Someone explain to me how dutasteride doesn't cause frontal thinning...*PIC INCLUDED

paulsteel0

Reaction score
Hm interesting. The oral min can like disgifure your face though I think. dutasteride disfigures your balls and oral min disfigures your face. *sigh* It's not easy fighitng hair loss. Not but I'm sure some people have good luck with dutasteride/finasteride combo or dutasteride alone it's just not me and a lot of people as well have frontal thinning like I've had.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
Man it looks good. Month 4 was magic. I noticed all month it was easier to style. I could cut it short and not be scared the wind would blow. Something just seemed thicker. And when it was time to take the 4 month update picture I was pleasantly surprised it looks pretty good. I think all hair look thinner when you part it in half then take a flash photograph over the bathroom sink, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the density is somewhat close to average. It definitely looks better and I'm not quite here I was when I experimented with Avodart but I'm pretty happy. Also 2 weeks ago or so I started on 1.66mg of finasteride. Proscar cut into thirds. No side effects except for a really mild nut ache that lasts a couple seconds ever 4 or 5 days. I don't know if going from 1.25 to 1.66 will do anything but someone who posted on this board once said that they took a blood test and going up from 1.25 to 1.66 did in fact lower their dht levels. I figured it can't hurt.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that your hair looks much thicker and better now! Good on you!!

Lennox

Reaction score
Hey i am
a Bit confused right now
are u still on dutasteride or do you take the old regime finasteride only sucessfully
best regards

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is dumb.
It isn't surprising OP's hair looks worse after 7 weeks on dutasteride, this is how it works, it increases hair growth, thus making hair in telogen phase fall out to make room for new hair, and it typically lasts 3-4 months, which is a lot longer than 7 weeks.

It's stupid to stop a hair loss medication because you feel like it doesn't work after 7 weeks, damn, do some research.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'm already a good responder of finasteride; I've been taking it for the last 12 years, it has helped maintained my hair for the most part.

I then added 0.5 mg dutasteride daily. I've been taking both dutasteride and finasteride for the last 5 months, and I have massive shed in the crown area.

How do I tell if it's shedding, or it's because I've taken both drug in the same day, every day, and mess up my internal hormone?

I'm thinking of just taking dutasteride daily from now on. Or should I drop dutasteride, and take finasteride only?

HairrisonFord

Reaction score
I know it's hard to do, but be patient and give it some time. Shedding is a good sign. It means the hairs have gone into the telogen phase where they can remain for 2 to 4 months. If the hairs continue to grow back with a shaft thinner in diameter, then some additional measures need to be taken. dutasteride worked for me but the hairline just didn't respond well. I think you'll find others with similar experiences. Try something outside of the big 3 for the hairline.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Okay so this is just horrible. After being a good responder to finasteride and stable for three years on 1.25mg Proscar, I decided to add 0.5mg of Avodart once a week to my regimen. Why, because I waited to do anything about my hairloss at first and in the time I waited I lost a little patch up front that I never did grow back on finasteride. I wondered if maybe one capsule of dutasteride a week could help me out with that. And, if nothing else, maybe it could act as a little bit of insurance for the long run. A little extra DHT suppression. I also read the Australian study about the man who added one capsule a week of Avodart to his regimen and had great results. I'm sure many are familiar with it. I added one 0.5mg capsule of Avodart a week for 7 weeks. I took 1.25mg of Proscar everyday during this time period, including the days I took the Avodart. I started shedding right away, and it became noticeable at week three. I decided to tough it out. Then it began to dawn on me it wasn't realistic to grow all the hair I'm losing back. This isn't hair being pushed into a growth phase. There is no way a shed this serious is a precursor to growth. I've simply lost too much hair for that. This is crazy. When that point was reached I decided my Avodart experiment was a failed one and I stopped taking it. I am beginning my second week off the medicine this week. So after taking the medicine for 7 weeks, one pidly Avodart capsule a week, I have now ceased for a week and a half now. But I shed badly up front. And unfortunately I am still thinning even after being off the medicine. I did a ton of research on Avodart before I started. Read both success and horror stories. Thought about it a lot. And decided to try a low-dose thinking if my experiment went awry it was such a low-dose it wouldn't be a big deal. Well amazingly even a low-dose of Avodart can be this devastating. I have attached a picture I took today. I have a bald spot at the front of my head. It used to be a little patch that had been maintained for the past three years. Now it is about a centimeter wider and goes back about two inches farther. It really sucks. I can't hide my hairloss anymore :

( If anyone has any thoughts for me I'd appreciate them. If anyone wants to tell me I'm an idiot feel free I deserve it and maybe some other twit under the spell of hair greed will read it and be deterred fro doing what I did. If anyone has any hope for me I'd like to hear it. I've read about people growing back Avodart sheds, and I've read about people not growing them back. I don't know what will happen. I've been trying to calculate the half-life of 1 capsule of Avodart a week so I can get an idea when the drug should be mostly out of my system and my situation should stabilize. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them. At such a low dose I figure it should be for the most part out of my system in couple weeks. Well here is the horror. I think it's obvious which one is the Avodart terror. The other one is the small patch I was trying to fill in. Talk about GREED. I hate myself. I would add though that that second picture was taken three years ago. It's just the best one I have. My small patch had gotten a -bit- larger in that time span so take that into consideration, but hardly by much. It was stable in every sense of the word. The shed as I said made my spot widen by a centimeter or more and go back a couple inches. And thin brutally. Nice big happy thick brown hairs I don't understand why.

***1 MONTH UPDATE*** It's been a little over one month but I took this picture exactly at one month. (It's the third picture on the far right.) I hadn't cut my hair so it's a little longer in this new pic but all I can say is the shedding definitely stopped. I took like 50 pics to make sure I wasn't kidding myself but for some reason this picture does look better than the one a month ago. I'm not sure why because it's not long enough of a span of time for any hair to regrow but it seems like possibly some that were suffocating and wilting away got some of their natural life and health back. But I don't know for sure about that. All I can say is that 1 month in the shedding has stopped. I'll update again in about two weeks for the 2 month update.

***2 MONTH UPDATE*** Added anther picture ate two months after I got a haircut. Not a lot better I don't think but def. not getting worse at least. I was hoping for some quick regrowth which meant the hair wasn't too terribly damaged by dutasteride. I guess that may not be happening though. My hope is that maybe it is somewhat a case of Telogen Effluvium and some of the hair just went into a coma and may come back at month 4 or so. We'll see.

***3 Month UPDATE*** Well it hasn't gotten exponentially better, but I think I can say after 3 months that my hair has gotten a little better each month. This month is not massively better and it's hard to get a good consistent picture because I have differing waves and cowlicks in my hair depending on my hair length so it changes from picture to picture but I think my situation is a little better. I can tell a small fragment of hairs have un-miniaturized. I just hope my hair is stable from this point on. That the aggressive lost is all knocked out and it should slow down from here. I've only been on propecia 3 years 3 months.

***4 Month UPDATE*** Man it looks good. Month 4 was magic. I noticed all month it was easier to style. I could cut it short and not be scared the wind would blow. Something just seemed thicker. And when it was time to take the 4 month update picture I was pleasantly surprised it looks pretty good. I think all hair look thinner when you part it in half then take a flash photograph over the bathroom sink, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the density is somewhat close to average. It definitely looks better and I'm not quite here I was when I experimented with Avodart but I'm pretty happy. Also 2 weeks ago or so I started on 1.66mg of finasteride. Proscar cut into thirds. No side effects except for a really mild nut ache that lasts a couple seconds ever 4 or 5 days. I don't know if going from 1.25 to 1.66 will do anything but someone who posted on this board once said that they took a blood test and going up from 1.25 to 1.66 did in fact lower their dht levels. I figured it can't hurt.
Paul, if you are still around can you update your situation. I took dutasteride one day per week like you did and along with finasteride and the exact same thing is happening to me in the exact same pattern. After you quit dutasteride did you recover to the first photo or was that the before photo? Did anyone else experience a shed like this in the center and then they recovered? I can't believe this is happening all of sudden?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
It's confusing all these 1 month update, 2 month update, etc. Are you still on dutasteride once per week with finasteride, or drop dutasteride and take finasteride only?

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
upped,
did someone understood if he dropped dutasteride and regrow at month 4 or did he continued dutasteride during the 4 months, or upped the dosage??
didn't get it

- - - Updated - - -

Paul, if you are still around can you update your situation. I took dutasteride one day per week like you did and along with finasteride and the exact same thing is happening to me in the exact same pattern. After you quit dutasteride did you recover to the first photo or was that the before photo? Did anyone else experience a shed like this in the center and then they recovered? I can't believe this is happening all of sudden?

about you,
did it got better bruh??

afferd

Reaction score
It's confusing all these 1 month update, 2 month update, etc. Are you still on dutasteride once per week with finasteride, or drop dutasteride and take finasteride only?
upped, did someone understood if he dropped dutasteride and regrow at month 4 or did he continued dutasteride during the 4 months, or upped the dosage?? didn't get it

I was confused by his updates too so I reread the thread...

It seems paulsteel0 doesn't post here any more, so I figured I'd share my thoughts in case it helps anyone else.

I added one 0.5mg capsule of Avodart a week for 7 weeks.
I think we can therefore assume that after 7 weeks he was not taking dutasteride/Avodart.

I decided my Avodart experiment was a failed one and I stopped taking it.
Further confirmation that he didn't resume dutasteride/Avodart.

When he made his original post he said:
I have now ceased for a week and a half now.
At no point later in the thread or later anywhere else in the forum did he ever talk about starting dutasteride/Avodart again. If he had I'm sure he would have mentioned it, especially since he talks about upping his finasteride dose from 1.25mg ED to 1.66mg ED (with no mention of dutasteride).

4 MONTH UPDATE: It definitely looks better and I'm not quite[where] I was when I experimented with Avodart but I'm pretty happy.
His final update some 4 months later, that I think very clearly shows he didn't continue with dutasteride/Avodart.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Ive never been fully convinced testosterone plays no role whatsover in male pattern baldness. I would say that looks odd, and I do see a lot of hair loss in the front there. I would have stayed on dutasteride for a year just to see if it grew back. Id imagine dutasteride can cause huge sheds since it alters DHT levels and T levels so drastically. You never know for sure if it would have grown back although it does look pretty bad, but I doubt anyone can explain that. No one really knows how male pattern baldness works.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course, literally the day before I start dutasteride twice a week on top of my finasteride and ru, there is a huge uproar about how dutasteride is poison and does absolutely nothing but destroy your hair etc etc. I need to find the strength to stay away from you people.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, literally the day before I start dutasteride twice a week on top of my finasteride and ru, there is a huge uproar about how dutasteride is poison and does absolutely nothing but destroy your hair etc etc. I need to find the strength to stay away from you people.

hey sniper, I just received three months of legit dutasteride in the mail. I don't even know if I will take it. Like you, I am hesitant. My reasons are different, as you know - finasteride DESTROYED my hair. Not even exaggerating.

For those that think testosterone doesn't play any role in male pattern baldness, I will briefly share my story. finasteride = large increase in test as evaluated by blood tests. finasteride = enormous increase in libido, including erections throughout the night. finasteride = HORRIBLE scalp sensations (that i am still trying to recover from) and RAPID hair loss. Like 300 hairs a day. Lost 50% density, QUICK.

THIS is the ONLY reason why dutasteride is my absolute, absolute LAST resort. I will not take it until I am damn near bald, which I am approaching fast.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
upped,
did someone understood if he dropped dutasteride and regrow at month 4 or did he continued dutasteride during the 4 months, or upped the dosage??
didn't get it

- - - Updated - - -

about you,
did it got better bruh??
No, it never got better.

SniperWolfMR

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously, **** this guy. "Took one dutasteride a week after great success and lost a huge amount of my hair permanently, well anyways, peace out guys, I'll let you ponder on that".

abcdefg

Reaction score
If you changed something say added dutasteride then you shouldnt be on here posting anything until at least 1 year maybe 2. Until then its mental masturbation you dont know what the end result is going to be if its helping or hurting. Most likely its helping, but its so slow you cant get excited every week about tiny changes

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Coming up on 4 months with Finasteride 1mg daily (took finasteride alone for 2 years previously) and Dutasteride 0.5mg weekly. Also noticed a slight shed near front but I was shedding before all over, which is why I wanted to try dutasteride, so I'm not pointing fingers.

Gonna wait it out for a few more months. I started taking topical spironolactone too to possibly combat the "rising testosterone".