SHOCK FALLOUT QUESTIONS FOR THE PROS.....

Reaction score
thomas, did they all fall out at oncem or was it gradual? It would be ok if they gradually fall out and others grow in at the same time. Im on day 15 now with no fall out..

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
brucergoldberg said:
thomas, did they all fall out at oncem or was it gradual? It would be ok if they gradually fall out and others grow in at the same time. Im on day 15 now with no fall out..

I don't know about others, but all mine fell out within 3 days.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Concerning shock fallout, its kind of the same as everything else - everyone is different. Usually, it comes on pretty quick, though. It helps to perpetuate the "post-op depression" that so many guys experience. Use of Minoxidil, Finasteride (or Dutasteride), MSM, and proper diet can soften the blow and even help to maintain some or most of it.

Reaction score
Im wondering- im on day 15 now - i had my surgery 2 weeks and 1 day ago. No fall out. The hair is growing really fast too. Am i in for a rude awakeing in the next couple days or did i just get lucky?

Jotronic

Reaction score
shockloss

Remember, there are two types of shock. Temporary and permanent and so far only temporary has been covered. Permanent shock is caused by transection of peripheral hair during incision placement but it can also occur during extraction.

When incisions are made it is imperative for the angle of the incision to be parallel with the growth of the native hair. If not, the blade/needle will cross over and cause transection.

G

Jotronic,

Shockloss and transection are two different issues altogethor although I do agree with your comments regarding the following of the angulation of natural hair and terminal hair from previous hair transplant procedures when the recipient site are made.

For the most part, shockloss is the result of trauma to the scalp from the recipient incisions that are made. The extent of it can never be predicted precisely but there are measures like the ones Social mentioned to help retard the effects of it.

Reaction score
ok i lost. I had my shed today. It was coming out like crazy. They looked like all the hairs from my graft are falling out. Now what?

adob

Reaction score
may be useful as a guide.....

TIME POST-OP
TRANSPLANTED AREA
DONOR SUTURED AREA

Next Day Hair is washed thoroughly. Grafts should be clean of blood. Some soreness, tightness and numbness.
2-3 Days Scabbing is largely gone. Moderate redness may be present. Some swelling may appear on forehead. Soreness begins to disappear. Some numbness may continue.
1 Week Redness is minimal to absent. Swelling is usually gone. 1st Post-op Visit. Soreness is generally gone. Occasionally some numbness persists.
2 Weeks Looks and feels like a 4-day-old beard. Sutures begin to absorb. Discomfort is gone. Numbness is uncommon.
2-8 Weeks Transplanted hair is shed as the follicles enter a dormant phase. Knots at the ends of the absorbable sutures fall off.
2-4 Months Some original hair may be shed in the transplanted area. Any residual numbness in the donor area is generally gone.
3-6 Months Transplanted hair begins to grow first as very fine hair.
5-10 Months Some or all of the original hair that was shed begins to grow.
8 Months Hair is groomable, but transplant appears thin as hair continues to grow and thicken. Slight textural change in hair is occasionally present.
8-12 Months Patient is evaluated for a possible second procedure.
1 Year 90% of the final appearance of procedure is usually present.
1-2 Years There may be additional fullness during the second year. Any textural change in hair usually returns to normal.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. adob. My shockloss from original hairs was light but it happened, mainly in those areas of denser packing. Good to hear, once again, that they will probably come back.

Reaction score
thank you so much for your post. That makes me feel more comfortable (and anxious....) I guess i am following that plan pretty close to schedule.

bruce

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
adob said:
may be useful as a guide.....

TIME POST-OP
TRANSPLANTED AREA
DONOR SUTURED AREA

Next Day Hair is washed thoroughly. Grafts should be clean of blood. Some soreness, tightness and numbness.
2-3 Days Scabbing is largely gone. Moderate redness may be present. Some swelling may appear on forehead. Soreness begins to disappear. Some numbness may continue.
1 Week Redness is minimal to absent. Swelling is usually gone. 1st Post-op Visit. Soreness is generally gone. Occasionally some numbness persists.
2 Weeks Looks and feels like a 4-day-old beard. Sutures begin to absorb. Discomfort is gone. Numbness is uncommon.
2-8 Weeks Transplanted hair is shed as the follicles enter a dormant phase. Knots at the ends of the absorbable sutures fall off.
2-4 Months Some original hair may be shed in the transplanted area. Any residual numbness in the donor area is generally gone.
3-6 Months Transplanted hair begins to grow first as very fine hair.
5-10 Months Some or all of the original hair that was shed begins to grow.
8 Months Hair is groomable, but transplant appears thin as hair continues to grow and thicken. Slight textural change in hair is occasionally present.
8-12 Months Patient is evaluated for a possible second procedure.
1 Year 90% of the final appearance of procedure is usually present.
1-2 Years There may be additional fullness during the second year. Any textural change in hair usually returns to normal.

Urgh! I wish my transplanted hair would grow in thin, mine always grows in thick and kinky, which sucks because the rest of my hair is completely straight. However, within a year is does start to grow normally.

adob

Reaction score
I have the kink thing too. My original hair was curly/kinky in the front , which is wierd because it is straight everywhere else. The first 2 procedures (2600 Fu's total) never did change from the original kinkiness, it's been 2 years from #2, I suspect #3 will be similar. My hair lady showed me how to make it straight in 32 seconds, so not a big deal with a good hairdryer and small round brush. I have to echo what I read in here previously... What a great problem to have and be concerned with... before the 1st hair transplant, I would have given the left testicle to have this problem.... Luckily for me, neither hair transplant cost taht much :D

G

I have asked several hair transplant doctors over the years as to why the new terminal hair may grow in with a "kinky" characteristic and most have said it is a phenomenon that is not understood.

Dr. Paul Rose provided me the response that makes the most sense to me. When a transplanted follicule enters the dormant telogen phase post-op, the follicule then enters the catagen phase (shedding) and disengages the hair sheath. The next phase is the anagen (growth) phase and the dermal papilla begins to produce another hair. As the new terminal hair grows it must penetrate both the dermis and epidermis layers which can somewhat kink the hair along the way until it finally penetrates above the scalpline. As it achieves length, the result can be a kinky texture until enough growth and caliper to the hair cylinders mature. In other words the hair cylinder may experience some kinks to it as it makes its way through the scalp.

In most cases like Thomas, the hairs eventually straighten out as they have a path established through the scalp tissue once they grow out. If the patient already had a "curly" or "kinky" charateristic to their natural hair, the transplanted terminal hair will grow in with similiar characteristics as before. The difference I have noticed then is that they typically have more pimple appearing spots when the new hair grows in and/or more ingrown hairs as they make their way through the scalp surface.