Skin thickness for an exposed hairline?

Adam89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently debating what skin thickness to purchase for an exposed hairline?

I believe the consensus is the thinner the better, to look more natural? Also what is the life span on a system with each skin thickness?

Appreciate any feedback guys, learning a lot on this forum!

Noah

Reaction score
For sure, the thinner the better, for obvious reasons. 0.03 mil is generally considered the thinnest practical grade.

Personally, though, I think lace is better for exposed hairlines. Are you wedded to skin?

Adam89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Noah, firstly thanks for the reply. Secondly, no not wedded to skin, open to play the field.

I take it you wear lace?

Noah

Reaction score
I do. I will flick you a pic of my lace hairline. The thing with lace, as compared with skin, is that there is no defined edge to see. The base just peters out in a row of tiny threads which merge into the background. Of course skin can look very good too, but there is always that edge, and occasionally if can catch the light the wrong way and become visible momentarily.

Adam89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that would be great to see, thanks again, I’ve seen that lace is brilliant for exposed hairlines also, however the only thing that puts me off is isn’t the clean up a lot more tricky? and dangerous to the system if it goes wrong?

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't even try it with anything thicker than a 0.03. I'm currently wearing a 0.05 and the difference is huge. It seems odd that 0.02mm could make such a difference, but as my stylist pointed out, it's almost twice as thick.

I know that a lot of people get a great look for their hairline using lace. For clean up purposes more than anything, I fully recommend UTS. To be honest, no matter what you decide, you may need to go down this route anyway due to availability.

Adam89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't even try it with anything thicker than a 0.03. I'm currently wearing a 0.05 and the difference is huge. It seems odd that 0.02mm could make such a difference, but as my stylist pointed out, it's almost twice as thick.

I know that a lot of people get a great look for their hairline using lace. For clean up purposes more than anything, I fully recommend UTS. To be honest, no matter what you decide, you may need to go down this route anyway due to availability.
Thanks for the info mate Yeah that’s basically where I’m at now, with what you said, just comes down to which to chose for clean ups basically now

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
My stylist wears a 0.03 in the winter months, then switches to lace with perimeter tape in the summer. Perhaps that's something you might want to consider.

Blurred Hairlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do. I will flick you a pic of my lace hairline. The thing with lace, as compared with skin, is that there is no defined edge to see. The base just peters out in a row of tiny threads which merge into the background. Of course skin can look very good too, but there is always that edge, and occasionally if can catch the light the wrong way and become visible momentarily.
Hey Noah, it's been a while man. Do you mind sending me a pic of your lace hairline? I would really appreciate it.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace is a billion-times better than UTS in terms of realism. V-Looped hairs look entirely goofy at the hairline. Pathetic.

I did have a thicker all-poly unit - non UTS. I don't remember its thickness but I'm assuming the hairs were injected as it was the most realistic unit I've ever worn.

Its downside was, of course, it was incredibly hot to wear.