So look like I was one of the unlucky ones after all

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
axl617,

Finasteride is all you need right now in your situation, do not bother with any other treatment. Get on Finasteride, and all your hair that you've lost will come back if the hair you've lost hasn't been gone for a long time. Chances of getting side effects from Finasteride is unlikely to occur and happen in about 2% of cases, and will subside if treatment is discontinued. I myself take Dutasteride, which is basically a stronger version of Finasteride, and I have not suffered any side effects of any sort.

The chances of becoming bald is a lot higher than getting side effects from Finasteride, whether you believe that or not.

dh92

Reaction score
It's interesting you thought your hairline was pretty decent 2-3 years ago, my current hairline is only slightly better than that and I was shocked and noticed the early stages of Androgenetic Alopecia right away (I had a hairline similar to Cristiano Ronaldo or pre-Amazing Spiderman 2 Andrew Garfield 2 years ago, now my hairline is more like Colin O'Donoghue or current Andrew Garfield).

I've always had thick hair as well, always got compliments on it, still do but I don't take them as seriously anymore due to the onset of Androgenetic Alopecia.

I'm going to echo others in this thread, your best bet would be to get on finasteride or dutasteride (the side effect profile is overstated on the internet, go check various threads about this on the "Dealing with Side Effects" subforum, your qualms should be put to ease) if you're serious about salvaging what you have left. Also, you live in Australia so 2% Nizoral can be purchased OTC at any pharmacy, go buy it immediately and use it twice a week, it helps reduce DHT activity in the scalp via enzyme inhibition and androgen receptor antagonism.

Rationalising that a hair transplant seems like a "weakness of character" is a weak excuse, you may think that now but if you're NW4 or greater I'm sure your views would change. Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power not to go bald? That's like saying getting braces to correct orthodontic abnormalities is a "weakness of character" because that too is cosmetic.

I understand your frustration and apprehension about minoxidil, it's not necessary to use it since its pharmacological mechanisms don't address the fundamental cause of Androgenetic Alopecia (DHT miniaturising follicles, minoxidil doesn't have antiandrogenic properties) but if you want a chance at regrowth after being on finasteride or dutasteride plus Nizoral for a year or two and unsatisfied with any regrowth results, I'd suggest adding it to your regimen.

On a more positive note, I agree with CliffLee your hairline now looks exactly like Henry Cavill's and most people without Androgenetic Alopecia won't notice it as hair loss. Best of luck mate.

sorry, i don't normally post, but your hair is currently like andrew garfield's hair and you're taking medication for it?? Are you crazy? He's about 32 with no sign of hair loss whatsover...

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry, i don't normally post, but your hair is currently like andrew garfield's hair and you're taking medication for it?? Are you crazy? He's about 32 with no sign of hair loss whatsover...

That's what I said, if you look carefully at photos, he has some temple recession, just like I do. It may be easy to look at someone who you may not think is experiencing Androgenetic Alopecia but for that person it could be an entirely different situation to them, you haven't seen their hairline 2-3 years ago so you have no metric to compare it by.

(Said photos: http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/1280x1920/a_c/04_Cover_Roof_037_wk6-2_GQ_29Jun12_b.jpg http://a5.files.biography.com/image...1200,q_80,w_1200/MTE1ODA0OTcxOTg3MDc2NjIx.jpg
http://media2.popsugar-assets.com/f...mage_file_845205_14292039510ng6r9.fbshare.jpg)

I've seen the hair on my temples slowly disappear over the past 2 years and my 17 year old hairline is a thing of the past, it has been very psychologically distressing and I'm certainly not "worrying about nothing". My dermatologist even said while she doesn't think I have Androgenetic Alopecia, it is too early to tell for sure and she said it wouldn't hurt to get on some mild treatments to be proactive.

So that's exactly what I've done, no big guns, just S5 cream and Nizoral 2% and if I'm satisfied with the results after one year, excellent. If not, I'll get on finasteride/dutasteride/setipiprant (when it's commercially available) when and if my Androgenetic Alopecia progresses further (when I reach NW2 fully, I'm about NW1.5 now). I feel like everyone who attacks me for being proactive is one of three things:

1. Possibly right because my Androgenetic Alopecia may progress no further until I'm older (the "mature hairline" phenomenon of start-stop-start again when you're 50 type Androgenetic Alopecia progression)
2. Livid and bitter that I am starting treatment early so as to preserve my hair, whereas they may have just waited until their hair loss became pronounced before they started any treatment at all.
3. Unaware of the fact that my hair looked absolutely nothing like the way it does now (age 21) when I was 17.

OH202

Reaction score
OP ~

I'd say you have recession at the temples for sure, and would probably be comfortable getting on finasteride and seeing where that takes it takes you. I can guarantee that everyone on this forum would advise you to take some permutation of a rogaine/finasteride/nizoral treatment - it's the only regimen that's been proven to work, regardless of what you hear about side effects and shedding. Shedding will of course happen and your hair will indeed get worse for a period of time; you just have to make the choice as to whether that experience is worth keeping your hair in the long term.

Antialopecia

Reaction score
Yeah I used to be like you, I'm sure most of us were at one point. I was very hesitant and cautious about this drug and spent years looking into it. Not only was I hesitant because of sides, but the idea of taking a pill for the rest of my life didn't sound appealing. I even tried to ignore it, trying to make mysef believe that i wasnt balding but that obviousy doesnt work.. I jumped straight into dutasteride, popped my first one 2 days ago and no sides as of yet. Whatever you decide to do to about this curse, I wish you the best of luck my friend.