spironolactone Shampoo Saved My Hair..

JonA

Reaction score
can we add another ingrediant to the shampoo??? lets say apple polly?? or saw palmetto?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
MPBthoroughbred said:
G'day, what's the benefit of applying spironolactone by combining with shampoo?
Why not just apply the topical spironolactone directly?

Where do you get topical spironolactone?

haaribo

Reaction score
hoople said:
I'm currently shampooing with Nizoral and then adding approx 2ml of 5% liquid spironolactone (CEM), waiting five mins, and washing off.
The 5% spironolactone liquid was so smelly i'd stopped using it as a topical, i'm glad i've now found a way to use it without my head stinking.

Hoople. I got the same spironolactone as you and indeed it smells! Stopped using it aswell.. How do you mix it with your shampoo? When its in the bottle? Or do you put it on a side from your shampoo? And mix it along when its on your head? What are your results using it?

CCS

Reaction score
my frontal tuff is looking thicker. Maybe it is my imagination, since I was so bothered by it a few weeks ago. Just using finasteride and my shampoos. Strange how my opinion changes so much in cycles. Anyway, I was parting it a lot and not bothering me so much. Maybe my standards, and not the hair itself, have changed.

Anyway, I'm about to use 2.5% minoxidil, 0.005% retin-A, 1% apple poly, and 2% RU in the same topical and put that on my head for a while, once a day after my shower. I'll put the remainder of my Prox-N on my lighter colored hairs once a day too, probably right before the other mixture so it spreads it. That should all run out in 6 months. Then I have 2 months of eucapil.

ryand2

Established Member
Reaction score
so can this be mixed with revita? and if anyone feels like chiming in, is it possible to crush up spironolactone tablets and mix them with somethign like spectral, and if so, what would the dosing be for one bottle?

CCS

Reaction score
I would only add 1%. More than that and you may precipitate some of the other ingredients. spironolactone is most stable at pH 4.5. So an acidic shampoo is better. That or mix a little at a time. The more concentrated you make it, the less likely it will dissolve down to molecule sized chunks.

hoople

Reaction score
haaribo
I rub in the nizoral shampoo and then I add 2ml of spironolactone (from its own bottle) to my scalp and rub that in on top of the nizoral. I wait 5mins and then wash off. I don't know if its doing any good as i've only been using this for a few weeks. My shed hasn't decreased unfortunately.

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Soooo, there hasn't been any posts on this for a while. How is everyone making out with the spironolactone shampoo?

CCS

Reaction score
spironolactone shampoo is at best as good as topical spironolactone. Don't think the shampoo will save your hair if the topical has not. The reason to use the shampoo is so it is less messy: you just rinse out.

I used up my bottle of nizoral/spironolactone. I think I'll make up more spironolactone shampoo with baby shampoo and a little lemon juice.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How long do you leave your spironolactone/nizoral shampoo on for CCS before you rinse it out?

CCS

Reaction score
I don't know how long. I get in the shower, pre-wash for 10-20 seconds with a cheap shampoo, rinse out, run hot water over my scalp for a minute, then turn off the shower head. I scrub 1-2mL of good shampoo into my scalp for minutes, starting with the thinning areas, and keep the excess foam out of my eyes. Then I scrub the rest of my body, turn the shower back on, rinse my body, wait a little longer, then wash my face and rinse my hair. I'm guessing 5 minutes, though since I've been late to class in the moring, I think some days I've been in there 15 minutes.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone one of you guys still using the "spironolactone shampoo"?
I made it today crushed 20 pills and mixed with Nizoral 2% left for like over 5% my scalp felt very cold, has anyone experience this sensation? has anyone noticed anything positive with the shampoo?

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Re:

collegechemistrystudent said:
Bertie said:
Spironolactone has very poor solubility in water, and water is the main ingredient in every shampoo I've ever heard of --
http://www.drugs.com/pro/spironolactone.html

So I don't know how your spironolactone is even dissolving. Shampoo does sometimes contain things like alcohol (in which spironolactone is soluble) and probably other ingredients that dissolve it as well, but the concentration of such ingredients is probably very relevant to whether your spironolactone will dissolve in there.

good points. though surfactants in shampoo are designed to dissolve oil in water. the spironolactone would act like an oil. so no problem there.

Exactly.
hh

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
Lostwind, keep us updated on your progress, im thinking about trying out the spironolactone shampoo route as well

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, what are the updates on the spironolactone shampoo users? I'm tempted to try this as well. Are you experiencing less sheds? I wish the spironolactone dude went into a little more detail into what he experienced during his 10 months prior to his success. Then we could have an idea or something to lean on to let us know if we're headed in the right direction. Also, I'm kind of curious to know why CCS added PPG to his spironolactone shampoo mix, but the spironolactone dude didn't. (Not good @ chemistry yet) SpiroSavedMe just crushed all 100 of the tablets and threw them in. Isn't that too much? What was the spironolactone-shampoo ratio per ml? Wouldn't that go way over 5% concentration, but then again I do not know the size of the bottle of shampoo (MoGoo) he used. I'd rather just throw it in w/o adding anything else if possible.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I saw on hairlosshelp that SpiroSavedMe also used dutasteride, so it's possible that not all or any of his hair came from spironolactone shampoo. Any thoughts?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Will someone reply already? Even if you don't use it, tell us why you don't. Do you think it won't work? Do you not want to make it? Do you think the person who made this post is a scam artist? What is it?!? :)

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Will someone reply already? Even if you don't use it, tell us why you don't. Do you think it won't work? Do you not want to make it? Do you think the person who made this post is a scam artist? What is it?!? :)

I'm using it for a couple of weeks already...I cant tell you if I see any difference yet...I like the cool sensation that it gives me though. since I buzzed my hair my shedding has completely halted I dont see even 1 hair on my hands when I shampoo my head, but that again my hair is short...

I buzzed cause my hair was pretty oily and I wanted to treat my scalp somehow to make it more healthy so I applied virgin coconut oil on my scalp and kept it for one hour...I can tell that the oil production has decreased...I was reading that as well that it shrinks the sebum glands... but ill keep you posted with the spironolactone shampoo hehe

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I personally don't believe a topical DHT blocker alone will save your hair. If it worked for you, congrats!