Should I Start Oral Minoxidil? Do You Recommend It?

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a diffuse thinner on finasteride , roughly NW1.5. Desperate to get a thicker hairline. Should I try oral minoxidil? I'm worried about the usual side effects such as decreased collagen and dark circles, can I curb them somehow? Maybe by skipping days ?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been doing it, just over a month. Shedding as hell. Diffuse thinner as well. I'd be happy just to get thicker hair, since I'm tired of toppik. I can't tell you if I'm happy with the results yet (obviously) but I will say that I haven't noticed anything new while taking oral minoxidil. I started at 10mg a day and got dark circles, now doing 5mg and its normal.

I'd suggest trying it, checking your blood pressure. If it fucks up your blood pressure, then just stop it. I doubt using 2.5mg-10mg will do anything to your health in the short term and if it does screw up blood pressure just stop. Everyone is different and you know it, so someone's results won't be the same for everyone.

I'll be updating in the 6 months mark on oral, so for right now its doing SOMETHING (shedding) at least.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been doing it, just over a month. Shedding as hell. Diffuse thinner as well. I'd be happy just to get thicker hair, since I'm tired of toppik. I can't tell you if I'm happy with the results yet (obviously) but I will say that I haven't noticed anything new while taking oral minoxidil. I started at 10mg a day and got dark circles, now doing 5mg and its normal.

I'd suggest trying it, checking your blood pressure. If it fucks up your blood pressure, then just stop it. I doubt using 2.5mg-10mg will do anything to your health in the short term and if it does screw up blood pressure just stop. Everyone is different and you know it, so someone's results won't be the same for everyone.

I'll be updating in the 6 months mark on oral, so for right now its doing SOMETHING (shedding) at least.
What about decreased collagen? Just when you look younger thanks to thicker hair you have to look older due to decreased collagen. That's a bullshit exchange

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
What about decreased collagen? Just when you look younger thanks to thicker hair you have to look older due to decreased collagen. That's a bullshit exchange
Looks the same, like I said its just a month. I have photos before I took it and will compare.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But If case with decreasing collagen from minoxidil is true then why almost no-one is getting bleeding gums from it or other collagen dependent side effects, The collagen in gums is replaced every thew weeks-months (because we are chewing which causing small damage to collagen so it is replaced very often). Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen, one of the first sign of vitamin c deficiency is bleeding gums(because it is replaced very often) while skin collagen is replaced very very slowly (years). Also what about other parts in the body where collagen is very important like cartilage, bones, blood vessels?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m guessing because Minoxidil is only applied on the skin, that means only HSF cells (human skin fibroblasts, the cells that produce collagen for our skin and hair) are affected by the anti proliferative effects.

And your statement about collagen taking “years” to “form” is completely false. I’m trying hard to not sound like an arse here. Collagen is constantly in a state of being destroyed and produced. It is not “formed” like you said it is, rather our skin is constantly being inflated with collagen and how much collagen you have is largely dependent on fibroblast cell count. Oxidative stress and inflammation reduce cell count and testosterone and dopamine are things that can increase cell count. Remember that HSF cells are proliferating cells which means they are dying and being replaced very quickly, at a rate of thousands per second. While on minoxidil, cells are proliferating much slower, if not at all, due to reduced thymidine incorporation into the cell, which is required for cells to properly and stably undergo mitosis. Other vasodilators also have this same effect, but because Minoxidil is applied in large doses twice a day, it’s essentially a very large overdose and can have long term effects even after usage is stopped.

I'm agreeing with you mostly. Yea collagen is produced everyday in our skin but it is very slow process unless you have damaged skin (thats why gums produce it more quickly). What I was meant is that half-life of collagen in skin is much longer that collagen in other parts of your body. Yea I agree that fibroblast produce collagen in our skin everyday but in very small amount. You have things like ligaments/vessels/cartilage/bones in which collagen need to be replaced much faster than skin collagen because they are used(damaged) everyday in everyday actions like walking/sports etc. So thats parts of the body should show collagen-deplition side effects in a first place. Just like in scurvy is, in which prolyl and lysyl hydroxylase(that same enzyme that minoxidil is blocking) is blocked. So minoxidil inhibition of collagen is probably imperceptible.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

have you been on topical previously?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
why do you want to add topical finasteride if you are already on oral one? werent you having good response to it?
I think you misread me. I already use Finasteride, on pill forum and had a good response but have been on it for over a year and a half and want more regrowth so I'm on oral Min.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you misread me. I already use Finasteride, on pill forum and had a good response but have been on it for over a year and a half and want more regrowth so I'm on oral Min.
got it, misread the thread initially

no sides after switching to 5mgs oral? can it bought in regular pharmacy without prescription or you have to online order it?

Bawldwin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have really horrible diffuse thinning, especially on the crown. I've been taking 5mg every other day since March (purchasing from Alldaychemist). I started to see some improvement on the crown from around June/July then experienced a pretty brutal shed from around August to the start of October (this coincided with a physical trauma that left me unable to walk for 2 months so it could be related to that, perhaps) but it seems to be recovering again. Overall my hair looks and feels thicker (noticing I don't use as much Toppik anymore which is a useful measure) with even some baby hairs appearing on my hairline. I won't fully judge it until 12-18 months.

Like you I was apprehensive after reading people's experiences and warnings but felt I had to at least try as my hair was getting worse by the day and I was tipping out Toppik on it like you wouldn't believe. I've had no side effects like dark circles, wrinkles etc. and my blood pressure has been normal each time I've been to a GP since starting (most recently yesterday). I might increase to a daily dose. I also take Finasteride once a day and shampoo with Nizoral a couple times a week.

Hope this helps.

Ezekiel2019

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have really horrible diffuse thinning, especially on the crown. I've been taking 5mg every other day since March (purchasing from Alldaychemist). I started to see some improvement on the crown from around June/July then experienced a pretty brutal shed from around August to the start of October (this coincided with a physical trauma that left me unable to walk for 2 months so it could be related to that, perhaps) but it seems to be recovering again. Overall my hair looks and feels thicker (noticing I don't use as much Toppik anymore which is a useful measure) with even some baby hairs appearing on my hairline. I won't fully judge it until 12-18 months.

Like you I was apprehensive after reading people's experiences and warnings but felt I had to at least try as my hair was getting worse by the day and I was tipping out Toppik on it like you wouldn't believe. I've had no side effects like dark circles, wrinkles etc. and my blood pressure has been normal each time I've been to a GP since starting (most recently yesterday). I might increase to a daily dose. I also take Finasteride once a day and shampoo with Nizoral a couple times a week.

Hope this helps.

Seems like a lot of people experience horrible shedding from oral minoxidil, some people don't even get regrow after the shedding

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people experience horrible shedding from oral minoxidil, some people don't even get regrow after the shedding

The first shed on oral minoxidil is pretty brutal, i dreaded washing my hair when i went through it and insane amounts of hair came out during pull tests, i got a second shed about 6 or 7 months in again, bu things seem to have stabilized(for now atleast lol)

Ezekiel2019

My Regimen
Reaction score
The first shed on oral minoxidil is pretty brutal, i dreaded washing my hair when i went through it and insane amounts of hair came out during pull tests, i got a second shed about 6 or 7 months in again, bu things seem to have stabilized(for now atleast lol)
Do you have more hair than when you started?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have more hair than when you started?

I started oral minoxidil last october, dutasteride in november my hair is better than when i started, whether it's down to minoxidil or dutasteride i don't know. I also added topical minoxidil and dermarolling to my regimen. Overall im quite content with my current hair status, when dry and some careful combing i can pull off being a full head, i just cant get it wet or it turns in to a mess.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How is it going now?

I just started 2.5mg a day 1 month ago

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Whats a brutal shed? In the shower roughly how many hairs? What was your usual hair fall in the shower pre shed?

I am 1 month un 2.5mg a day and am very nervous about when the shed will come as i keep reading that it can be pretty bad.