Sm04554 Update To Follow! Encouraging. News Release

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why we don't make a quotation about produc the three formula in the patent ? Then we could make our own trial in order to know the real formula..No?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Real question is though... what is taking histogen so long... id love it if someone reached out and found out something regarding a project update in china mexico or even US. sh*t.

SkinMedica launched a lawsuit against them, delaying their progress by a couple years. Thankfully, SkinMedica LOST the case.

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Real question is though... what is taking histogen so long... id love it if someone reached out and found out something regarding a project update in china mexico or even US. sh*t.

It doesn't work very well?

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't agree w/ KO1 on most things, but this. I have so little faith in Histogen, even if it's released tomorrow. It'll be even more irrelevant by the time it's actually available.

What is the cause of your lack of faith in histogen just out of curiosity?

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes and no. While you're right that the PGE2 and Wnt pathways likely act in concert, they're also linked. bC stabilization is one link in a major cascade involving other pathways including the PGE2, Wnt, VEGF, FGF, and AR cascades. For example. The PGE2/Wnt interaction is also what allows minoxidil to blunt the effect of ARs.

First of all, no, "PGE2/Wnt interaction" is not what allows minoxidil to blunt the effect of AR. Look at the paper Dench posted (this one). You'll see they found that minoxidil antagonizes AR by binding directly to it and interfering with its ability to interact with coregulators and with its ability to homodimerize. It is however much weaker than bicalutamide at inhibiting AR-mediated transcription:

hsu1.png

In regard to VEGF, Arase et al. demonstrated that minoxidil-induced VEGF expression is dependent on its activation of adenosine receptors. Of course, along with possible effects through PGE1 or PGE2, activation of adenosine receptors is an obvious candidate for minoxidil's known effects on PKA, AKT and ERK, and AKT/PKA-mediated inhibition of GSK3-beta is IMO the best explanation for beta-catenin stabilization by minoxidil. Han et al. showed that minoxidil's ability to speed up hair lenthening was prevented by either ERK inhibition or AKT inhibition (they also show effects by minoxidil on Bcl2/Bax).

han1.png

PD is an ERK inhibitor, LY is an AKT inhibitor.

Unfortunately, they didn't test whether AKT or ERK-mediated inhibition of GSK3-beta contributed to this effect. But anyway, that's exactly what I was saying -- complex interactions between the various pathways that minoxidil activates probably contribute.

I pointed out bC stabilization as it is consistently marked as a driver for hair growth making it a treatment candidate. Are there other things going on that we don't understand? Of course. Does that mean minoxidil is a mysterious drug? Maybe 10 years ago when we didn't have this information and knew minoxidil only as a vasodilator. What we do not understand are all the signals that promote hair growth, that's what's mysterious.

To me estrogen is the more mysterious substance than minoxidil. There should be more research on that, since estrogen is so effective at reversing A.G.A. compared to anything else we know of.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So then Samumed's new treatment will be very similar to minoxidil. But then again can't SM04554 create new hair follices, while minoxodil can only increase the anagen stage of preexisting hair? Samumed must be keeping secrets as all private companies seem to do.

I just hope that Samumed's hair density base cases included preexisting vellus hairs.

I don't even know what exactly Sm04554's mechanism of action is. Some sort of a Wnt/beta-catenin activator is all I know. Does anyone know what its exact mechanism of action is? If Sm04554 is a direct Wnt agonist, it would presumably be far more potent than minoxidil at activating transcription by beta-catenin and probably more potent than GSK3-beta inhibitors like LiCl or VPA as well.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure because "The company expects to report results at a medical conference in spring 2017 ". I think a medical conference will take place between June and September 2017 :)

Why would they wait until Spring 2017 to report results?

Last edited:

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Why would they wait until Spring 2017 to report results?

I don't know why. If they are waiting until spring 2017 to report their results of the phase 2b. But it's possible that this is an another trial (and not the phase 2b) because they wrote "an androgenetic alopecia trial". I quote my own post if you have not read it. Your answers are in it.
And the next phase for SM is phase 3. Maybe soon.

I found this link too from Samumed website : https://www.samumed.com/medium/imag...t-american-college-of-rheumatolo_45/view.aspx

I don't understand why they want to present their phase 2 for the next summer. Very strange because this is not the "next medical conference". And why on the paper it's writing " The company expects to report results from an Androgenic Alopecia trial at a medical conference in spring 2017".
It's writing "an AA trial" and not the phase 2 :) so I think it could be an another trial like a phase 3.

However, I found an another interesting article published this October, 25th.
Source: http://magazine.pomona.edu/2016/fall/how-to-build-a-fountain-of-youth-piece-by-piece/

We can see this

They’re in diagnostics and they never shared their data, so their whole approach was: ‘Trust us, we got this,’” he says. “Being in the therapeutic field, we’re coming up with drugs; we don’t have that luxury. We cannot say, ‘Trust us, we got it.’ First and foremost, we have the FDA. The FDA is not going to take our word for it.”

The FDA is the gatekeeper, and though less than 10% of proposed new drugs ultimately earn FDA approval, the likelihood increases with each step forward in the lengthy process. The next step for Samumed’s most advanced projects, the hair loss and osteoarthritis drugs, is large Phase III studies with thousands of participants. Some 64% of drugs that begin Phase III studies are submitted for FDA approval and 90% of those are successful, according to a study cited by the independent site fdareview.org "

So, the next step is the phase 3 for their Hair loss product :) :) :) And maybe, they would present the phase 3 at the medical conference in spring 2017.

What do you think bro ?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know why. If they are waiting until spring 2017 to report their results of the phase 2b. But it's possible that this is an another trial (and not the phase 2b) because they wrote "an androgenetic alopecia trial". I quote my own post if you have not read it. Your answers are in it.
And the next phase for SM is phase 3. Maybe soon.

it looks like they completed the study in April 2016 and the one before that completed November 2015...unless i am reading these reports wrong (which is possible I have no science background at all and i am new to hair loss).

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Samumed&cond="Alopecia"

BUT it IS possible perhaps that they are on their 3rd trial/phase? But would it have to be listed?

also found these not sure everyone saw them

https://www.samumed.com/medium/image/american-academy-of-dermatology-aad-washington-dc_15/view.aspx
https://www.samumed.com/medium/image/american-academy-of-dermatology-aad-washington-dc_17/view.aspx

https://www.samumed.com/medium/image/american-academy-of-dermatology-aad-washington-dc_16/view.aspx

https://www.samumed.com/medium/image/american-academy-of-dermatology-aad-washington-dc_19/view.aspx

I 'think' they will present in March to AAD conference--March is start of Spring season.

Last edited:

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
it looks like they completed the study in April 2016 and the one before that completed November 2015...unless i am reading these reports wrong (which is possible I have no science background at all and i am new to hair loss).

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Samumed&cond="Alopecia"

BUT it IS possible perhaps that they are on their 3rd trial/phase? But would it have to be listed?

also found these not sure everyone saw them

Hi Hairblues :)
It looks like they completed the study in April 2016 but in fact, they completed it in July 2016 :)
Yes it would have be listed but They expect to make the phase 3, maybe soon

Beowulf

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do seem to remember reading in one article that they had only just finished the results report.

Another guy on hairloss2020 claimed that Samumed would have FDA approval in two years, or they were planning to anyway.

It's hard to predict with Samumed since the company is absolutely massive, and is working on all types of stuff. Hair loss seems like one of their lesser markets and treatments, I imagine they're just trying to pace out their releases in order to reassure their investors that they're doing something with that $12 billion, and that it's the FDA's fault that they haven't made any money back yet.