Smoking Amd Male Pattern Baldness Connection! Pole!!

Relationship between smoking status and male pattern baldness!!!

• Currently smoke

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Ex smoker

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Non smoker

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Social smoker

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another pole to see if there any correlation between smoking status and male pattern baldness progression. Please take a time to vote and comment. Thanks.

justlol@you

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why do you need a poll for this? Theres multiple studies out there showing a statistically significant relationship of smoking to male pattern baldness.

I'm fairly sure there is also mechanistic evidence for nicotine causing a buildup of DHT in the tissues because of the inhibition of the HSD enzyme.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
why do you need a poll for this? Theres multiple studies out there showing a statistically significant relationship of smoking to male pattern baldness.

I'm fairly sure there is also mechanistic evidence for nicotine causing a buildup of DHT in the tissues because of the inhibition of the HSD enzyme.
We have a forum. And if we have forum specific poles and discussions that will be beneficial. You should vote than complain.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a lot of data on the subject as mentioned above. I am a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 26 years. I also smoke using a hookah 2-3 days a week with at least an hour session each time.

I've been on finasteride for the past 11 years and it has definitely helped.

Last edited:

hairnohair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never smoked tobacco in my life. Weed a few times, maybe once every 6 months or even less than that.

omid

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe this is my baldness reason because we dont have baldness genetically not my father not brother and uncles and ... maybe my baldness is because of smoking ...

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
It will WORSEN hair loss but it never CAUSED / TRIGGERED hair loss. Period.
It had been speculated by researchers that smoking blocks aromataze activity which in turn create a hypoestrogenic state in scalp and further diminish estrogens protective effect on subcutaneous fat. It is now established that fat layer under scalp protects hair from DHT effect. I have read a study where researchers injected abdominal fat in scalp of bald men and had successfully grow descent amount of hair. Molecular biology is not that simple I know.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe this is my baldness reason because we dont have baldness genetically not my father not brother and uncles and ... maybe my baldness is because of smoking ...
See quitting will help it or not. But even if didn't it will always better to quit. Best luck.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It had been speculated by researchers that smoking blocks aromataze activity which in turn create a hypoestrogenic state in scalp and further diminish estrogens protective effect on subcutaneous fat. It is now established that fat layer under scalp protects hair from DHT effect. I have read a study where researchers injected abdominal fat in scalp of bald men and had successfully grow descent amount of hair. Molecular biology is not that simple I know.
So if we stop hair loss will stop or lessen significantly?

toto

Reaction score
i quit smoking 2 times the past 3 years for 4-5 months, and my hair looked a lot better those periods and had more density. not sure that its 100% because of that ( maybe its about the season, my hair is better in the winter time).
now i am trying to quit again to see if my hair gets better( its so hard).
it is very interesting to understand the correlation between.
i always looking at people that smoking to understand if the balding percentage higher in the smoking group.
but its hard to understand because then comes the thinking,that if you balding its a a lot hard to quit smoking.

will be happy to hear your thoughts about this

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
i quit smoking 2 times the past 3 years for 4-5 months, and my hair looked a lot better those periods and had more density. not sure that its 100% because of that ( maybe its about the season, my hair is better in the winter time).
now i am trying to quit again to see if my hair gets better( its so hard).
it is very interesting to understand the correlation between.
i always looking at people that smoking to understand if the balding percentage higher in the smoking group.
but its hard to understand because then comes the thinking,that if you balding its a a lot hard to quit smoking.

will be happy to hear your thoughts about this
I think smoking absolutely damages your micro vasculature and it would take huge time to gain that blood network again. I am not saying smoking cause baldness but if you were already predisposed to baldness then it will speed that process.

Last edited:

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm having a hair transplant do you think it will effect results?
It's in 2 months and I've quit smoking this week even if they only recommend 1 week before to stop.
Quit now. Smoking delays the healing process.

“Smokers should be advised to stop smoking prior to elective surgery or when recovering from wounds resulting from trauma, disease, or emergent surgery.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1323208/

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm having a hair transplant do you think it will effect results?
It's in 2 months and I've quit smoking this week even if they only recommend 1 week before to stop.
It was better if you had quit a year ago,You would have had much recovery by now. But as I said quit smoking entirely not for hairs only but for overall health. If you keep smoking it will affect transplant for sure.
I smoked for three 3 years and now got a lipoma( fat tumor) in the neck. Smoking is hell. I request you to retreat. Best luck.