Skipping On Shampoo & Using Conditioner Only.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've found shampoo to be the most destructive of chemicals acceptable to use on hairpieces.

For me, it just dries the hair out unnecessarily.

Recently, I've been conditioning only & have found it leaves my piece fresh & clean.

As far as losing hair by way of loosening knots, I have a medium-density, 100-dollar piece, so I'm not all that worried.

I've found I lose far fewer hairs this way than I do if I shampoo and apply leave-in; or shampoo, condition & apply leave-in.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've found shampoo to be the most destructive of chemicals acceptable to use on hairpieces.

For me, it just dries the hair out unnecessarily.

Recently, I've been conditioning only & have found it leaves my piece fresh & clean.

As far as losing hair by way of loosening knots, I have a medium-density, 100-dollar piece, so I'm not all that worried.

I've found I lose far fewer hairs this way than I do if I shampoo and apply leave-in; or shampoo, condition & apply leave-in.

I've personally found that shampooing and conditioning my hair system (which I do in the shower along with my bio hair) leaves it really silky soft, smooth and manageable. But then again I have longer hair than most guys with hair systems and I use a good quality shampoo and conditioner from Hask with argan oil that is natural and free from parabens and sulphates so it doesn't dry my hair out. If you use a cheap shampoo that is full of chemicals, then it's going to cause more damage to your hair/hair system. You don't need to use shampoos that are specially designed for hair systems - any decent, chemical free one will work.

I've not tried a long leave in conditioner yet, but the usual conditioner I use (also from Hask) is left in for a few minutes before being rinsed out. I think the key with conditioner is to put it on the hair of the system but avoid getting any on the base. I also use a leave in conditioning spray from the same company that is basically like a styling product with no harsh chemicals - I just spray it over my hair/hair system and gently brush it through before going out etc.

You could say that technically a hair system doesn't need to be washed (or certainly not as often as bio hair) because it does not sweat and does not get build up from the scalp like bio hair would. However I still think it's good to wash it every so often as the hair on it is bound to get some dirt from the environment etc, and it helps wash out buildup on the lace too. You could even wash it with water only, I've heard some guys do that. I'd also recommend only washing your hair system once a week or less, but that's just me.

I've also heard that using a colour protecting shampoo helps to keep the colour from fading so much, though I haven't tried this yet.

I think everyone will have their own preferences and their own personal experiences with this, though, so go with what works best for you. Ultimately there are no set rules about any of this. So if what you're doing is working well for you, then great, keep doing it!

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya, I've tried a variety of shampoos - one for hairsysems and one, which I prefer, by a brand named Hask (the Argon Oil variety, also free of a lot of junk like parabens & sulfates) I use the same conditioner too, which is fantastic.

I haven't shampoo'd in the shower with my hair system on in ages, as I've gotten off tape and onto Got2B Black Gel.

Maybe that's the problem. Washing in the sink is trickier I think, as hairs can flow in various directions, including downward into the lace's holes, emerging from the scalp side of the unit - something destructive.

I've heard people mention here that shampoo'ing does for them the same it does for you: make their hair feel amazing. I've never had that experience from what I recall. It's always a drying experience, requiring conditioner + serum to feel nice again.

Maybe it's the quality of hair I'm getting...

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, I read your shampoo/conditioner as Husk & looked it up, finding nothing. I really like this brand as it's inexperience, readily available in drugstores, and seems to have all the right ingredients.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I really dislike this aspect. The balancing act of build up from leave on conditioner and washing. It's why I am keen to try a synthetic system.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
This is what I do once a week, another time I shampoo as well (with a coloring shampoo).

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I've personally found that shampooing and conditioning my hair system (which I do in the shower along with my bio hair) leaves it really silky soft, smooth and manageable. But then again I have longer hair than most guys with hair systems and I use a good quality shampoo and conditioner from Hask with argan oil that is natural and free from parabens and sulphates so it doesn't dry my hair out. If you use a cheap shampoo that is full of chemicals, then it's going to cause more damage to your hair/hair system. You don't need to use shampoos that are specially designed for hair systems - any decent, chemical free one will work.

I've not tried a long leave in conditioner yet, but the usual conditioner I use (also from Hask) is left in for a few minutes before being rinsed out. I think the key with conditioner is to put it on the hair of the system but avoid getting any on the base. I also use a leave in conditioning spray from the same company that is basically like a styling product with no harsh chemicals - I just spray it over my hair/hair system and gently brush it through before going out etc.

You could say that technically a hair system doesn't need to be washed (or certainly not as often as bio hair) because it does not sweat and does not get build up from the scalp like bio hair would. However I still think it's good to wash it every so often as the hair on it is bound to get some dirt from the environment etc, and it helps wash out buildup on the lace too. You could even wash it with water only, I've heard some guys do that. I'd also recommend only washing your hair system once a week or less, but that's just me.

I've also heard that using a colour protecting shampoo helps to keep the colour from fading so much, though I haven't tried this yet.

I think everyone will have their own preferences and their own personal experiences with this, though, so go with what works best for you. Ultimately there are no set rules about any of this. So if what you're doing is working well for you, then great, keep doing it!
The underside of lace gets dirty and starts to smell, when you wear up to 4 weeks without dereing. That's why you need to wash. But I really hope flowing water is somewhat good as well.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really dislike this aspect. The balancing act of build up from leave on conditioner and washing. It's why I am keen to try a synthetic system.

I seriously want one too. What color hair do you have?

I'm worried the hair will be shiny and fake looking, as I'm dark brown. Apparently, synthetic neither gets tangled nor loses color.

It's also extremely light ;)

Who are looking at for a supplier?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya, I've tried a variety of shampoos - one for hairsysems and one, which I prefer, by a brand named Hask (the Argon Oil variety, also free of a lot of junk like parabens & sulfates) I use the same conditioner too, which is fantastic.

I haven't shampoo'd in the shower with my hair system on in ages, as I've gotten off tape and onto Got2B Black Gel.

Maybe that's the problem. Washing in the sink is trickier I think, as hairs can flow in various directions, including downward into the lace's holes, emerging from the scalp side of the unit - something destructive.

I've heard people mention here that shampoo'ing does for them the same it does for you: make their hair feel amazing. I've never had that experience from what I recall. It's always a drying experience, requiring conditioner + serum to feel nice again.

Maybe it's the quality of hair I'm getting...

The problem definitely isn't the Hask shampoos or conditioners, as they are excellent products as I've already mentioned. I think it is likely that your system isn't the best of quality. You mention that you use $100 systems. That seems a bit TOO cheap to me. If you're buying them off Amazon or Ebay, be careful. I personally would not trust a $100 system.

A decent stock hair system should cost roughly $230 - $350, and you'll obviously pay more for a custom. If I were you, I'd try one of the popular, reputable hair system companies, purchase a system from them and see if you still get the same problems or not.

Ah, I read your shampoo/conditioner as Husk & looked it up, finding nothing. I really like this brand as it's inexperience, readily available in drugstores, and seems to have all the right ingredients.

It's a small world and an interesting coincidence that you also use Hask argan oil shampoo and conditioner too! They make great products in my opinion.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem definitely isn't the Hask shampoos or conditioners, as they are excellent products as I've already mentioned. I think it is likely that your system isn't the best of quality. You mention that you use $100 systems. That seems a bit TOO cheap to me. If you're buying them off Amazon or Ebay, be careful. I personally would not trust a $100 system.

A decent stock hair system should cost roughly $230 - $350, and you'll obviously pay more for a custom. If I were you, I'd try one of the popular, reputable hair system companies, purchase a system from them and see if you still get the same problems or not.

It's a small world and an interesting coincidence that you also use Hask argan oil shampoo and conditioner too! They make great products in my opinion.

Is this the one you are referring too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hask-Arg...MIkLPg3PSu5wIVYh6tBh28dgEzEAYYAiABEgI_yPD_BwE

Michele J.Taylor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not a healthy practice just using conditioner without shampoo..
In simple words shampoo is to remove dirt and dust and Conditioner is to improve the feel, appearance and manageability of hair, and reduce friction between strands of hair

Skipping shampoo can lead Your scalp will become home to dust, dirt, and worse

1.Your hair may stop growing or worse
2.You could get some pesky ingrown hairs
3.end up looking great
4. Your hair can fall out
5. It makes your hair look thinner
6. It will lack shine and look dull
7. Unwashed hair smells. Fact
8.Ingrowns can pop up

So,Combination of shampoo and conditioner will really works better,
The best shampoo is Pai-Shau "chemical-free Hair Products" maintains the balance of your scalp to combat dryness,
itchiness and dandruff that can be associated with hormones,
it leaves behind an energizing zing to start your (good hair) day on a high note.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Its not a healthy practice just using conditioner without shampoo..
In simple words shampoo is to remove dirt and dust and Conditioner is to improve the feel, appearance and manageability of hair, and reduce friction between strands of hair

Skipping shampoo can lead Your scalp will become home to dust, dirt, and worse

1.Your hair may stop growing or worse
2.You could get some pesky ingrown hairs
3.end up looking great
4. Your hair can fall out
5. It makes your hair look thinner
6. It will lack shine and look dull
7. Unwashed hair smells. Fact
8.Ingrowns can pop up

So,Combination of shampoo and conditioner will really works better,
The best shampoo is Pai-Shau "chemical-free Hair Products" maintains the balance of your scalp to combat dryness,
itchiness and dandruff that can be associated with hormones,
it leaves behind an energizing zing to start your (good hair) day on a high note.
My hair already is not growing. I don't get what you are talking about.

Once a week I still put shampoo on the bio hair, but on the hairpiece only conditioner.

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw your post. I am friends with an expert on hair systems. This is the routine we both use. I modified mine a tad. Let me know how this works for you.

Daily

morning-spray hair with distilled water, add leave in conditioner, comb hair thoroughly. Wear an ANTI UV RAYS hat if youre going outside. Do not let the hat get dirty.

night-same as above, wear a SILK beanie over your hair to bed to protect from dirt and oils

Wednesday or thursday

Wash hair in one direction with conditioner first. Let soak 5 minutes. Rinse. Add a color depositing conditioner after. Soak 5 minutes. Rinse. add leave in conditioner. Blow dry. Silk beanie. Go to sleep happy.

Monday

Re attachment weekly

Shampoo
Rinse
Hair Depositing conditioner 5-10 minutes soak
Rinse
Hair Mask 10min-1hr soak
Rinse
Towel dry to blow dry to attachment
Leave in conditioner after attachment and style
Blow dry again

Youre welcome!

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw your post. I am friends with an expert on hair systems. This is the routine we both use. I modified mine a tad. Let me know how this works for you.

Daily

morning-spray hair with distilled water, add leave in conditioner, comb hair thoroughly. Wear an ANTI UV RAYS hat if youre going outside. Do not let the hat get dirty.

night-same as above, wear a SILK beanie over your hair to bed to protect from dirt and oils

Wednesday or thursday

Wash hair in one direction with conditioner first. Let soak 5 minutes. Rinse. Add a color depositing conditioner after. Soak 5 minutes. Rinse. add leave in conditioner. Blow dry. Silk beanie. Go to sleep happy.

Monday

Re attachment weekly

Shampoo
Rinse
Hair Depositing conditioner 5-10 minutes soak
Rinse
Hair Mask 10min-1hr soak
Rinse
Towel dry to blow dry to attachment
Leave in conditioner after attachment and style
Blow dry again

Youre welcome!

sorry for my ignorant question, I'm new to hair systems- why can't you go with your hair system outside without a hat on? and why can't you sleep with it on without a beanie over it?

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. The hair sits in the base of a system. It will not settle down as easy as regular hair would. So if the wind hits it will lose its style semi permanently and youll have to restyle it. In some cases your hair will look fake.

2. If you dont cover with a beanie youll lose moisture in the hair and you can damage the hair by rubbing it up against itself and the pillow.

In some cases your toupee will come off if its the same day you bonded it.

Protect your hair at all costs.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. The hair sits in the base of a system. It will not settle down as easy as regular hair would. So if the wind hits it will lose its style semi permanently and youll have to restyle it. In some cases your hair will look fake.

2. If you dont cover with a beanie youll lose moisture in the hair and you can damage the hair by rubbing it up against itself and the pillow.

In some cases your toupee will come off if its the same day you bonded it.

Protect your hair at all costs.

is every hair system like that?
so you're limited to always go out with hats on and sleep with something on if you're with a hair system?

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
is every hair system like that?
so you're limited to always go out with hats on and sleep with something on if you're with a hair system?

No. You need to understand the nature of the hair systems. Things dont go back to normal when you have one on.

The hat will protect your hair from turning orange and getting hit by wind or rain.

You can put product on your hair and go outside and not worry about wind but that will expose the hair to UV rays and can turn your hair orange.

It just takes experience to learn what you should and shouldn't do.

But as to sleeping with a SILK BEANIE not a regular one. Yes. You should ALWAYS have one on before bed.

Also get a silk pillowcase too.

Ill make a post on this soon.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With respect, I personally disagree with the idea of wearing hats all the time to protect your hair system. If you're going to always wear a hat every time you go out, you might as well just be bald and shave off all your hair. Me personally, I like to show off my nice hair, not cover it with hats. That's why I got a hair system - not so I can hide it with hats.

A far better solution is to simply use a good quality UV protection spray for your hair for when you are going outside, and to use a colour protection shampoo when washing it. I'd much rather do that.