SHOCK FALLOUT QUESTIONS FOR THE PROS.....

DAND20042000

Reaction score
Is it true, the more grafts you get in a session the high the chance of shock fall-out???? I have been hearing some horror stories about people losing most of their original hair...

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I think shock loss in the recipient area is more a function of the density of the grafting rather than the total number of grafts per se.

G

Dand20042000,

What Asolof stated is true. The more incisions that are created within a defined recipient area, the more potential for shock loss. It is indeed the "trauma" to the scalp caused by the incisions and the neighboring hair follicules behave defensively and enter the catagen (shedding) and telogen (resting) phases. The average time period in telogen is approximately three months and then those follicules will cycle back to the anagen (growth) phase and produce new hairs. The hair from the transplanted follicules should also be growing in the three to four month period as they also typically enter the telogen phase post-op.

A word of caution. Those patients that have "diffused" thinning need to be extra careful. Generally speaking, the more natural hair one has in the recipient area, the higher risk of shock loss. And if it is diffused hair, the risk can run even higher. Very weak or vellus hairs typically do not come back. The stronger fatter natural hairs do. I mean we are destined to lose the hair that is being disseminated by DHT however most of us want to keep them as long as we can. There are some who go in and get as much restoration done as safely as possible. Then they go back to finish their restoration with subsequent procedures. That can be understood for folks who are near the point with little to no natural hair left. If you do have diffused thinning, do not let anyone talk you into doing large sessions or what's commonly known as "megasessions". Best wishes to you. :)

GeminiX

Reaction score
I spoke with two surgeons recently regarding this, and both of which stated that they had never had experience with shock loss, though neither denied it's existence.

Would ~1500 grafts in a single session be considered as a "megagraft"?

Darren

G

GeminiX,

My premonition is that both doctors are being less than honest with you concerning their denial of shockloss in their patients. EVERY hair transplant patient experiences "some" level of shockloss post-op, some more than others. Again this will depend on how many recipient incisions are made within a confined surface area. To answer your question if 1500 grafts would be considered a mega-session, generally speaking no, unless those grafts are too densely packed in proximity to each other.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
I always have to deal with shock fall-out after an hair transplant. Usually happens 6 days post op and lasts about 3 days. I lose anywhere between 500-1,000 hairs in those 3 days of my non hair transplant natural hairs and even some transplanted hairs from past hair transplants . As far as I know most of it grows back. The worst case scenario was about a week after my second procedure where I woke up with about 500 hairs on my pillow, good thing the shock fall-out quickly deminished.

G

The average shockloss post-op is approximately 10 - 15% of the neighboring hair in the recipient area. Patient experiences with this could be charted on a bell curve so some get it more dramatically, others hardly notice it. As mentioned before, the more diffused existing hair there is in the recipient area, the more potential for shock loss. The more recipient incisions created within a defined surface area, the more trauma to the scalp. Thank goodness terminal hair does not shock out like diffused hair!

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I was pretty much like Gill said. My doctor said they'll come back. He said the one's that won't come back were probably small vellus hairs that I didn't notice in the first place.

I did have some fairly dense packing in the frontal area, just behind the hairline and there was some shockloss. It scared me at first until my doctor and veterans told me not to worry.

I'm starting to feel alot of fuzzy hairs on top in those areas of shockloss. Hopefully it's the transplants growing too!!

G

Oldbaldy,

My guess is that the new growth you are seeing is indeed new terminal hair from your transplant. Just wait until full maturation takes place. I suppose we will be calling you "younghairy" then! Best wishes on the new growth and keep us in the loop. :lol:

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
Dand20042000,

A word of caution. Those patients that have "diffused" thinning need to be extra careful. Generally speaking, the more natural hair one has in the recipient area, the higher risk of shock loss. And if it is diffused hair, the risk can run even higher. Very weak or vellus hairs typically do not come back. The stronger fatter natural hairs do. I mean we are destined to lose the hair that is being disseminated by DHT however most of us want to keep them as long as we can. There are some who go in and get as much restoration done as safely as possible. Then they go back to finish their restoration with subsequent procedures. That can be understood for folks who are near the point with little to no natural hair left. If you do have diffused thinning, do not let anyone talk you into doing large sessions or what's commonly known as "megasessions". Best wishes to you. :)
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "diffused" thinning or "diffused" hair? I've seen it mentioned a number of times on this board but I still don't think I really understand it totally. :oops:

dbaser

Reaction score
I think 'diffuse' just means it is gradually thinning throught the entire scalp, not just in certain spots. It's more like female pattern baldness, than male.

On the subject of shock fallout:

I had an hair transplant of about 700 grafts a few years ago. Wasn't prepared for the shock fallout, and did not gain a portion of my natural hair back since my hair is naturally thin, diffuse & weak. Question: if I got surgery again, would the transplanted hair from several years ago also experience "shock" and be lost temporarily? Would it be lost forever? I would probably get another procedure if it didn't mean I'd have to endure the shockloss phase again. It can be somewhat traumatic.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I've read doctors state that the hair transplant hair shockloss would be temporary. Only natural hairs are vulnerable according to what I've read.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
I've read doctors state that the hair transplant hair shockloss would be temporary. Only natural hairs are vulnerable according to what I've read.

If you beef up a transplanted area with another transplant years later, the old transplanted hairs can also suffer from shock fallout, however these ones will grow back.

G

Diffused thinning implies two things. First, the ill effects of DHT are disseminating the hair follicule causing it to shrink in size. The result is "finer" or "weaker" caliper to the hair cylinder. Eventually the cylinders get so "skinny" that less coverage is obtained on the scalp and more light begins to reflect off the scalp, resulting in a thinning look and eventually those hairs turn into vellus hairs. Second, the cycling of the hair follicule becomes weaker and weaker due to DHT and so as the hairs come back to anagen phase (growth) they eventually do not grow as long and are eventually lost as the follicule shuts down. The diffused hair can eventually start looking like "peachfuzz".

Now what Thomas stated is true, terminal hair from prior transplants can shock-out from subsequent procedures, but not as likely as natural hair, and yes the terminal hair will grow back. Otherwise every transplant we would undergo would inevitably make us balder.

G

Bruce,

You're still too early to tell. How many grafts did you have done and are you a diffused thinner? Wish you the best in your recovery and future growth! :)

adob

Reaction score
I'm with Bruce... 15 days post-op on a 2459 FU procedure, I have some thinning (I think) but wonder if the worst is over or yet to come.
This was my third procedure... Between the first (1400 in 2001) and second (1200 in 2002), there was a little, but no major loss and certainly no one else could tell.

I know this was probably denser than the other two, even though there was more to cover. Hopefull it will not cause my first two to dissapear temporarily... that would be really bad...

Reaction score
I had 2000 grafts, i dont know what kind of thinner i am. How can i tell?

The only thing i notice besides growth is a real dryness around some of the bases of each graft. SO it went from scab, to no scab to a little dryness and its really itchy. But nothing has fallen out yet and im on day 13. TOmorrow will be 2 weeks since the procedure.

bruce

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
brucergoldberg said:
I had 2000 grafts, i dont know what kind of thinner i am. How can i tell?

The only thing i notice besides growth is a real dryness around some of the bases of each graft. SO it went from scab, to no scab to a little dryness and its really itchy. But nothing has fallen out yet and im on day 13. TOmorrow will be 2 weeks since the procedure.

bruce

Hey Bruce.. In my experience, the 3rd week is usually when the hair transplant hairs fall out, but you could be a one of those lucky ones and have very little of them fall out. Just note that If they do start falling out, that they will (most likely) grow back. I am on my 7th week, at least 90% of my new hair transplant hairs had fallen out and about 40% of those are starting to grow back already.