Side Effects From Finasteride, What Should I Do?

Jensen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I'm 21 years old guy and I have been using finasteride for one year. Problem is that I'm suffering from side effects and besides that I'm still losing my hair. What options do I have? If I try out oral dutasteride is it likely that I got the same side effects? I have also read about topical finasteride and dutasteride, but I'm not sure which one I should try out. With topical dutasteride I haven't really found proper formula. Is it okay if I just crush the pills and mix them with minoxidil?

jazz1

Reaction score

Jensen

My Regimen
Reaction score
1mg of finasteride, minoxidil twice a day and microneedling once a week.

Jensen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depending on what sides and how intense
Libido almost zero and watery sperm. Little bit background. I have been using different medication (SSRI and SNRI) for depression and anxiety for years. The medication lowers libido a little bit too so I wasn't so sure about side effects of finasteride when started it about a year ago. However I wasn't taking the medication (SNRI's) last summer and my libido didn't came back even though it has came back before when I have been off with the medication.

I know that this seems like totally libido killer combo but I really don't have much options. I can't live somewhat normal life without the medication and I am freaking out with my hairloss.

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for your struggles.

I personally wouldn't prioritize my hair over my libido. I was on finasteride for 10 years and if I had that issue, would have quit right away.

You're only 21 so I can sympathize with the fear of going bald, but hair isn't everything and there's plenty of handsome dudes out there that are bald. Shave your head and own it and you'll be fine. You'll get a point where you're okay with losing your hair.

Or you could could try minoxidil? I am currently not on anything myself but just started using nizoral and coconut oil/rosemary oil.

Good luck

J

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for your struggles.

I personally wouldn't prioritize my hair over my libido. I was on finasteride for 10 years and if I had that issue, would have quit right away.

You're only 21 so I can sympathize with the fear of going bald, but hair isn't everything and there's plenty of handsome dudes out there that are bald. Shave your head and own it and you'll be fine. You'll get a point where you're okay with losing your hair.

Or you could could try minoxidil? I am currently not on anything myself but just started using nizoral and coconut oil/rosemary oil.

Good luck

J
Why'd you quit Fina?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Libido almost zero and watery sperm. Little bit background. I have been using different medication (SSRI and SNRI) for depression and anxiety for years. The medication lowers libido a little bit too so I wasn't so sure about side effects of finasteride when started it about a year ago. However I wasn't taking the medication (SNRI's) last summer and my libido didn't came back even though it has came back before when I have been off with the medication.

I know that this seems like totally libido killer combo but I really don't have much options. I can't live somewhat normal life without the medication and I am freaking out with my hairloss.
That is definitely a tough spot to be. Unfortunately you have to choose in between being a ghostly person with potentially shaggy hair or a functional one with no hair. If your hair loss struggles stem from the fear of being rejected by women I can tell you one thing: no woman wants a man with no desire for sex no matter thw amount of hair.

Jensen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, can you talk to your doctor? Never good to take medical advice on a forum. Seriously, book an appointment with your GP.
I have and they have told me to stop taking finasteride. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure that finasteride is behind the low libido. I have been struggling a lot with depression lately so i guess it can cause that too.

So anyway I'm interested in testing topical dutasteride. I just can't find anybody that has mixed it with minoxidil.

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why'd you quit Fina?

I'm in my mid 30s now... I guess you grow up and wonder why you're taking meds for something so superficial. Do I believe hair is everything now? No. Do I want to keep my hair? Yes. Am I willing to risk a medication doing something to my body (however unlikely) in the long term? No. I think the risk is low but not going to take any gambles myself. I know when I started, I saw a reduction in my libido (like 30% if I can quantify it) and just dealt with it. So I do believe it causes side effects like this. Is it dangerous? I don't think so. Could it impact your qualify of life? Yes, absolutely. To each his own type thing...

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have and they have told me to stop taking finasteride. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure that finasteride is behind the low libido. I have been struggling a lot with depression lately so i guess it can cause that too.

So anyway I'm interested in testing topical dutasteride. I just can't find anybody that has mixed it with minoxidil.

I would take your doctor's advice. Like I said in my last post, it impacted my libido but I dealt with it for 10 years... it wasn't like I had no libido but I went from watching p**rn every night (as someone in my mid 20s) to literally once a week within a few weeks of starting the medication. It's been like that ever since. Do I know it was the finasteride? No. Do I think it was? Yes, 95% sure. But hard to isolate variables like that, but I just remember thinking 2 weeks after starting it, wow, my libido just dropped drastically. Did it impact my quality of life drastically? No I wouldn't say so... I was a horny bugger so some drop in libido wasn't a terrible thing but I personally wouldn't take the chance. But it's your decision at the end of the day. Low libido could also worsen your depression. I wouldn't pick hair over my libido personally. It's just hair and you're young and probably dont realize it, but hair isn't everything. And like I said, some people might not like baldies, but there's plenty that do so dont worry about finding a partner. It's all about confidence and being yourself.

mark1970

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I'm 21 years old guy and I have been using finasteride for one year. Problem is that I'm suffering from side effects and besides that I'm still losing my hair. What options do I have? If I try out oral dutasteride is it likely that I got the same side effects? I have also read about topical finasteride and dutasteride, but I'm not sure which one I should try out. With topical dutasteride I haven't really found proper formula. Is it okay if I just crush the pills and mix them with minoxidil?
HI i have been on propecia for 23 years , i found exercise offsets the sides , also try weight lifting , having said that low libido has affected me but prefer to keep my hair and have slight decreased libido

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont know who can prescribe you finasteride along with SSRI and SNRI
taper it off

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont know who can prescribe you finasteride along with SSRI and SNRI
taper it off
What do you mean? I had both for years.
I currently use topical dutasteride and minoxidil compounded from Murray Ave. Its been a few weeks but I hate to say I don't think it's working. I dont think it gets deep enough, still have the male pattern baldness burn itch going on, where I didn't before with finasteride or even topical finasteride.
Id like to try dutasteride mesotherapy.