Soccer is Ruining America

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
barcafan said:
There's a reason why soccer is known as the beautiful game!

I'll believe that soccer is "the beautiful game" only when the people who say that become fully conversant with American football, and then continue to say it.

I think we've been through this twice :whistle:

You can't compare American football to soccer. American football may have some similarities with rugby, but none with soccer....

I still think whoever came up with American football, should have chosen a different name for it.

Even handball, or hockey are more similar to soccer than American football.

HughJass

Reaction score
ali777 said:
I still think whoever came up with American football, should have chosen a different name for it.

x2

any game that requires men to pads can't be taken too seriously

CN3145.jpg

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:

Really? I invite you to play a serious game of football without wearing ANY protective gear at all. Let's see how long you can go before you start taking it very seriously.

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
you could call that rugby then...eh?
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

Really? I invite you to play a serious game of football without wearing ANY protective gear at all. Let's see how long you can go before you start taking it very seriously.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
MEANSTREET said:

I suppse so. I've heard there are certain similarites between the two games, although I've never seen a game of rugby.

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

LOL

thought that would rattle a few American cages

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

MEANSTREET said:

:punk:

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
MEANSTREET said:

I suppse so. I've heard there are certain similarites between the two games, although I've never seen a game of rugby.

think NFL but without the fluff

[youtube:3oiucks5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xkryJCYDQ&feature=related[/youtube:3oiucks5]

If an acquired brain injury is your goal in life, join your local rugby team today.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
LOL

thought that would rattle a few American cages

_I_ am not the one whose cage would get seriously rattled, if YOU decide to go out and play football without any protective gear! Can you say, "vegetative state"? :)

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan just read the latest study and it said 4 out of 5 americans don't
like soccer LOL.

ali777

Reaction score
casperz said:
Bryan just read the latest study and it said 4 out of 5 americans don't
like soccer LOL.

I don't really blame Bryan....

I never got into soccer until I was 22-23. I always supported a soccer club, but I didn't really follow it.

Here comes the main point of my story... I wasn't into soccer because I was useless at it. I was the worst player in my class, but I was rather good at basketball. So, I played basketball and religiously followed MJ's career. I never understood what soccer was about. I didn't enjoy playing it, and I didn't enjoy watching it.

It all changed when I started playing soccer in my 20s. In my adult life, I wasn't the worst player anymore, I was just an average player. The beauty of soccer is that it's a participants sport. Anyone can play it. There is no need to have a team of 100 huge guys, no protection, no stop watch, etc. One group email to friends is enough to organise a game.

So, it's a sport I can play and enjoy watching.

Also, if you think soccer is an easy game, try playing it against decent players. Soccer is not an easy game to play. You don't appreciate it, because you don't know how to play it. I'm not saying you don't know the rules, I'm saying you can't play it.

PS: About supporting a football club. Although, I'm really into football, I don't actually support a football club anymore. I used to support a "members club", but when all the teams turned into companies, etc, I decided I didn't want to support a company....

PPS:Introducing cheerleaders into European soccer would be nice!!! That's one thing we should borrow from the American sports.

HughJass

Reaction score
ali777 said:
PPS:Introducing cheerleaders into European soccer would be nice!!! That's one thing we should borrow from the American sports.

We have them here. Or at least used to, haven't been to a game in a while.

Tacky as f*ck!

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Also, if you think soccer is an easy game, try playing it against decent players. Soccer is not an easy game to play.

Most American football players would be done after the first 10 minutes of
an intense soccer match. The stamina needed just does not compare. But
even if they were able to hold out the lack of body control would make them
seem like children playing with men. And the first time they took a shot
without pads they would be out of there. LOL.

I talked to a college football player last year that plays WR and DB and he
said he had played some games against players from the school's team.
He could not believe how quick they moved and how hard it was to just
keep up much less move the ball when he had a chance. There is a reason
the entire world (except the US) loves soccer.

I think some of the people that hate soccer have never seen a college
level or higher game in person. It's as physical a sport as any out there
and the action is non-stop. Kids and high school soccer just does not
compare and I hate watching that as much as anyone.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
ali777 said:
For the proper American sports, size matters. The bigger, the better.

That makes absolutely no sense....are you making that statement just because of American Football? :thumbdown2:

And basketball. And baseball.

Cassin

Reaction score
and damn you for starting this thread Gardener...hahaha

the single purpose of that article was to get it linked on forums so people would argue and its working...hahahah

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Basketball & baseball are loaded with slim people...size doesn't mean very much...

Most people playing in the NBA are the biggest people in the world, well over six feet tall and 200+ pounds. Being "slim" when you're 6'6" and muscle bound looks pretty big to the average guy. In baseball all the best players are being found to be guilty of using steroids to make their already large bodies larger.