Should I put green tea extract in my shampoo?

CCS

Reaction score
I hope it does hot have too much flouride in it though.

I'd really like some pure spironolactone powder to put in my shampoo, but getting it pure is not easy. I don't like to shampoo daily, so two shampoos is not a good option. And I'm worried the filler will bind with the keto if I put the pills in my nizoral shampoo. I don't want to use a lot of topicals, or pay a lot. I'm sure spironolactone shampoo is not as effective as a spironolactone topical, but the goal is to get it to my entire scalp, to slow down side thinning a bit. It only last 10 hours, I heard, though.

Anyway, EGCG is an androgen receptor blocker at least on hampsters, and is very cheap. I just don't know how stable it is, if it is absorbed by human scalp, or if there is too much flouride in it. But it is pretty pure. I could mix it in pg and put it in my shampoo.

I'm on finasteride, and will get serious with liquid minoxidil soon, but I'd like the kick of a topical androgen receptor blocker without complicating my regimen.

CCS

Reaction score
And what are the long term effects of topicals? Drinking alcohol is bad for you. Why would not using alcohol as a penetration enhancer on your skin 2x a day for many years be bad for your skin?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
No

Hoppi

Reaction score
To be honest man in my experience... green tea seems to be able to single-handedly CAUSE male pattern baldness by lifting androgens. I loathe the stuff lol

Eucapil is probably the best.

Eucapil + finasteride + spironolactone/minoxidil = male pattern baldness death.

hehe :)

Keto is also helpful but it harms my best friend the liver :( lol (as does minoxidil a bit probably come to think of it...)

CCS

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
To be honest man in my experience... green tea seems to be able to single-handedly CAUSE male pattern baldness by lifting androgens. I loathe the stuff lol

Eucapil is probably the best.

Eucapil + finasteride + spironolactone/minoxidil = male pattern baldness death.

hehe :)

Keto is also helpful but it harms my best friend the liver :( lol (as does minoxidil a bit probably come to think of it...)
Hmmm... I think in a high DHT environment, EGCG would help. But maybe in a finasteride + EGCG environment, the finasteride has already eliminated the DHT, so the main effect of the EGCG is to block some androgen receptors while simultaneously freeing more testosterone.

A good topical anti-oxidant is Piroctone Olamine, available in some shampoos.

So spironolactone cream is $30 for 60 grams, which just covers some thinning areas, but not the whole scalp.

DoctorHouse said:
No what?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS you have been banging on about Green Tea topical for YEARS Man!

Are you ever going to actually go through with it???

Hoppi

Reaction score
blaze said:
CCS you have been banging on about Green Tea topical for YEARS Man!

Are you ever going to actually go through with it???

hehe I was thinking that too! :)

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:

Which androgens?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Maelstrom said:
Hoppi said:

Which androgens?

To be honest, I really don't know. I've just seen 2 cases of young heavy green tea drinkers with severe male pattern baldness. When I advised one to stop, his male pattern baldness stopped very shortly afterwards. A study also claims a huge DHT increase after green tea. It's all more than enough evidence for me, but yeah, opinion is divided on this one :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
To be honest, I really don't know. I've just seen 2 cases of young heavy green tea drinkers with severe male pattern baldness. When I advised one to stop, his male pattern baldness stopped very shortly afterwards.

Oh really? What exactly do you mean by "very shortly afterwards"? A few hours? A few months? A few years? :puke:

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hoppi said:
To be honest, I really don't know. I've just seen 2 cases of young heavy green tea drinkers with severe male pattern baldness. When I advised one to stop, his male pattern baldness stopped very shortly afterwards.

Oh really? What exactly do you mean by "very shortly afterwards"? A few hours? A few months? A few years? :puke:

A few days to a week, I believe :)

CCS

Reaction score
How do you know their male pattern baldness stopped? Did their hair grow back?

And do you know the mechanism by which the DHT levels rise? Topically may have a different effect.

I have an idea! I should use green tea on my face and see if it dries up any oil glands. No risk of hair loss that way. If it ups DHT like you say, shouldn't I get acne? Has anyone used any EGCG topicals? I know of one guy who used green tea and DMSO on his face to successfully treat his rosacea.

Didn't MB do some sebum tests with EGCG? Or was it regular green tea he tested? EGCG is super cheap and easy to get. It would just be so nice if it worked like spironolactone. RU can be bought pure, but it costs $$$. It is 10x the price of the cheapest spironolactone pills, but at least it has no filler, and should be much stronger.

Hoppi

Reaction score
CCS said:
How do you know their male pattern baldness stopped? Did their hair grow back?

And do you know the mechanism by which the DHT levels rise? Topically may have a different effect.

I have an idea! I should use green tea on my face and see if it dries up any oil glands. No risk of hair loss that way. If it ups DHT like you say, shouldn't I get acne? Has anyone used any EGCG topicals? I know of one guy who used green tea and DMSO on his face to successfully treat his rosacea.

Didn't MB do some sebum tests with EGCG? Or was it regular green tea he tested? EGCG is super cheap and easy to get. It would just be so nice if it worked like spironolactone. RU can be bought pure, but it costs $$$. It is 10x the price of the cheapest spironolactone pills, but at least it has no filler, and should be much stronger.

I wish I could say man - it's all observational evidence (and that one study). Dude, the guy locally who drunk it had quite vicious looking male pattern baldness and body hair like a f***ing BEAR! rofl

Believe it or not I am in fact drinking CAMOMILE tea, as it's supposed to help remove gallstones and probably bile cholesterol :)

Sebastien

Established Member
Reaction score
I drink white tea since i read that study, but the study was highly discutable though, white tea i supposedly better anyway so yeah...

helpwithhair

Reaction score
WTF

I have lived in Japan for 5 years and they drink a heck of a lot of green tea and they lose their hair a lot later than everyone else.

Green tea helps not hurts in the battle against baldness.

Hoppi

Reaction score
helpwithhair said:
WTF

I have lived in Japan for 5 years and they drink a heck of a lot of green tea and they lose their hair a lot later than everyone else.

Green tea helps not hurts in the battle against baldness.

In the study in question the DHT increase was reversed when green tea was combined with soy... I've often wondered about the implications of that suggestion.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use to take green tea extract believing it could help with hairloss. I stopped after reading some scary stuff on this forum. I didnt see any improvement or worsening of my hairloss and i took it for two months. I guess the jury's still out on whethern we should use green tea in our regimen or not.