Some Questions From A Desperate Noob....

Craig2017

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum and I apologise if anything in this post has been answered somewhere else. I have had a look around, but I guess I just wanted to get some advice from guys who are going through/have been through the same thing. I dont really have anyone to speak to about this and feel quite alone!

I have been thinning for a long time. I can still just about get away with disguising it, but my hairline is receding rapidly leaving just a patch at the front that grows and I am running out of ways to style my hair that covers the receding bits. My whole crown is also very thin now. I am very down about it. I am not a vain person, but it does upset me. Up until recently I just accepted it and resigned myself to a life of low self esteem and self consciousness. Which sucks because I used to be much more outgoing and confident. I was aware of transplants but I never really considered it an option. I have never seen any that look decent (Wayne Rooney shouldnt have bothered imo) and the cost of a decent one was just not realistic. However, this week I saw an ad on Facebook for Quiff & Co and discovered the possibility of hair systems! I didnt even know anything like this existed before and I am quite excited by the prospect, maybe all is not lost! I have quickly learned that Quiff & Co are just a grossly overpriced supplier of Lace Hair Systems marketed by pretty faces. But watching the videos has given me new hope that I may not have to live with baldness.

I was really hoping one of you fine gentlemen might be able to answer a few questions that I have.....

1. This might seem like an obvious question, but I havent really seen a proper answer for it - does it itch?/Is it uncomfortable? I dont really like wearing things on my head at the best of times. Never been much of a hat wearer. I am also moving to Hong Kong very soon where the summers can be unbearably hot and humid. I am worried that it will be really uncomfortable.

2. Do people ever notice? Obviously on all of the different suppliers websites they talk about their products being impossible to notice blah blah blah.....but they would, wouldnt they!? I'd really like to hear from people who genuinely wear one and dont have a vested interest in selling them!

3. What is the best way of taking the plunge? Do you need to go for a consultation etc or do you just select the type yourself and follow instructions?

4. I have had psoriasis on my scalp in the past. Not for a number of years, but its one of those things that can come back. Has anybody else had experience of having psoriasis or eczema on their scalp whilst wearing a hair system?

5. Finally, can anybody recommend a good company to do this with in the UK or Hong Kong? I am almost certainly going to do it, because I dont really have anything to lose at this point, but I want to do it properly and be as well informed as possible and use somebody who is reliable.

I am really sorry for such a long post. If you have made it this far, thanks for reading and any advice at all would be really, massively appreciated!

Craig

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Craig

The Quiff promotional campaign seems to have got a lot of people interested in hair systems, but as you say, they are just an attractive presentation of something that has existed for quite a few years. Let me try to answer your questions.

1. My experience is that if you look after the hygiene aspect with regular maintenance, it doesn't itch and it's not uncomfortable, and in fact once you get used to it you can forget you are wearing anything. I live in a place which is very hot and sweaty for part of the year - as hot and sweaty as Hong Kong, although for a shorter part of the year. I don't find it too much of an issue. It's not like wearing a hat. The lace base is so airy and lightweight that it doesn't heat your head, and the rest of the system is just the hair that you would have had if you hadn't gone bald, and which other luckier guys still have. This only applies to lace systems though - I think a skin system could be very sweaty in Hong Kong's climate.

2. It is very possible to get a system that people won't notice. Basically if you get a good colour match, you don't overdo the density, and you don't insist on a fully exposed hairline, it is very difficult for anyone to spot that you are wearing anything, unless they have already seen you bald.

3. You definitely can just follow the instructions and do it yourself. I have talked half-a-dozen guys through that process, and the results they can get are at least the equal of what you get from most salons. But a lot of guys like to have the comfort of professional help and back-up to get started, and I can understand that. But then you have to be careful to get somewhere that is going to do a good job for you.

4. I cant help you on the psoriasis, I'm afraid. I guess that means you would have to monitor careful the adhesives you are using to make sure your skin is OK with it, and you might need a scalp protector (barrier layer) between the adhesives and your scalp.

5. I will PM you some ideas on suppliers.

Noah