Shedding tiny hairs

Format

Reaction score
I've been on proscar for about 3 weeks now, and have been using revita for a month and a bit. I'm noticing that im shedding a lot of tiny, eye-lash size hairs. Is this a really bad sign? They have full colour and thickness, they're just really small. I'm hoping something has "reset the clocks" on my head and started new growth regardless of the hair being new or not. I somehow doubt that though...

Any thoughts?

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
I experienced that too, can't say whether it's a good thing or not - I haven't really been on finasteride long enough. Maybe someone else can help?

AquaNet

Reaction score
I too, not on propecia but minoxidil foam twice daily at 4 months and the only shed I experience now is small hairs like described above that are dark, thick hairs and the ones that fall are all the same size ( weired ) n I wanna know what is up as well.

I have propecia here and and yet used it cause I wanna know what is up with this first, normal, bad, good /.

seeves

Reaction score
I have been on minoxidil liquid since last october and the only hair i really lose anymore are these really small hairs that are no more than half a milimeter. I am not sure if these are minitiarized hairs that are being shed by the rogaine or if i am just still losing hair from male pattern baldness. They dont seem to have any cosmetic difference on my hair so it makes me wonder how critical this really is. Does anyone else know what this might mean or if it as at least the right track?

AquaNet

Reaction score
I replied to this message on April 15th asking "I would like to know as well" and at that time I was shedding tiny dark hairs.

Making this reply to my reply I am at 100 days now since I started treatment and I no longer lose any tiny dark hairs, I might lose some longer hairs once in a while and more so when I gel it but that is expected.

Now that I am not losing any tiny hairs, I am finally having a lot of regrowth, lots of regrowth on the temples and can't tell really on the rest of the head cause I keep my hair 3" long, but I am sure there is regrowth.

SO, I still don't know why but all I can say is that the tiny hairs stopped about 15 days ago and rapid regrowth started.

Format

Reaction score
Yea i've stopped losing them as well. Maybe it was just an initial shock from starting finasteride and there's good times to come. :)

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not on any meds; just started a natural regimen a month and a half ago; and yet i have been seeing these eyelash type hairs as well. Could this mean its a similar phenomena as you guys and i might be in store for some regrowth?

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the tiny small hairs that fall out are the hairs that have been miniaturized by male pattern baldness and now that the meds are kicking in they are the ones that fall out first to be replaced by stronger hairs.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
from looking at my natural regimen (see the regimen tab) do you think its possible that i could be experiencing this? I've never seen these hairs before. My hair is currently like maybe an inch long; but the hairs that i shed are these eyelash length. Thank you.

G

I'm surprised nobody here has replied yet saying that this is NORMAL and actually a GOOD SIGN.

When you shed after a treatment, it's a good sign that the treatment is working as the hair's telogen phase is reduced, and a the follicles will resync to start growing new hair.

You can normally lose up to about 100 telogen phase hairs a day.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, i've heard this; i am just curious if its normal for the shed hairs to be of this particular length (eyelash length) while your hair is actually longer?

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
Yes, i've heard this; i am just curious if its normal for the shed hairs to be of this particular length (eyelash length) while your hair is actually longer?

My eyelash hairs are longer and thicker than these tiny hairs that I lose. Some of them are crooked too, with abnormal looking curls. Some hairs I lose are shaped like an "L", they appear broken and weird. How dreadful miniturization is.

G

Ouroboros said:

A lot of the ones I've been shedding lately are about this length too. This seems better than losing the longer/thicker ones. The follicles are likely pushing these out for thicker terminals to come through next.

I'm just curious, but do these treatments shorten all hair cycles? Because it typically takes 3 years for a regular terminal to grow and then shed. Therefore it would seem like it would take the vellous the absolute longest to turn into terminals just from the hair growth process. I imagine vellous go through the 4 cycles too no?

seeves

Reaction score
I have been on minoxidil for over 7 months and the only hairs that i have been falling out are small hairs that are a little smaller than an eyelash. The hairs are shedding as i am not losing large amounts each day but i do notice a few of them if i look for them. They dont really make an impact to the overall appearance of my hair becuase they are so small. I am hoping this is a sign of regrowth since i have noticed little hairs coming up on my hairline that are getting thicker over time. I feel this must be a good sign that the treatment is working all over since i do see regrowth where nothing once was. Just my thoughts tho.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
When I started shedding tiny hairs, I seem to shed less thick hair. Then again I have no clue if this is a good sight.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, since starting foam a couple of months ago I have been noticing shedding of tiny very strong looking hairs, while I am yet to see some good regrowth only weedy sh*t.

I will update here if things turn for the better, but I am shedding more of these dark terminal looking hairs than miniaturized ones, not sure this is a good sign.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Still shedding those tiny dark hairs... even more now. I also notice that some of these hairs are half thick, half miniaturized... weird. I wish I knew which end was where so I can judge if its thickening or miniaturizing.