Socks' story - (general thinning, pics included)

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Metalheaddude, my hair is thinning down the middle too. Of course, no one notices because I still have full coverage. I am still considered a NW1 but I still have been told that is early thinning. Its not aggressive male pattern baldness but it is THINNING. Everyone has different levels of thinning and different patterns and many do start straight down the middle and retain the crown and do no recede to a NW2. You have to address thinning some how. I think Socks may have had some telogen effluvium going on and most likely not male pattern baldness. I feel due to his age, if he had aggressive male pattern baldness, he would have never been able to maintain that thickness all these years as well as he did.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Metalheaddude, my hair is thinning down the middle too. Of course, no one notices because I still have full coverage. I am still considered a NW1 but I still have been told that is early thinning. Its not aggressive male pattern baldness but it is THINNING. Everyone has different levels of thinning and different patterns and many do start straight down the middle and retain the crown and do no recede to a NW2. You have to address thinning some how. I think Socks may have had some telogen effluvium going on and most likely not male pattern baldness. I feel due to his age, if he had aggressive male pattern baldness, he would have never been able to maintain that thickness all these years as well as he did.

how long have u been treating your hair loss?
how long ago did you notice your hair loss?
since meds what have u noticed? thanks

Whiplash_131

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner too.. My male pattern baldness started when I was 18, it started on my front left side, then in the crown, and then in all area with a strange incidence on my left side.
In this forum i didnt find anyone with my type of male pattern baldness, looking forward for that but with no hope because is not very common.
It is strange because my hairline did not recede very much on these 4 years, but the density of my overall hair has.

Looking forward for more news, and my certain is that the cure for male pattern baldness is close to be find.

sorry about my bad english and good luck ;)

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Dr house, Whip, HTGT.

Well what im saying is people rarely go skin bald up the middle from the front of the hairline like you do on the temples (unless your NW7 bound) at least from what ive obsevered. And usually this forelock hair (although it might be thinner) seems to be the most resilient/tenacious and last to go (even though it seems to thin first). I can post 100's of examples of men with male pattern baldness who are totally bald besides having a small tuft on the forelock.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Rubbin' it in Socks?

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
hey socks ur hair look great....But I wanted to ask you something

wat is exactly the medicine name(name of drug) of the oral spironolactone that u use? If I don't drink grapejuice wil it make any difference?(I also use Propecia)

Tnx
Chris

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
hey socks ur hair look great....But I wanted to ask you something

wat is exactly the medicine name(name of drug) of the oral spironolactone that u use? If I don't drink grapejuice wil it make any difference?(I also use Propecia)

Tnx
Chris

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
neis,

I no longer use spironolactone. The only medication I currently take is one 5mg tablet of Finasteride every 2 - 3 days. When I was on spironolactone took "Spirotone" from Pacific Pharmaceuticals.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh tnx Socks,

But now when you stopped spironolactone, did you lose the hair that u gained with it(I mean the new hair that regrew)? Do u think that if I start spironolactone is it better to see a doctor first? I am on a regimen with:
propecia & nizoral(6 months on treatm)
rogaine 5%(2,5 months on treatm)
proxiphen & nano shampoo(2 weeks on treatm)
Do u think that is better to add oral spironolactone 200mg every day to my regimen or not?

Many thanks
Chris

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend oral spironolactone to any man. At the dosages needed to treat hairloss you're almost guaranteed to experience moderate to severe sexual side-effects at some point. I looked at your routine and I would give it a minimum of a year before changing anything.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh tnx Socks

So u recommend not to use oral sironolactone, don't u? The results that u managed with ur hair regrowth, were due to the propecia?

Tnx again
Chris

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
neis said:
Oh tnx Socks

So u recommend not to use oral sironolactone, don't u? The results that u managed with ur hair regrowth, were due to the propecia?

I would not say my 'results I managed' were due to Finasteride but rather Finasteride has done a good job at maintaining my hair and increasing its overall health. spironolactone did seem to make my hair look a little thicker and did seem to decrease shedding a bit more but, overall, not to the point of justifying a long-term commitment to it. Again, spironolactone at an effective dose range can bring on some nasty sexual side-effects. It is important to remember that Finasteride is a relatively safe drug with minimum side-effects. spironolactone can carry with it serious health risks and/or serious sexual side-effects.

I would say spironolactone should be a desperate last resort.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Tnx Socksssss

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
socks?

do you take grapefruit juice with your finasteride

in your opinion is that an effective vehicle for better absorption?