So, I had a pretty decent hairline just over 2-3 years ago

p0FuJhL.jpg

This is me today:

u6RvLeZ.jpg
Dry:
2uzX5VC.jpgSF9NC1R.jpgKDavV41.jpgIXFSSCN.jpg

Wet:

Peb9gzV.jpg3o01zTK.jpg

See I never thought I would be cursed with this problem. I grew up with thick hair I would always get complimented on, I didn't think this whole baldness thing applied to me. Well, here I am having nightmares about half my hair floating away, waking up at 6am stroking my fingers through my weakened areas, feeling those tiny little hairs that might fall away at any moment. It's been months where I can feel my hair getting less thick in my hands.

I'm not sure what made the big drastic difference, my exercise/dieting regime (I was doing low-carb for a while, many say it affects hair strength) or just bad genetics. My mothers side no one has lost their hair, dad is fuzzy patches on the front and paternal grandfather was bald by the time he was 35, smooth as a babys bottom.

There's literally nothing attractive about hairloss, I don't care if it's Jason Statham or whomever, they would all look better with hair. This isn't some small worry because I'm worried about what girls think, I couldn't care less. It's that it's the ultimate sign of my mortality, from spending my life growing and getting stronger to seeing it decay. This is a nightmare, and the only thing that helps is propecia which will make your dick numb, uhm no thanks.

I have been taking pumpkin seed oil for a few weeks, that did **** all. I'm sure there's no natural remedy out there, or everyone would be using it. Rogain scares me, I will have to see my hair shed, then regrow, then lose it if I stop or become tolerant. I guess the last option is a hair transplant, but I'm not really one who would ever think of cosmetic surgery, seems like a weakness of character to me, plus I'd have to wait until it was all gone to avoid mixed results.

So yeah, baldness, **** you, you low-life genetic trait.

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Get on finasteride / dutasteride and don't believe the Bs with it and if you get a hair transplant you still need finasteride / dutasteride, unless you waited till you were completely bald and now have the worst density ever, think all celebs would be getting transplants if your dick falls off?

if it's still no then shave half your hair off and go with wearing a hair system, no?

Then shave it, no? Stop crying we all have to deal with this

cthor

Reaction score
Hair still looks good but you know your hair more than anyone else! Good to be proactive!

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if it's still no then shave half your hair off and go with wearing a hair system, no?

Then shave it, no? Stop crying we all have to deal with this

^^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Get use to OP your outta options

man-shaving-head-121005.jpg

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks a little like Henry Cavill's. It still looks good and I think you should be acting now.

Forget your "alternative remedies", these do little to nothing. There are only a few which actually work. You should jump on finasteride/dutasteride, plus minoxidil asap. If you don't, you will probably end up doing what I did: be put off by the horror stories, wait 10 years, then take action with worse hair.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting you thought your hairline was pretty decent 2-3 years ago, my current hairline is only slightly better than that and I was shocked and noticed the early stages of Androgenetic Alopecia right away (I had a hairline similar to Cristiano Ronaldo or pre-Amazing Spiderman 2 Andrew Garfield 2 years ago, now my hairline is more like Colin O'Donoghue or current Andrew Garfield).

I've always had thick hair as well, always got compliments on it, still do but I don't take them as seriously anymore due to the onset of Androgenetic Alopecia.

I'm going to echo others in this thread, your best bet would be to get on finasteride or dutasteride (the side effect profile is overstated on the internet, go check various threads about this on the "Dealing with Side Effects" subforum, your qualms should be put to ease) if you're serious about salvaging what you have left. Also, you live in Australia so 2% Nizoral can be purchased OTC at any pharmacy, go buy it immediately and use it twice a week, it helps reduce DHT activity in the scalp via enzyme inhibition and androgen receptor antagonism.

Rationalising that a hair transplant seems like a "weakness of character" is a weak excuse, you may think that now but if you're NW4 or greater I'm sure your views would change. Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power not to go bald? That's like saying getting braces to correct orthodontic abnormalities is a "weakness of character" because that too is cosmetic.

I understand your frustration and apprehension about minoxidil, it's not necessary to use it since its pharmacological mechanisms don't address the fundamental cause of Androgenetic Alopecia (DHT miniaturising follicles, minoxidil doesn't have antiandrogenic properties) but if you want a chance at regrowth after being on finasteride or dutasteride plus Nizoral for a year or two and unsatisfied with any regrowth results, I'd suggest adding it to your regimen.

On a more positive note, I agree with CliffLee your hairline now looks exactly like Henry Cavill's and most people without Androgenetic Alopecia won't notice it as hair loss. Best of luck mate.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
It's interesting you thought your hairline was pretty decent 2-3 years ago, my current hairline is only slightly better than that and I was shocked and noticed the early stages of Androgenetic Alopecia right away (I had a hairline similar to Cristiano Ronaldo or pre-Amazing Spiderman 2 Andrew Garfield 2 years ago, now my hairline is more like Colin O'Donoghue or current Andrew Garfield).

I've always had thick hair as well, always got compliments on it, still do but I don't take them as seriously anymore due to the onset of Androgenetic Alopecia.

I'm going to echo others in this thread, your best bet would be to get on finasteride or dutasteride (the side effect profile is overstated on the internet, go check various threads about this on the "Dealing with Side Effects" subforum, your qualms should be put to ease) if you're serious about salvaging what you have left. Also, you live in Australia so 2% Nizoral can be purchased OTC at any pharmacy, go buy it immediately and use it twice a week, it helps reduce DHT activity in the scalp via enzyme inhibition and androgen receptor antagonism.

Rationalising that a hair transplant seems like a "weakness of character" is a weak excuse, you may think that now but if you're NW4 or greater I'm sure your views would change. Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power not to go bald? That's like saying getting braces to correct orthodontic abnormalities is a "weakness of character" because that too is cosmetic.

I understand your frustration and apprehension about minoxidil, it's not necessary to use it since its pharmacological mechanisms don't address the fundamental cause of Androgenetic Alopecia (DHT miniaturising follicles, minoxidil doesn't have antiandrogenic properties) but if you want a chance at regrowth after being on finasteride or dutasteride plus Nizoral for a year or two and unsatisfied with any regrowth results, I'd suggest adding it to your regimen.

On a more positive note, I agree with CliffLee your hairline now looks exactly like Henry Cavill's and most people without Androgenetic Alopecia won't notice it as hair loss. Best of luck mate.
Captain Hook, aka Colin O'Donoghue is definitely wearing a wig lately on Once Upon A Time. His hair was super thin when he first was on and now it much thicker and fuller. And something happened to the actor who plays Prince Charming. He either wears a partial too or go a hair transplant because his hair is thicker and fuller too.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Hook, aka Colin O'Donoghue is definitely wearing a wig lately on Once Upon A Time. His hair was super thin when he first was on and now it much thicker and fuller. And something happened to the actor who plays Prince Charming. He either wears a partial too or go a hair transplant because his hair is thicker and fuller too.

Good eye there House. I guess I should say then my hairline looks similar to Colin O'Donoghue's wig/hair transplant then, to be honest I never noticed any abnormalities with his hair but I definitely could tell something was up with Prince Charming's hair for sure.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a nightmare, and the only thing that helps is propecia which will make your dick numb, uhm no thanks.
And paracetamol gives you liver damage but who the **** thinks they will need a liver transplant when taking it for a simple headache? Not to mention those super dangerous weapons of mass destruction called peanuts, some people even die from eating them.

axl617

Reaction score
I know that the forum is very pro finesteride, but I'm just not willing to take the risk, I have a fairly unique hormonal profile so messing with it just isn't wise for me.

Would I benefit from using minoxidil and nizoral (+ I guess I'll continue with pumpkin seed oil which shows to compete with DHT sites)?

I am a bit nervous about minoxidil increasing shedding and what not, but if it works I am willing to take it indefinitely. I guess in about 10-15 years I'll just let it all fall out and go for the bald look since it's much more acceptable in late 30's.

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro. if you wont take finasteride or dutasteride, because of BS and Broscience and believing you are Unique When really you are just another Balding guy like us. Fair enough.

but let me be a realist, Your hair might be crappy to its former self but its a lot better than most of us and people that take finasteride / dutasteride even sometimes get a little bit of regrowth sometimes going from NW3 to like Nw2.5 and with someone who is in a good position like yourself. You should take the risk! i wish i did thats why im so harsh to people like you, I wish i took the plunged but no all these mofos saying propecia poison scared me off. and now i took the plunge and im perfectly fine but if i took the plunge when i first heard of it. i wouldn't be on this forum anyway.

But whatever bro if you don't want to take it the answer to your question is Regardless of taking Nizoral / minoxidil you will be Baldy No Matter What!

Drown yourself in minoxidil and Pumpkin oil and nizoral. your future will still be a bald guy. so start looking into nice razors or hair systems bro that is your future! can't get a transplant with out finasteride or dutasteride either bro

btw minoxidil wont do much on its own and it wont buy you 10 - 15 years lol put it this way. with out finasteride / dutasteride / Ru / perhaps seti. the next 3 or 4 years of your life will be pretty grim from a hairloss perspective

It's coming. Time is on its side!

Supertramp

Reaction score
I, too, was extremely hesitant about starting Finasteride. However, it's really only one of the few effective hair loss treatments that's available at the moment.

I've been taking Propecia for about three weeks now, and I'm currently experiencing no side effects. Hopefully this continues!

I felt like I at least needed to try it, before making any judgement. You should maybe consider this too, man.

Benjammin

Reaction score
To someone poo-pooing the herbal stuff-- what can it hurt? Biotin supplements, keratin, saw palmetto, horsetail, nettle. Besides the cost, it can only help or do nothing.

Eightballd

Established Member
Reaction score
Help is a relative term, if that stuff did anything useful people would use it, may as well save your money because you will end up bald anyway, that stuff won't stop the root cause of your hair loss, and I don't think extending an already sht hairline 3 extra months if that would be of any use

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
To someone poo-pooing the herbal stuff-- what can it hurt? Biotin supplements, keratin, saw palmetto, horsetail, nettle. Besides the cost, it can only help or do nothing.

If its possible for it to help then its possible for it to harm your hair as well imo.

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, you will eventually panic and get on finasteride anyway, and it will be too late. Earlier you start the better!

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess in about 10-15 years I'll just let it all fall out and go for the bald look since it's much more acceptable in late 30's.

This was my exact thought process: "I'll be fine with hairloss in my thirties, I mean, I'll be quite old by then". Wrong. I hated it just as much as when I was in my early twenties.

You have a chance now to stop your hairloss and potentially regrow lost hair, you should try. No one will force you to continue taking it should you encounter sides, but you won't forgive yourself for not trying.

Dazzel

Established Member
Reaction score
While going bald and losing your lovely thick hair and hairline is horrible, there isn't much you can do about it expect for Propecia and even that won't give your teenage hairline back.