should i get a hairpiece?

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
i have given finasteride 4 years and minoxidil 2-3 years. i have seen no regrowth, but a slowing of hairloss. in any case, my hair is really bad now, i'm a Norwood 3-4.

I have a girlfriend and we will be marrying next year. she doesn't really know about my hairloss because up until now i've covered it well. But over the last 3 months (she hasn't seen me for 3 months because its a long distance relationship), my hairloss has accelerated dramatically. perhaps due to the fact that i stopped the drugs. Whatever the case, my hairloss situation is bad.

I am SERIOUSLY considering a hairpiece. i live in texas though, and dont know if there are good hairpiece salons here. i was thinking of flying to california to Farrell. I want something that is absolutely undetectable even to my g/f. it should feel like normal hair and she should be able to run her hands through it with detecting anything. if i get in a fight with some guy, and he pulls my hair, it shouldn't come out. it should be easy to mantain, and last as long as possible without having to remove it. Can i sleep in a hairpiece? what happens to the sweat that gets trapped under the hairpiece? is it uncomfortable? do people notice? if i get farrell, should i get minimal or FNT? how long will it last, and most importantly, CAN I GO TO HCM TO HAVE MY FARRELL PIECE SERVICED?

HairLossTalk.com: i would put this in the hairpiece section, but it doesn't seem to get the responses. that seems like a dead thread.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
She will find out, and it will either be 1, during an intimate moment, or 2, when you tell her. You have to be honest with her, mate. Just don't be ashamed of who you are, confidence is more important then hair.

unknown

Reaction score
what flux said is very true just tell her, the truth shall set you free. she will just accept you the way you are and you will be happy knowing that she loves you, or she will call you baldy and dump you. either way you will be free :)

i don't hide my hair loss problem, when i run into someone i know i just tell them the truth that my hair is falling out and i don't know what's causing it. if they laugh then so be it, it if not then cool.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
Receding boy

have you tried all the possible topicals. spironolactone is a must for me anyways, I needed spironolactone to up the octane, folligen too, that with the propecia and nizoral, my hair IS starting to overcompensate. I say first try spironolactone for a few months, it's solid stuff in my opinion.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
RecedingBoy said:
I want something that is absolutely undetectable even to my g/f. it should feel like normal hair and she should be able to run her hands through it with detecting anything. if i get in a fight with some guy, and he pulls my hair, it shouldn't come out.
If you are worried about these things, you aren't old enough for a hairpiece....

jerry grant

FKnight

Reaction score
RecedingBoy, great for you, that u are going to marry.
Don't worry about your hairloss. Just try to ignore it. The more we pay atention to our hair the worst it looks.
I wish u best luck with your wife :rockon:

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey- don't listen to Grantspots-

he says you're not old enough for a hairpiece, but that's just because he's expired, over the hill and waaaaaaaaay too old to worry about these things- be glad you're not in your 40s like he is, still contemplating his life and his hair and in the middle of a mid-life crisis! . You're young, and by all means, have every right to worry wbout your loss of hair, dammit!!!

If your future wife makes a problem out of your hair loss, then you know she's not worthy of wife material- look at it in your shoes- would you not consider her if she was losing her hair? No, because you're a real man. And if she doesn't care about your hairloss, then she's a good catch.

And getting into a fight- dude, what does that really have to do with a hairpecie? That's a bit rediculous, and you know it!!!! Just buy it if you feel you want to :roll:

So anyhow, don't take advice from old men on this forum, they have no way to relate with today's guys who are half their age - they were born in the 50s or 60s, we were born in the 70s and 80s - grantspots kind of reminds me of one of those older guys you see at a bar, totally out of place, who's losing his hair and you wonder what the hell an old guy like this is doing partying with us???? hahahahahaha :roll:

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
RecedingBoy said:
I want something that is absolutely undetectable even to my g/f. it should feel like normal hair and she should be able to run her hands through it with detecting anything. if i get in a fight with some guy, and he pulls my hair, it shouldn't come out. it should be easy to mantain, and last as long as possible without having to remove it..

Believe it or not, there is something exactly like what you just described. It's called real human hair. You know, the kind that actually grows from your head? The only downside is you have to go to the barber every once in a while to get it cut.

Seriously though, you have unrealistic exectations. Do you honestly think that if there were a hairpiece like the one you just described, that there would be so many people bitching and moaning about pieces? Order a piece from coolpiece or toplace or just accept your hairloss and move on with your life. That is the best advice you will get.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it, you are probably better off getting an hair transplant. Since your loss is entirely in the front, you are a good candidate for an hair transplant. It doesn't sound like you will ever lose the hair in the back. I would go for it if I were in your position. But it is a gamble, I'll admit that. Say you are destined to lose all your hair. Would you want to shave your head? If not, then go get an hair transplant now. That's my advice.

funkster

Reaction score
Rawbbie said:

he says you're not old enough for a hairpiece, but that's just because he's expired, over the hill and waaaaaaaaay too old to worry about these things- be glad you're not in your 40s like he is, still contemplating his life and his hair and in the middle of a mid-life crisis! . You're young, and by all means, have every right to worry wbout your loss of hair, dammit!!!

So anyhow, don't take advice from old men on this forum, they have no way to relate with today's guys who are half their age - they were born in the 50s or 60s, we were born in the 70s and 80s - grantspots kind of reminds me of one of those older guys you see at a bar, totally out of place, who's losing his hair and you wonder what the hell an old guy like this is doing partying with us???? hahahahahaha :roll:

rawbbie - were you drunk when you wrote this? I hope so, because otherwise you wrote it out of pure malice which is one damn ugly trait in somebody's character :cry:

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawbbie said:

So anyhow, don't take advice from old men on this forum, they have no way to relate with today's guys who are half their age - they were born in the 50s or 60s, we were born in the 70s and 80s - grantspots kind of reminds me of one of those older guys you see at a bar, totally out of place, who's losing his hair and you wonder what the hell an old guy like this is doing partying with us???? hahahahahaha

Rawbbie WTF? We have one difference of opinion and you resort to this? I'd wish you luck with the fight against hairloss but it seems pointless as it's apparent you need help with the much bigger issues looming just below the surface.

Are you a racist and a homophobe too?

jerry grant

bombscience

Reaction score
Rawbbie said:

Ah I only have 25 years on my life, but I know that the people I should be listening most intently to on this forum ARE the older men. Life experience is wisdom my friend. Some things we may not relate entirely on with the 40+ crowd, but i'm sure they have a lot of really good advice on how to live your life with hairloss. So chill out and really think before you post. The way you act does nothing to promote anything positive on these forums.

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
Receding boy

are you experiencing an unusual amount of stress lately, perhaps try meditating or taking time each day to breath deeply. Also, I said before that i did not experience any thickening until I added spironolactone, (revivogen did not help me too much). Stick with the treatments friend untill you have exhausted all the legitimate ones. Hair piece=last resort.

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, she already knows =P At least imo.

If she doesnt, dude, your getting married. This women loves you with all her heart, she plans to spend the rest of her life with you, I dont think shell mind your hair to much =P

Give spironolactone and minoxidil a go if your really freaking about it.

KRAMER

Reaction score
Don't do the rug man. I hate those damn things. I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life worrying the wind was going to blow it off, or if I was in the heat of the moment and some girl pulled it off my head. That is no way to live.

If you are that concerned, get back on the meds, and consult a hair transplant doctor. Sure it is expensive, but so is buying a rug and having "maintenance" done very month.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I wouldn't marry a bish if she was losing her hair ... 8O

But seriously, why did you quit the finasteride.? Perhaps you can try dutasteride. (Avodart). Exhaust all other options before going with the rug. I'd consider shaving my head more seriously before I'd consider wearing a raccoon on my head.

D.

G

Rawbbie said:

If your future wife makes a problem out of your hair loss, then you know she's not worthy of wife material- look at it in your shoes- would you not consider her if she was losing her hair? No, because you're a real man. And if she doesn't care about your hairloss, then she's a good catch.

And getting into a fight- dude, what does that really have to do with a hairpecie? That's a bit rediculous, and you know it!!!! Just buy it if you feel you want to :roll:

Such a considerate and appropriate post. You will get a lot of support and help from the folks on this forum.

Thanks for sharing! :moon: