so is topical spironolactone dangerous or not?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I keep reading conflicting opinions on this.

taken orally spironolactone would give terrible feminizing effects, but some people are now speculating that topically it could be absorbed through your scalp into the bloodstream, which would not be a good thing.

anyone want to weigh in?

DarkSockedFox

Reaction score
No doubt, eh?

I haven't researched it very well, but have been using the stuff off this website for about a month and a half now. I'm only applying it once a day, but for the week I had it going twice daily, I had one pretty bad brain-foggy day. Can't be sure it's the spironolactone, but it's the only thing I've added. Maybe that points to some systemic stuff when used more frequently? =] I dunno. No boobs, though!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I know that topically applied, whether dissolved in shampoo or perhaps in a cream foam, it DOES go systemic-no doubt. I don't know about "dangerous" part but this drug has been in use for several decades. It gives gyno quickly

well if it 'gives gyno quickly' I would call that dangerous. Isn't oral spironolactone what transsexuals use?

The key question is whether applied topically there's a risk of this

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
well I mean gyno is 'dangerous' to your mental health (speaking from someone who already has mild gyno) and is social suicide. But no it's not dangerous physically.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical can be dangerous, but if you apply limited amounts you will be fine. I got some of the s5 cream to add a topical to my regime and started experimenting with the correct amount. I was applying twice a day and dermarolling every other night. Bad idea. Don't dermaroll with spironolactone. Its all about absorption. To get to the subcutaneous tissue you need to penetrate 1.5 mm of skin, and guess what my dermaroller was? 1.5 mm. Plus topicals have longer half lives than orals so that **** was going into my system all day. The first two weeks I got all the bad side effects of spironolactone: lethargy, incoordination, irregular heart beat, very frequent urination and probably dehydration. Sounds scary but don't be scared. If you just apply to the scalp the drug will remain in the epidermis and dermis and maybe very little will be absorbed systemically (which may actually be a good thing). The hair follicle is in the dermis and the drug will act there. You will be fine as long as you don't apply right after you shower and keep it to a reasonable amount.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
people take this internally and you think its dangerous externally and the little bit that's absorb? Come on now.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I have mentioned this before, there have been several studies suggesting that topical spironolactone is not absorbed systematically. Plus there was even a study(posted by Bryan by the way) which showed topical spironolactone applied twice a day(old study) was effective for androgenic alopecia. He posted just the abstract and claimed there were before and after pictures. Why it hasn't been extensively studied for male pattern baldness? idk. Perhaps its because topical spironolactone was only shown to be marginally effective for acne.

- - - Updated - - -

To end this silly discussion:
[h=1]Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man.[/h]Rey FO, Valterio C, Locatelli L, Ramelet AA, Felber JP.
[h=3]Source[/h]Département de Médecine, C.H.U.V., Lausanne, Switzerland.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]In six healthy male volunteers, the percutaneous absorption of spironolactone was compared with placebo in a double-blind crossover study. The subjects were randomly given either a cream containing 5% spironolactone or placebo to be applied in a randomized sequential way to a well defined skin area equivalent to 55% of body area. During the 72 h following the application of the ointment, blood levels of canrenone, the major metabolite of spironolactone, have been determined. In order to estimate the systemic antiandrogenic effect of spironolactone, plasma levels of 17-alpha-Hydroxy progesterone (17 alpha-OH-P), Testosterone (pT) and non-conjugated 3 alpha-Androstanediol (3 alpha-diol, metabolite of the active androgen 5 alpha-Dihydrotestosterone or DHT) as well as salivary Testosterone (sT) which relate to the free and active plasma testosterone fraction have also been measured. Urinary levels of canrenone have been determined 48 hours after cream application. No changes in any levels of these hormones have been detected and plasma canrenone levels were undetectable during the 72 hours of topical treatment. Topically administered, spironolactone appears to have only a local skin impregnation.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I think that's only if you are consuming it on a daily basis. There's only about 100 mg or so in a jar of s5 and its usually taken at a dose of 200mg for acne from what I heard.

- - - Updated - - -

depends on how paranoid you are

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on it for a 45ish days, and I have not experienced ANY sides at all. I know 45 days isn't enough to make claims about it, but I have been using a lot of it. One jar a month when three jars is supposed to last right around 4-5 months. It is pretty much staying on my head 24/7.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I've been on it for about that same time as I previously mentioned, although I use alcohol as a vehicle. So far, things have been looking a little bit thicker, not amazing results but I feel it is doing something. What about you Cursed?

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
human, please refer to page 1. No side effects from topical spironolactone according to studies

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't mean dangerous as it could kill you, I mean it could give MEN unwanted feminising side effects when ingested
oh ok. not singling out any 1 person. Just so many on hear seems scared of it topically and likely wont even use much then.but yeah I understand where u r coming from.

rcom440

Reaction score
Growing boobs on topical spironolactone is like winning lottery or getting attacked by a great white shark..... in a lake.

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
yeah I've noticed a minor amount of thickening, however I started minoxidil a week ago so its gonna be hard to judge whether or not its the minoxidil or the spironolactone.

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
Started S5 cream and minoxidil once a day. Might upgrade to twice a day if it keeps falling out.