Should The System Only Cover The Top Hair Or Slightly More?

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Getting ready to cut the base for my system. Last time, I had it done for me and they made a template/cut the base to cover only my top "bad" hair just like in all the videos, which meant that the left and right edge of the system sat right on my recession points (the very edges of the top hair where the part would be on one side or the other). I comb my hair to the left, which meant that I was combing right from the perimeter of the system. Unsurprisingly, that's where the first bit of major shedding started--it looked like my "part" suddenly got very wide.

I was thinking this time about making the template a little larger so that the edges of the system would sit a bit past my recession points. That would involve shaving into my "good" biohair on the sides. The part of the system that sits past my recession points would be considered side hair instead of top hair--then if I chose to comb it over, I wouldn't be combing from the perimeter of the system.

Does this make sense to do, or is there some reason that I shouldn't?

(Example of what I'm talking about in attached photo. It looks like he's shaved into his good hair on the part side, yes?)

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Generally the rule is you keep as much of your viable natural hair as you can, and just shave off and cover the bit that is too weak or non-existent. But I think you have a good reason to make an exception - it is not a good idea to have a hard parting which coincides with the edge of the base. It is far more likely that the edge of the base will be visible, and as you say, there may also be increased shedding. So if I were you I would either move my parting upwards, so that it is wholly on your existing piece, or else extend your piece a bit further down so that you can keep the parting where it is and still keep it on the piece.

Incidentally, if you always wear a parting and you buy custom pieces, you should consider getting the parting ventilated into the design of the hairpiece. It produces a really nice effect - much better than just creating the parting yourself on a freestyle-ventilated piece.

Noah

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you @Noah! Related question: I hear you about having the parting ventilated on a custom piece, but the one I'm working with at the moment is a stock piece. Would a parting (just a casual one, nothing too formal) still work?

Noah

Reaction score
Oh sure, it will still work fine, especially for a casual parting. But for the future, when you are replacing your unit, you should think about a factory-ventilated parting.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool! Just one more thought: since I'm going to extend the piece a bit further down on the left side, does it make sense to extend it on the right as well? Would there be a benefit in it being symmetrical? Or is it better that the piece end on the right at my recession point where the bad bio-hair ends?

Noah

Reaction score
I don't think there is any particular advantage to its being symmetrical, except that you will look rather odd if anyone sees you without it. I know at least one guy who wears a lopsided unit and he hasn't mentioned any problems.