Sideburns on wigs?

vedderdark23

Reaction score
I was wondering if you would know where to find a wig that has sideburns? So that there wouldn't be any blending issues at all.

I refer to a wig that can be clipped on, not a bonded full cap.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Noah

Reaction score
You can have a custom wig made to include sideburns. But sideburns are fiddly to attach and they have to be ventilated ( ie the hair attached to the base) differently from the rest of the wig. To be honest, if you can grow your own sideburns and have the wig start above them it is a lot less hassle. Even those guys who are severely bald and have to use a full wig often leave their own sideburns and a bit of hair at the base of their neck, because those are the two most difficult areas to attach a full wig. Also, in the case of sideburns, blending and colour matching is less of an issue, because most people's sideburns differ in texture and even colour from the rest of their hair. I have mostly straight hair (what's left of it!), but curly sideburns, for
example.

Can you give us more detail about what your issues are? How far has your hairloss progressed? Are you already wearing a hairpiece, and if so what are the issues you have had with it?

vedderdark23

Reaction score
Hey Noah,

Thanks for replying. I have a full wig (the kind you clip on, not glue or tape) and it's good. The only problems I have with it is the feeling sometimes that it's not on (but everytime I check in the mirror it is, probably just not used to the feeling yet) and the fact my sideburns aren't yet long enough to blend with the wig. It's a pretty good match and should work when they grow in.

The other thing is the fact that it's so damn thick. Which, actually, I like, but some people notice it right away. Not that I care that they notice... since it looks a hell of a lot better than my existing hair regardless.

But I'm pretty new to this and was looking at ways to avoid color matching (especially since it takes most companies a hell of a long time to make one of these wigs) so that's why I wanted to have the hair be from the wig for the sideburns and back.

It's beginning to sound easier to just get the correct match, however.

By the way, to answer your question about my hair loss, I would just say it's really thin both on the front and crown. Enough to be done with rogaine and other regrowth stuff.

Thanks again! Any advice is appreciated!

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, oddly enough colour matching doesn't seem to be a big problem for the wig-manufacturers. If you send in a sample of your hair, you rarely get a bad match. What is a problem is the false hair fading at a different rate from your real hair, producing a mismatch. That is something you always need to be alert for if you wear a hairpiece, and wearing a full wig gets around that problem.

I can't really get to grips with what you are trying to achieve with your hair. Most of us hair-wearers want the hair to look and feel like our own, and we wear it full time and want it to be undetectable. It doesn't sound like you are so fussed about those issues. The conventional wisdom is that you try to keep as much of your real hair as you viably can. So if it is only the hair on the top which is gone, you just replace that (with a toupee / hairpiece) and keep the good stuff. You only need a full wig if your sides and back are too far gone to be usable.

Either way, for a decent result which feels like your own hair (to yourself and others) you need to get rid of the clips and use glue and/or tape. Not only does it feel better and stay on more securely, but it means you can use a fine lace base on your hairpiece. With clips you need a stronger base, which is also coarser and more detectable. Clips are only good for when you are uncertain whether you want to wear a hair replacement, or if you want to be able to take your hairpiece on and off very frequently (eg if you are an actor, or you prefer to sleep bald). They are not suitable for full-time hair wearers. IMHO.

vedderdark23

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. Just experimenting right now. We'll see what I wind up doing. I did order a french lace wig. Probably every guy goes through a sort of evolution on this stuff. Thank you for your input.