Should I Stop Avodart (dutasteride)? Need Help, Especially From Its Users.

Andrew200056

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently on the big 3 treatment (added avodart since Jan 2018). Since I've started dutasteride, I can see really great results on the crown. However, my hairline and temples are so much worse. Moreover, the shedding (or probably loss) has the same rate till now. I take one bill daily (genuine GSK avodart). Should I stop taking avodart? Many assume that it's due to the high testosterone level due to great DHT suppression..Any experiences from people who used it for longer than 1 year are highly appreciated. Will this ever be reversed if I continued on avodart?? thanks so much in advance.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently on the big 3 treatment (added avodart since Jan 2018). Since I've started dutasteride, I can see really great results on the crown. However, my hairline and temples are so much worse. Moreover, the shedding (or probably loss) has the same rate till now. I take one bill daily (genuine GSK avodart). Should I stop taking avodart? Many assume that it's due to the high testosterone level due to great DHT suppression..Any experiences from people who used it for longer than 1 year are highly appreciated. Will this ever be reversed if I continued on avodart?? thanks so much in advance.
Sorry to offer my opinion since I'm not talking through experience, but here is my 2 cents on your situation. There is some anecdotal evidence that dht isn't the only thing that attacks hair follicles. Dht is probably the harshest androgen that attacks hair though. This guy claims to have done an experiment on himself. https://moreplatesmoredates.com/testosterone-causes-hair-loss/

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to offer my opinion since I'm not talking through experience, but here is my 2 cents on your situation. There is some anecdotal evidence that dht isn't the only thing that attacks hair follicles. Dht is probably the harshest androgen that attacks hair though. This guy claims to have done an experiment on himself. https://moreplatesmoredates.com/testosterone-causes-hair-loss/

I applaud him for doing this experiment however it was poorly designed and the rationale is not good so really we cannot deduce anything.

Fact is men lacking the 5AR2 enzyme keep their pre pubertal hairlines into old age but have normal levels of testosterone and estrogen.

There are quite a few studies showing testosterone helps grow hair. This guy is taking large amounts of testosterone and is saying he is shedding more than when he was using RU so it must mean Testosterone causes hair loss. I have always shed a lot and still do...my husky dog also sheds a crazy amount yet he is not bald.

We cannot compare FPL with MPL either which is something he tries to do. That is why Finasteride helps men but does not help women...because while they are androgen dysfunction disorders they are not the same.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my husky dog also sheds a crazy amount yet he is not bald

Funny... yet there might be something to it. In the end not the shedding seems to be the problem but not being able to keep up with the shedding (i.e. not replacing the hairs being shed).

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I applaud him for doing this experiment however it was poorly designed and the rationale is not good so really we cannot deduce anything.

Fact is men lacking the 5AR2 enzyme keep their pre pubertal hairlines into old age but have normal levels of testosterone and estrogen.

There are quite a few studies showing testosterone helps grow hair. This guy is taking large amounts of testosterone and is saying he is shedding more than when he was using RU so it must mean Testosterone causes hair loss. I have always shed a lot and still do...my husky dog also sheds a crazy amount yet he is not bald.

We cannot compare FPL with MPL either which is something he tries to do. That is why Finasteride helps men but does not help women...because while they are androgen dysfunction disorders they are not the same.

Just wonder why so many users reported sides from taking 5ar2 inhibitors

Btw, are those lacking 5ar2 enzyme suffering from sexual and brain disease ? I read thar 5ar2 is involved in many other process, not just DHT.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wonder why so many users reported sides from taking 5ar2 inhibitors

Btw, are those lacking 5ar2 enzyme suffering from sexual and brain disease ? I read thar 5ar2 is involved in many other process, not just DHT.

They are called pseudohermaphrodites. They do not suffer from brain disease but their sexual organs are not developed properly. One of the reasons why Finasteride should not be taken by younger males or women who are pregnant.

el_duterino

Reaction score
My hairline held for 4 years on dutasteride alone but started to thin

the loss halted when I added Flutamide, then RU and Cb. That s 10 years ago. Still works now

any anti-androgen will work well at the hairline.

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score

The only advice I can suggest is to have your DHT levels tested with the hope that you have baselines to compare with. It's basically the only way to know if the drug is effectively working at the dose prescribed. Apart from that, are you sure you are a responder to Minoxidil and that your frontal shedding is not related to it's use? Also, are you suffering from any kind of dandruff or a scalp dermatitis? If not, there is no reason to use a Keto shampoo as it can cause drying and hair breakage and also has no effect on androgenic hairloss despite what people here want to believe. If all looks good, it could be possible that your hairloss is not androgenic related.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey brah I reallly need your help.
I have done a blood work for my cholesterol and it has skyrocketted after 6 month of duta!
Is duta known to caused that???

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey brah I reallly need your help.
I have done a blood work for my cholesterol and it has skyrocketted after 6 month of duta!
Is duta known to caused that???

I've read quite a few studies that link use of finasteride to negative modification of the lipid profile. When I say negative, I mean a significant decrease of HDL (high densitylipoprotein aka the good cholesterol). Studies were done mainly during 6 months periods of time and didn't seem to have significant alteration of the LDL (low-density lipoproteins aka the bad cholesterol) or the total cholesterol. BUT, as someone that has been having his cholesterol on watch, I can tell you (from what I've been told by my doctors) that the HDL can keep in check the LDL and balances out the overall effects of it (ie. a higher LDL is somehwat kept in check by a slightly elevated HDL but the same higher LDL can be a bigger problem when having a lower or too low HDL...not sure I was very clear).

If you have a genetic predisposition to have elevated cholesterol values, you may at more risk than the general population. You may wanna add healthy fats to your diet and supplements such as Cholestoff?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** man, pre fina and duta my cholesterol as perfect, and now my total chlesterol jumped from 1.06 to 2.18 wtf!!!

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** man, pre fina and duta my cholesterol as perfect, and now my total chlesterol jumped from 1.06 to 2.18 wtf!!!

I don't wanna do that blame game with Fina or Duta but there seems to be a real risk as far as cholesterol goes. Again, some people may be more at risk than others. Besides the sexual side effects which I dread mostly, the cholesterol issue is one of the main reasons I have serious doubts whether I should give Fina a try or not. Probably by the time I decide I'll have no more hair to save but it really makes me think: do I wanna wake up 5-10 years later with plethora of health consequences? It's fucked up to have to choose between keeping hair and risking your overall well-being.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are called pseudohermaphrodites. They do not suffer from brain disease but their sexual organs are not developed properly. One of the reasons why Finasteride should not be taken by younger males or women who are pregnant.

You may be more informed on this than me but I thought that the population lacking 5ar2 enzyme in the end catch-up and around 12 years of age go into "overdrive" and develop normal sexual organs and do not remain pseudo-hermaphrodites for their entire life. I thought that once going through puberty they have a normal development minus the effects DHT have on the rest of the male population...

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read quite a few studies that link use of finasteride to negative modification of the lipid profile. When I say negative, I mean a significant decrease of HDL (high densitylipoprotein aka the good cholesterol). Studies were done mainly during 6 months periods of time and didn't seem to have significant alteration of the LDL (low-density lipoproteins aka the bad cholesterol) or the total cholesterol. BUT, as someone that has been having his cholesterol on watch, I can tell you (from what I've been told by my doctors) that the HDL can keep in check the LDL and balances out the overall effects of it (ie. a higher LDL is somehwat kept in check by a slightly elevated HDL but the same higher LDL can be a bigger problem when having a lower or too low HDL...not sure I was very clear).

If you have a genetic predisposition to have elevated cholesterol values, you may at more risk than the general population. You may wanna add healthy fats to your diet and supplements such as Cholestoff?

Uh I’ve only seen no significant change versus occasional increase in certain hdl subtypes... I think you’re thinking of duta

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Uh I’ve only seen no significant change versus occasional increase in certain hdl subtypes... I think you’re thinking of duta

No, it was actually the finasteride. Did not have significant changes to the LDL but had a significant impact on HDL ( lowering it, if you only lower the HDL and not the LDL that is usually not a good thing).

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it was actually the finasteride. Did not have significant changes to the LDL but had a significant impact on HDL ( lowering it, if you only lower the HDL and not the LDL that is usually not a good thing).

Well if you can find it please link. Even if this is the case for that one study I’m pulling up multiple studies not replicating that finding so I’m not too worried

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if you can find it please link. Even if this is the case for that one study I’m pulling up multiple studies not replicating that finding so I’m not too worried

Yeah I'll try to remember where they where located. I've also seen other users bringing this up here and there. As I said above I think genetics also play a big role and some people are more at risk than others just as some have more pronounced sides than others. But I think once you notice that happening to you it's definitely worth it to look into it because such a significant spike in 6 months is usually worrying.

el_duterino

Reaction score
For hairline loss - dutasteride is better than finasteride, RU is better than dutasteride and CB is about as good as RU but without the side effects
If you worry about side effects then CB is the best but it's 5 times more expensive than RU
If you keep you hair very short then you can probably maintain with 50mg of CB alone which costs 2.8 USD a day

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I just hit 7 months and feeling the same. You are coming up on a year. any update? didn't hairline recover?

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I’m in the same boat at 7 months on dutasteride. I think it just doesn’t work on the front as the rate of loss is the same. However, I wouldn’t switch back to finasteride- I did this and lost a load more hair. I am now adding RU, I tried CB but it seems quite weak and didn’t stop my hair loss (2.5% in 1 ml stemoxidine daily).

My hairline held for 4 years on dutasteride alone but started to thin

the loss halted when I added Flutamide, then RU and Cb. That s 10 years ago. Still works now

any anti-androgen will work well at the hairline.
El Duterino, are you able to shed any light on the correct dosage/ frequency of RU (or CB)required to preserve the hairline while on dutasteride?
Also, what tests do you have done to ensure that RU isn’t causing any health issues?
Thanks!