
cmudave said:
masculineyourheart said:

hmm...i may have to take you up on that offer

Just use it. The only reason I don't use it is I don't want to remove one of my other shampoos from my treatment. But I am tempted. Maybe I'll put 1/2% in my licorice shampoo, since I already acidified it anyway.

CCS

Reaction score
If you are already using Nizoral 3 days a week and piroctone olamine the other 4, I could understand you not wanting to give something up to replace with spironolactone shampoo. I still suspect the spironolactone shampoo is better than the piroctone olamine. But if you have some cheap shampoo rotated with nizoral, then definitely take that out of there and add the spironolactone.

spironolactone is most stable at pH 4, and piroctone olamine at pH 6. So if the two are in the same bottle, don't make a lot at once. Just make maybe a 1 month supply.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Moogoo shampoo is..... awesome.

Spirosavedme could've been a spammer but I'm going to take up the spironolactone shampoo anyway because I don't have an antiandrogen in my regimen at the moment and this seems like a good place to start until I work out something better. I'll make it just the same way he said he did, CCS elucidates on the process nicely on page 4.

Any Aussies having trouble with an irritated scalp or weak, dry hair should have a look at the shampoo just on its own. They don't ship it worldwide yet so everyone else misses out. Go us.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, after trying out this home-made spironolactone shampoo concoction for a few weeks, I'd recommend against it.

I obviously wouldn't know whether there has been any benefit to my hair after this short amount of time but I can already smell something going off in the shampoo. Granted, I kept it on the bathroom sink rather than in the fridge but I reckon for most people it'd be impractical keeping shampoo in there anyway.

So yeah, big fail to the home-made spironolactone shampoo idea using moogoo. Worth a try though.
I'll just go back to using the shampoo on its own and look for another topical anti-androgen.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS you still using this spironolactone shampoo?

Where do you get your apple poly from?