Should I Start With Dutasteride Or Finasteride? (hairloss Noob)

Saiyaman

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I am JUST BEGINNING my fight against hair loss (receding NW2), should I try to jump to dutasteride right away or start with finasteride? My Dr prescribed me proscar and when I brought up dutasteride she kinda indicated it was more of the nuclear option and did not want to prescribe it. I am also on Rogaine 5% and Ketoconazale 2%.

My question is, to maintain the hairline, should I try to convince her to prescribe me dutasteride or should I just pick up my proscar prescription? I thought I heard that to keep a low hairline that dutasteride is the best bet, but also it sounds like people respond well to finasteride as well.

Thanks!

hmm420

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I am JUST BEGINNING my fight against hair loss (receding NW2), should I try to jump to dutasteride right away or start with finasteride? My Dr prescribed me proscar and when I brought up dutasteride she kinda indicated it was more of the nuclear option and did not want to prescribe it. I am also on Rogaine 5% and Ketoconazale 2%.

My question is, to maintain the hairline, should I try to convince her to prescribe me dutasteride or should I just pick up my proscar prescription? I thought I heard that to keep a low hairline that dutasteride is the best bet, but also it sounds like people respond well to finasteride as well.

Thanks!
What did you do and how did it go? I'm thinking of starting dutasteride straight away so it stops the loss and regrows what I lost so far...

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Dutasteride was killing my hairline, finasteride did wonders for me. dutasteride should work better on paper, but your doctor is right, start with the less intense option. There is a higher chance of side effects with dutasteride. Besides, you are using the big three, its probably gonna work out just fine! Good luck...

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride seems to have a higher incidence of sides. Especially gyno.