Sick of Ruining Pieces During the the Washing Process.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
This, for me, has been an issue from jumpstreet and i think it has to do with adhesive getting in the hair and spreading around with water, solvent and/or shampoo.

In a word, the unit in the hair goes from being normal to being dreaded, twisted, matted, knotted to an unsalvagable degree.

what is going on?

I don't really see much rhyme or reason. Sometimes when I remove a piece, remove the adhesive and hit it w water and shampoo, everything goes fine. Othertimes, the EXTREME twisting/tangling/dreadlocking occurs.

Any suggestions?

These pieces unforunately have to go in the trash as they are beyond repair - so far as I know. If you know a way to salvage, please let me know.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It seems like the cuticles have been removed and some or all hair knotted "upside down" - basically, no care on knotting to keep the hair in (correct) one direction. Often this will save them costs and be hair from different sources included reused. The wet hair and shampoo tends to make it more extreme.

How long is the hair?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like the cuticles have been removed and some or all hair knotted "upside down" - basically, no care on knotting to keep the hair in (correct) one direction. Often this will save them costs and be hair from different sources included reused. The wet hair and shampoo tends to make it more extreme.

How long is the hair?
Hits the top of my ears at its longest portion. This has happened a lot, never with short haired systems.

Do you know which manufacters absolutely avoid the no-nos you just mentioned?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I've started thinking about it as well. Why does it happen after the washing? All is good after even my 4-5 week wearing period, when it's still on my head: the hair is untangled, seperate, straight and beautiful. Only after soaking and washing I've got dreadlocks. Luckily they can be combed out, but it's with some work.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here. I think my system hair has a length of maybe 8-10 cm. After I washed It when it´s not on my head, I spray it with detangler and caryfully brush it through

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here. I think my system hair has a length of maybe 8-10 cm. After I washed It when it´s not on my head, I spray it with detangler and caryfully brush it through

I have a long hair system (10 inches). I never get any of the issues people have mentioned in this thread. The most likely cause you're getting these problems is that it's not a high quality system, however a few other points:

Always brush it through BEFORE washing - spray with water or leave in conditioner from a spray bottle, and brush with a detangling brush (gently glide it through, do not tug). Also, the knots are weaker when wet, so be VERY gentle if brushing it while wet. Always wash it on a mannequin head too (if washing it while it's not attached to your head). Shampoo it very gently also.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I have a long hair system (10 inches). I never get any of the issues people have mentioned in this thread. The most likely cause you're getting these problems is that it's not a high quality system, however a few other points:

Always brush it through BEFORE washing - spray with water or leave in conditioner from a spray bottle, and brush with a detangling brush (gently glide it through, do not tug). Also, the knots are weaker when wet, so be VERY gentle if brushing it while wet. Always wash it on a mannequin head too (if washing it while it's not attached to your head). Shampoo it very gently also.
It's soaking with C22 solvent before washing. Is it good to comb it like that?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
But if a system can handle its initial wash without tangling, would that rule out the system's having low quality or badly aligned hair?

I don't have problems from the outset. It happens over time, after a detachment, and not necessarily the first one.

Jbnonc

My Regimen
Reaction score
This, for me, has been an issue from jumpstreet and i think it has to do with adhesive getting in the hair and spreading around with water, solvent and/or shampoo.

In a word, the unit in the hair goes from being normal to being dreaded, twisted, matted, knotted to an unsalvagable degree.

what is going on?

I don't really see much rhyme or reason. Sometimes when I remove a piece, remove the adhesive and hit it w water and shampoo, everything goes fine. Othertimes, the EXTREME twisting/tangling/dreadlocking occurs.

Any suggestions?

These pieces unforunately have to go in the trash as they are beyond repair - so far as I know. If you know a way to salvage, please let me know.
It is poor quality hair - plain and simple. I’ve seen it many times. While I agree hair should always be combed and untangled prior to washing, no amount of pre-wash conditioner or combing will make a difference with poor quality hair.

Since the pandemic, it seems the quality of hair from ALL sources has suffered. Even vendors that were known to consistently sell better quality hair have been impacted.

Something we will have to accept for the time being, until everyone is done playing catch-up I’m afraid. If you can get 30 days out of a unit worn 24/7 you’re doing good these days.

You’re best option for the time being is to consider a non- permanent attachment… one where you can remove the system at night while you sleep. This will enable you go longer between washing and styling and keep the hair looking great. Because as you know, you can wash these systems with low-quality hair twice- maybe 3 times tops before they become a matter mess when wet. Take it from someone wearing hair over 20 years. I know what I’m talking about.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
It is poor quality hair - plain and simple. I’ve seen it many times. While I agree hair should always be combed and untangled prior to washing, no amount of pre-wash conditioner or combing will make a difference with poor quality hair.

Since the pandemic, it seems the quality of hair from ALL sources has suffered. Even vendors that were known to consistently sell better quality hair have been impacted.

Something we will have to accept for the time being, until everyone is done playing catch-up I’m afraid. If you can get 30 days out of a unit worn 24/7 you’re doing good these days.

You’re best option for the time being is to consider a non- permanent attachment… one where you can remove the system at night while you sleep. This will enable you go longer between washing and styling and keep the hair looking great. Because as you know, you can wash these systems with low-quality hair twice- maybe 3 times tops before they become a matter mess when wet. Take it from someone wearing hair over 20 years. I know what I’m talking about.
I've noticed bigger tangles as well after the pandemic.

DarkStranger

My Regimen
Reaction score

That's shocking to read. Especially when companies have increased the price. If the quality sucks ***.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am assuming that you take it off and wash it yourself than reattach, but while I use a salon for everything, I have your issue too as I wash my hair in the shower with the system on and attached.

I usually go 2 weeks with no problems but start to run into your stuff after that. I used to go every 4 weeks to the salon for cleaning and reattachment but now go every 3 (and sometimes 2 depending on my schedule). But somehow they are always able to clean and "fix" it when I'm there so that must be possible. I change systems with them every 2-3 months.

Jbnonc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am assuming that you take it off and wash it yourself than reattach, but while I use a salon for everything, I have your issue too as I wash my hair in the shower with the system on and attached.

I usually go 2 weeks with no problems but start to run into your stuff after that. I used to go every 4 weeks to the salon for cleaning and reattachment but now go every 3 (and sometimes 2 depending on my schedule). But somehow they are always able to clean and "fix" it when I'm there so that must be possible. I change systems with them every 2-3 months
Result is the same whether washing the unit while wearing or removed from the head. And yes- the matting can be undone with patience but not without damage to the hair system. The hair system can be conditioned, re-attached and worn for however long the wearer chooses. But the overall appearance of the system has taken a big hit- now dull, lifeless and starting to shed badly. Those who can afford to replace the system will- others will stick it out for as long as they have to.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

I usually go 2 weeks with no problems but start to run into your stuff after that. I used to go every 4 weeks to the salon for cleaning and reattachment but now go every 3 (and sometimes 2 depending on my schedule). But somehow they are always able to clean and "fix" it when I'm there so that must be possible. I change systems with them every 2-3 months.
They probably just comb the tangles out. It's quite quick, if someone else does it for you.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Damn. This problem has just got worse. Duplicates I've been wearing 8 months now (each 4 months old then) are tangling so much that they don't look good right after I put them on. I let it be detangled again with a brush, but this time it took some and work to do. How can this be avoided? Everything is still fine after I've taken it off. It only happens after soaking, scrubbing, water flosser, washing, conditioning and then spraying knot sealer. Where in that process does it go so bad? After scrubbing and water flosser is when I start seeing the pull-throughed hairs on the wrong side of the lace.

RustyBoomstick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn. This problem has just got worse. Duplicates I've been wearing 8 months now (each 4 months old then) are tangling so much that they don't look good right after I put them on. I let it be detangled again with a brush, but this time it took some and work to do. How can this be avoided? Everything is still fine after I've taken it off. It only happens after soaking, scrubbing, water flosser, washing, conditioning and then spraying knot sealer. Where in that process does it go so bad? After scrubbing and water flosser is when I start seeing the pull-throughed hairs on the wrong side of the lace.

Cotton wool balls rubbed around the lace base to get most of the residue off. Then use C22 Solvent on a cotton wool ball.
Shampoo it base side up,held under water. Do NOT submerge it.
If you're doing the washing part wrong when it's not on your head. Yes the hair can pull through the wrong side of the base like that.

RunsWithScissors

My Regimen
Reaction score

what is going on?

Any suggestions?

Would tape work for you instead of glue? Seems it would be easier to manage. Might restrict you to daily wear though (is that bad?).

Jbnonc

My Regimen
Reaction score
But if a system can handle its initial wash without tangling, would that rule out the system's having low quality or badly aligned hair?

I don't have problems from the outset. It happens over time, after a detachment, and not necessarily the first one.

Jbnonc

My Regimen
Reaction score
PEOPLE. The problem is poor quality hair. Period. The more you wash the unit, the worse it will tangle and mat. Use tape instead of glue- take the unit off before you take a shower- take the unit off before going to bed- leave the tape in place on the system- do not remove the tape. In the morning clean your scalp with alcohol and clean the tape with alcohol. Alcohol removes the oil residue from the used tape and makes it sticky again. You can re-attach the unit without having to re-tape it several times. Until the quality of hair improves this is the only way to keep the hair looking good and make it last.