Should finasteride be legal?

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
No the drug doesn't need to be banned. I am sorry that unfortunately you have gotten sides from finasteride, but why should it be banned when it is helping so many others? Getting gyno is horrible, but it doesn't happen to most people that use it. I know that doesn't matter to you because you were one of the unlucky few.

True man.
It would be totally unfair to ban it just because a few people have issues with it. For the rest of us its working great and now you want to take it away from me just because you have issues! That's cool man. If it doesn't work for you, dont take it! But don't try stop me, I can do what ever the hell I want!!

- - - Updated - - -

I had Burger King the other day and it made me feel sick! Ban Burger King!!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Who knows how many people Burger King's food has killed? I guess as long as their food isn't causing ED, then everything is ok.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience with finasteride. Were you aware of the (low) risks before you made an informed decision to start it?
finasteride for hairloss needs to be banned right now!!
it should also be less prescribed for prostate cancer, especially in youg people

this drug ruined my whole life

- - - Updated - - -

anti depressants and anxiety drugs are far more benign than propecia!! don't compare it!

Anti depressants don't promote:
- demyelination
- bone loss
- penile shrinkage

just to name a few

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when I comment that finasteride actually increased my sex drive by about 15% (which it did) all these anti propecia loons come out and call me a Merck paid shill? they just cannot believe it is true. It gave me ball ache, increased sex drive, and nothing else.
I once took 25mg at once to see what would happen (I think I posted about it on here or HLH) - nothing happened

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The mechanism of the side effects has to be found out. The fact is that finasteride causes sexual side effects and when you've had problems in that part they can leave in a problem in your psyche without persistently changing anything else. Why after all men on the drug get sexual side effects? Is it the rise in estradiol? I feel this is the most likely cause, but I think they have excluded this in studies unfortunately (but is at least gynecomastia related to it?). Is it lack of NO in the penis? Is it something simple and molecular which will just shift back in place? Or do bigger changes take place, like penile tissue alterations? Is it only loss of libido due to altered neurosteroids? I can't believe they didn't start to study the men with side effects in the clinical trials right away to find out the cause. If it was of reversible origin, we could easily and peacefully turn down all the mass hysteria. Today, based on interviewing and observation, finasteride just causes these side effects and that's it.
PFS can be luckily wrote out as "post finasteride stress" and I think that's where we're moving towards. The only thing all these mens have in common is their history of taking finasteride. Everybody claims different symptoms in propeciahelp.com. And every one of the symptoms can actually be solved with modern medicine. You just have trust doctors and take your testosterone replacement therapy for a long time as it's designated. You have to go to a psychotherapist, take antidepressants and be willing to stop visiting that miserable forum. We have psychiatrist, we have urologists, we have endocrinologists, neurologists all ready to solve these symptoms one by one. Even if it really causes demyelination -- then just quit and wait for remyelination while eating healthy. There's much evidence to say that even the penis can grow itself back after shrinking, if you abolish the cause. I don't know what to say about bone loss. You can't turn back aging.

I really want to know how all the 250 lawsuits resolve. The only arguments are that some guy Bosley was worried in 97, in a study out of 111 men 1 man who quit because of sexual side effects didn't get resolution to it and that the drug leaflet now states it itself (http://imgur.com/njSwO90).

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Problem is the credibility of some of these so called PFS "victims" is seriously in question. Their hormone tests come back normal or they had pre existing issues with their physical and mental health. Not to mention placebo effects. I do believe temporary sides exist as per the literature, but it's reversible. There are risks no doubt as 5AR is an enzyme not just converting testosterone to DHT but other things.

I mean one guy on that joke website said he basically had Alzeimer's from one pill. Hmm yet he is using the internet fine with no issue! Also clearly he is not from a medical background since he said Alzeimer's and not apparent dementia.

There are far worse medications out there.

All this OTT scare mongering about finasteride just shows what happens when an already insecure balding young person encounters temporary sides - the power of the nets helps spread this rubbish.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Because you don't take Allegra to treat a cosmetical issue. You get obvious relief from it and don't care more. There has to be something psychologically wrong with you already to care so much about your hairloss to start treating it. People with hairloss problems are prone to more problems. Also, if you look at the thread where propeciahelp.com people post photos, you can see that they don't even have hairloss. They were able to create that with their imagination. Plus, we're talking about sexual dysfunction, a potentially psychogenic illness. If sexual side effects would be listed first on Allegra's leaflet, then we probably would have a forum, but it has a lot more severe and acute side effects listed before it you have to worry about.
Isotretinoin doesn't cause inflammatory bowel disease, but the court made the drug company still pay compensation for it, if the patient got it.

JTS

Banned
Reaction score
I'm currently suffering from a finasteride induced condition (not PFS though) but I think it should be legal. That said, I also think heroin should be legal. The thing is that it should be recommend against by dermatologists and should require prior testing so that we can eventually establish a profile of who is predisposed to sides.

**** that pill though, I would rather have taken heroin.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when I comment that finasteride actually increased my sex drive by about 15% (which it did) all these anti propecia loons come out and call me a Merck paid shill? they just cannot believe it is true. It gave me ball ache, increased sex drive, and nothing else.
I once took 25mg at once to see what would happen (I think I posted about it on here or HLH) - nothing happened

This makes sense too, since inhibiting 5AR means less testosterone will be converted to DHT, resulting in an increase in free T. It really isn't all that uncommon to hear of people experiencing increased libido from the increase in free testosterone.

Who knows how many people Burger King's food has killed? I guess as long as their food isn't causing ED, then everything is ok.

LOL repped!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
This makes sense too, since inhibiting 5AR means less testosterone will be converted to DHT, resulting in an increase in free T. It really isn't all that uncommon to hear of people experiencing increased libido from the increase in free testosterone.

finasteride made me an absolute horndog, popping v**** boners. Also gave me more energy and better pumps in the gym. I think if I tried dutasteride I could take up my lifelong dream of running through brick walls for charity.

JTS

Banned
Reaction score
The mechanism of the side effects has to be found out. The fact is that finasteride causes sexual side effects and when you've had problems in that part they can leave in a problem in your psyche without persistently changing anything else. Why after all men on the drug get sexual side effects? Is it the rise in estradiol? I feel this is the most likely cause, but I think they have excluded this in studies unfortunately (but is at least gynecomastia related to it?). Is it lack of NO in the penis? Is it something simple and molecular which will just shift back in place? Or do bigger changes take place, like penile tissue alterations? Is it only loss of libido due to altered neurosteroids? I can't believe they didn't start to study the men with side effects in the clinical trials right away to find out the cause. If it was of reversible origin, we could easily and peacefully turn down all the mass hysteria. Today, based on interviewing and observation, finasteride just causes these side effects and that's it.
PFS can be luckily wrote out as "post finasteride stress" and I think that's where we're moving towards. The only thing all these mens have in common is their history of taking finasteride. Everybody claims different symptoms in propeciahelp.com. And every one of the symptoms can actually be solved with modern medicine. You just have trust doctors and take your testosterone replacement therapy for a long time as it's designated. You have to go to a psychotherapist, take antidepressants and be willing to stop visiting that miserable forum. We have psychiatrist, we have urologists, we have endocrinologists, neurologists all ready to solve these symptoms one by one. Even if it really causes demyelination -- then just quit and wait for remyelination while eating healthy. There's much evidence to say that even the penis can grow itself back after shrinking, if you abolish the cause. I don't know what to say about bone loss. You can't turn back aging.

I really want to know how all the 250 lawsuits resolve. The only arguments are that some guy Bosley was worried in 97, in a study out of 111 men 1 man who quit because of sexual side effects didn't get resolution to it and that the drug leaflet now states it itself (http://imgur.com/njSwO90).

The thing about hormones is that rapid drops in them can induce all kinds of ****ry in people predisposed to it. I've been readin propeciahelp recently and in many cases their history with the drug, while pertinent, is often somewhat of a red herring for reversible issues caused by the it. Then they think that they have full blown PFS, don't get the appropriate treatment and lose all hope until it hopefully resolves itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I deal with wiggy T and a couple other sides still after quitting finasteride over a year ago.
I personally think it should still be legal.
Every medication has to be monitored when taken though. I wish I knew enough to get my T levels checked prior then during as well.
I work out and like certain suppliments and fat burners. I personally like DMAA yet some think it should be illegal.
Personally you take responsibility for yourself when you take certain things.

I would like to see more studies and tests done on what causes PFS and have a pre test created to let you know what sides you might expect.

Can you feel when your test is low? Testosterone fluctuates for a variety of reasons. Also what other sides so you still suffer from? I seem to remember you mentioning abdominal pain and painful urination.

PleasedontuseSP

Reaction score
No

taking 5ar inhibitors for hair is ridiculous. Playing with fire.

I thought those PFS guys were loonies. I even took saw palmetto instead
And i still got full blown PFS. ive been suffering for 4 years now

SonfofOdin

Reaction score
finasteride made me an absolute horndog, popping v**** boners. Also gave me more energy and better pumps in the gym. I think if I tried dutasteride I could take up my lifelong dream of running through brick walls for charity.

This was me for the first 2-3 months. I'd get boners just by looking at clothed girls in uni and made some of the best gains ever in the gym. My motivation was sky high and I overall felt more alpha and in control. I even quit my chit job after finally seeing the light and realizing I could do better. But... then I went back to normal. Are you still the same? What are you doing lifestyle wise? I'm addicted to the feeling and want to get this back somehow. I supplement with zinc and sleep 8-9 hours a day, lift heavy, but its not enough.

Anyway just so I contribute to the thread. I'm obviously going to say to keep it legal. Erections are mostly psychological. Sometimes I feel like finasteride has affected mine but, I never had strong boners anyway other than middle school and high school...and those 2-3 months right after taking finasteride at age 24 xD