Should I tell my GF about my hairloss?

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well my hairloss is becoming more and more obvious, but many people that don't have hairloss dont really look at your hair very much. I am starting to get stronger and stronger feelings for my girlfriend and I kind of just want to tell her that I am losing my hair, and then see her reaction. Has anyone else talked to their significant other about their hairloss? Would you recommend it? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and act like it doesnt bother me?? Thanks for the help guys.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
not at first. Once you've bagged her, you'll have to eventually, because she'll notice.

if you take Finasteride you may be able to hide that fact, but probably not if you use topicals like minoxidil.

don't buy into all this 'she'll love you for who you are, not your hair' crap. Women are shallow and superficial

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
tell her you have dandruff? brilliant suggestion. Because women love men with dandruff

lulz if your gfs dump you because you tell them you have occasional dandruff (which they have never seen) then thats sad. btw like 100 million people in the us suffer from dandruff

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You don't tell her verbally. You let your hair loss speak for itself. If she stays she loves you. If she leaves then she is a baldist ****.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You don't need to tell your girlfriend and doing so will only makes you look insecure.

If your hairloss is becoming "more and more obvious" like you say, then you shouldn't hide it from her visually. Slick your hair back don't try to camouflage it, be proud of who you are and if she then has a negative reaction to it, then as UCman says, you know she is a baldist **** and you should dump her immeadiately without fail!

I carried out the same test on my girlfriend recently, who i'd been with for 2 years... and she passed!:gay2:

Quite funny really, I had her down for the superficial baldist type and I was getting ready to dump her, but it turned out in her view she just wanted me to embrace my real NW3 look and be more confident in myself and the way I looked, because before I was all hyper-self conscious and would always try to hide my hairloss.

When I started slicking my hair back, she actually loved it and much prefers it to all my other styles/combovers :D I think maybe because it shows great confidence and someone who is at peace with themself...

Now I defintiely wouldn't say i'm 100% at peace with myself yet, lol and you might not be at peace with yourself, but in the interests of your girlfirend, you have to make it look as though you are because all girls find insecure guys with no confidence very unattractive.

WhereDaHair

Reaction score
Nex, feel ya buddy. My girl obviously knows because my hair loss is pretty evident at this point. You know, I still can't tell how she genuinely feels about it. She's says 'don't worry about it' and all that all the time but if I wasn't doing such an exceptional job of hiding it to the rest of the world it might be different. I'm trying to say that other people finding out I am going bald might affect her more than just her knowing.

If your'e gonna talk about it, just make it casual. Like it just came up somehow. Not a formal conversation just to talk about that. One day as you're getting ready to go somewhere or something just make a little remark about it or a joke. But maybe don't come off over stressed about it - more confident and less bothered. I don't know. It sucks. I'm just another guy in the same position as you. But, if you plan on being with her for a long time and you're serious then she's gonna find out anyway. Unless you got the secret to not go bald and still have a libido - in which case you better come off your secret right now and share it with me.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I really wanted to just tell her because she keeps asking me to grow my hair out and its starting to annoy me... I guess I will hold off on talking with her though

Audi

Reaction score
My hairloss isn't that bad. Thin and losing on the crown. My ex-girl was a hairstylist so she used to cut my hair. She didn't care about it thinning, although she wouldn't admit I was losing it. It was nice getting hooked up with pretty much the best hair products out there for free. Other than that she was bat**** insane. lol.

dinosaur_sr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss is personal so don't tell her in the early stages - it'd just be uncomfortable. She's not going to start pointing out her crow's feet or cellulite etc, so there's no need for you to do the same. If she notices it, admit to it but keep it light and honest, don't be overly jokey or miserable.

Personally I wouldn't even bother bringing it up at all, even if you started seeing each other long term and the relationship became serious - it's just awkward and unnecessary. She'll notice eventually, and she'll come to her own conclusions. Most likely it won't matter to her, women seem to except it as part of the aging process. There are a few who see it as a major turn off, but if that's the case then I wouldn't beat yourself up over it as it's her hang up if she's not willing to keep a relationship going for that reason.

Dullahan

Reaction score
Has anyone else talked to their significant other about their hairloss? Would you recommend it?

Hi Nex. I'd say it depends on the relationship. If things are getting serious between you two, and she truly doesn't know about your hair loss, then it's probably best to tell her or make it known somehow. If she truly loves you, it won't matter to her. And like others have said, if she reacts negatively, then she is a vain class A c*nt and you are better off without her.

dude77

Reaction score
if it was me, I wouldn't initiate a discussion with her about it and 'make it an issue' .. if she mentions it, then I would briefly address it but in a very nonchalant "doesn't concern me" manner .. even if it does concern you, you shouldn't show that it concerns you ..

granted every gf is different though .. she may take it positively that you're telling her and actually be supportive and try to help .. some are like that .. you're in the best position to know .. but I think the safe bet is to just not bring it up and/or make an issue of it

jabbathehair

Established Member
Reaction score
never heard of a woman leaving a man because he was losing his hair unless your 16 but that's to be expected at that age.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
never heard of a woman leaving a man because he was losing his hair unless your 16 but that's to be expected at that age.

Well if you hang around this forum long enough you will read plenty of stories of men who've lost their wives/girlfriends because of their lack of hair... admittedly these types are almost always digustingly shallow, superficial women, that no man could love or be with for life anyway... but it does happen, no point deluding ourselves, some girls won't be able to accept a guy having no hair for the rest of his life.

So that's why it's all the more important for guys who are bald/balding to be open and proud (not insecure) about it, in order to guage their girlfriend's reaction and find out whether they are genuine wife material, or just some superficial wh*** only love with the physical image and absolutely nothing else.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well guys I talked to her about it and it went great! Huge weight off my shoulders, now I am not as worried as I used to be about my hairloss

H

hairplz

You should leave your girlfriend if you start to go bald. If she stays, you know that she fell for you with her. She will be basically settling and feeling pain all the time. She will most likely cheat. The correct way is to leave her, then go bald, then find a girl who will love your bald head.