Some Specific Newbie Questions For Fue Vs Systems

ay3784

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have shaved my head since aged 24 (now 32), based in London and have looked at a range of treatment options including FUE/strips and am now looking at systems.

I am very sporty and my scalp tends to be quite oily (reason my hair has disappeared). I have looked at Cochrane, Hair4All and OneHead and the results look better than FUE. I had a few specific questions:

1. Overall for those who have gone the systems route do you feel this is better long-term than FUE or similar and what difference has this made to you personally (essentially weighing up surgery vs systems)
2. Which are the best options in London/UK (best results/service)
3. In the promotional pictures systems seem invisible. If you look hard are you able to see them?
4. What is the chance of them failing/lifting etc.
5. I've read that for someone that plays sport/showers frequently it is worth reapplying every 3 weeks and changing systems every 2-months

Thanks for the help!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi AY

1. My personal view is that transplantation only works for people with moderate recession - NW2 or 3 at most. Beyond that, you are taking the hair in a small strip and spreading it out over a wide area - it stands to reason the result will be wispy and aesthetically mediocre - a kind of twilight zone between being bald and having hair. Even at NW2 or 3 it is a risk, because you can never be sure of what your ultimate baldness level will get to. I know a few guys who got transplanted too early, lost a lot more biohair, and were left with an obvious island of transplants in a sea of scalp, which they are now obliged to cover up with a hairpiece. Obviously there are many guys on this forum who are very invested in the virtues of transplants, and would violently disagree with that assessment.

Good hair systems are aesthetically fantastic - thick totally realistic luscious hair more or less instantly, painless, cheap and wholly reversible. The big problem is the psychological one - it's not really growing out of your head. It comes off (only when you want it to though - see below). For a lot of guys that aspect is an insuperable barrier. They feel they are fake if they wear a piece. They have subconscious fears that they will be exposed, and everyone will laughs at them. This seems to affect some men more than others. If you feel you can cope with that issue, hair systems are a great solution.

2. I will PM you on this one.

3. You can see the mesh, but you have to be about 3 or 4 centimetres away looking in the right place, which is closer than anyone really ever gets except a lover or a medic. Even if they do see something, 99% of people wouldn't twig that what they have seen is the mesh base of a hairpiece. It just looks like a bit of dry skin or the natural fine lines of the skin. There is an element of optical illusion about lace - you can see it but not see what you're seeing.

4. If you do your maintenance regularly there is 0% chance of a system "failing" in the sense of coming off. It is not uncommon, particularly when you start wearing, to experience small areas of base coming up - usually only a few square millimetres. They are easily fixed, although they do cause some anxiety, because people worry that they will be spotted and give away the piece. That has never happened in my experience though.

5. I detach and re-apply mine every week. I think about every 10 days is typical, and I would question the good hygiene of waiting more than 2 weeks, especially if you are sporty and sweaty. I get 5 months out of my systems, and I think that's pretty realistic.

Good luck with your researches.

Noah