Shedding timeline!

Pixman

Reaction score
Month 1
No Shedding
Month 2
No Shedding (or maybe a little, not sure, never had any hair in the sink)
Month 3
Think it's starting to shed

Does this mean, minoxidil could be working not very good for me?

I don't lose a lot of hair generally. It's strange. My hair is thinning, but VERY slowly.
Maybe it's because of this?

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
Month 01: Nothing
Month 02: Minor Shedding
Month 03: Minor Shedding
Month 04: Re-Growth
Month 05: Re-Growth
Month 06: Re-Growth
Month 07: Stable
Month 08: Stable
Month 09: MORE Re-Growth
Month 10: Stable
Month 11: MAJOR shedding (BUT...a lot of regrowth on my hairline...where all the hairs on my left temple fell out, there is a patch of 1/8 inch long hairs that are actually the same color as the rest of my hair --- GOOD SIGN I hope)

My Regimen
Morning: Minoxidil Foam 5% on hairline and crown, 1.25mg finasteride, 5000mcg Biotin
Mid Morning: Shampoo and Condition (I recently started using a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. BIG difference in my hair's look and feel. Highly recommended.)
Evening: Lipogaine (minoxidil 5% Liquid) on hairline and crown, 2% ketoconozole shampoo every three to four days, .05% tretinoin creme on temples just about every other day

Pixman

Reaction score
Got minor Shedding now in the third month and it looks like it will regrow in a month or so, I hope.

See on top of the site my shedding timeline.

The hair thinned very intensely.

Reaction score
Month 1-7 - was losing lose of hair anyway and didn't notice any difference, maybe a bit less here and there at some points, though can't recall which!
Months 7 -10 - Seemed to be losing no hair at all. Constantly rubbing my hair and little or nothing there
Months 10 - 15 losing loads of hair again!

Wondering whether months 10-15 are a (very long blip) or whether I need to gvie up on finasteride and try dutasteride instead. Any advice/experiences welcome!

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
Month 1-7 - was losing lose of hair anyway and didn't notice any difference, maybe a bit less here and there at some points, though can't recall which!
Months 7 -10 - Seemed to be losing no hair at all. Constantly rubbing my hair and little or nothing there
Months 10 - 15 losing loads of hair again!

Wondering whether months 10-15 are a (very long blip) or whether I need to gvie up on finasteride and try dutasteride instead. Any advice/experiences welcome!

Maybe it's a synchronized shed and growth cycle. Finasteride initially disrupts your normal growth and shed cycles, causing more hairs to shed at the same time and then to grow back again at the same time. In the long run, these synchronized cycles are supposed to return to more of a normal growth and shed cycles.

I've been on Finasteride for 2+ years and had a shed through most of the summer followed by a major shed from August through September. Since then, the shedding has basically stopped. I'm hoping it stops for good so I can regain density.

Reaction score
I seem to be losing a lot of hair though rerun, and my hairline has receeded a lot. I'm wondering whether to give up and try something else or whether to keep on proscar in the hope that it might start working again

donyell

Reaction score
Started shedding quickly, but hair was actually looking better, then 3rd month major shed and loss of density...bounced back a bit now shedding more on the 5th month

crown is definitely improved, hairline and front has definitely declined

ben760

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been on a shedding cycle 3 times last year. each cycle my hair thinned, scalp is visible almost bald after a shower but after a month and a half it bounces back to thick hair again and was really happy about that. well now its different im expecting my hair would be thick again but it did not. the shed stopped but thin hair and decreased density remains been 3months now. i was using minoxidil 1x/day everytime it sheds and stops applying when hair bounces back again.

anyone with similar experience? im still using minoxidil along nizoral 2x/week. i dont use finasteride as it gave me sides.

tissotti

Reaction score
Reading topics over here in this sub forum I'm starting to think if there are actual longer term success stories after heavy shedding.

Using 1mg finn and nizoral from the first day.

1 month. No shedding
2. Slight shedding
3. No shedding
4. No shedding
5. No shedding
6. No shedding
7. Quite heavy shedding

My baseline is very good. After some month of gains, those are now close to disappearing. I got very good results after 4 months of use with my crown fully grown back.

Fermat

Reaction score
Month 1-3: little to no shedding
Month 4: Heavy shedding

My hairline hasn't changed from baseline and may have possibly even improved but the top has become significantly thinner. The general look & health of my hair has become much poorer too, my before photos are much fuller and healthy looking.

Pre-finasteride, my main concern was my temples, my diffuse thinning was only mild. Now, the diffuse thinning and lifelessness of my hair is my main concern.

bram1988

Reaction score
Great topic! Hard time when you start treatment. Good to see other timelines

Month 1: No noticable shedding
Month 2: Small increase in shedding (mainly smaller hairs)
Month 3: Same amount of shedding as month 2, but the longer hairs are back
Month 4: 2 weeks in, still the same. Although it feels like it differs a lot. 3 days decrease, 3 days increase. 3 days decrease, 3 days increase. yesterday: washing my hairs only 5 hairs instead of 40, 5 hairs when styling instead of 15. Styling today 15 hairs again

Although i haven't seen a big shedding the frontal area is getting worse, it seems i'm losing more hairs where it counts. Not very encouraging. Possible signs of small regrowth though, but i can't be sure yet.

Don't really know what to think of all this. Might be slowly declining or am i crazy?

Blx

Reaction score
Started in May.

Month 1: Nothing much
Month 2: Very big shed
Month 3: Very small shed
Month 4: Small, but not as small as month 3
Month 5 (now): Big shed.

Had massive regrowth in the crown area around month 3. Temples also good, but not as much. Now it's becoming bad again but not as bad as before, but I just have to ride it out right?

Fermat

Reaction score
Month 1-3: little to no shedding
Month 4: Heavy shedding

My hairline hasn't changed from baseline and may have possibly even improved but the top has become significantly thinner. The general look & health of my hair has become much poorer too, my before photos are much fuller and healthy looking.

Pre-finasteride, my main concern was my temples, my diffuse thinning was only mild. Now, the diffuse thinning and lifelessness of my hair is my main concern.
Update:

Month 5: Small amount of shedding.
Month 6: (beginning 11th November) Shedding has come to a complete stand still. I can pull at my hair firmly with no hairs coming out, for the first time in 5-6 years!

L&R

Reaction score
1.25 finasteride daily, 1% nizoral 3x/week

1 Month: no change
2 Months: "oh god"
3 Months: "why god, why?"
4 Months: "there is no god"
4.5 Months: shedding stopped, new hairs growing
5.25 Months: shedding still stopped, new hairs growing in fuller by the week

Rakti1988

Reaction score
0.5mg finasteride/day since 14 July, recently added nizoral 2% twice a week.

I'm not sure if my hair is shedding or the hair loss is continuing as it was before I started taking finasteride, or if there is any difference between the two? When I wash, style or ruffle my hair I'm still finding hairs through my fingers and on my hands - not noticed a huge amount of differene, for better or worse, since beginning my regimen.

Anybody else experienced something similar?

zakkwild

Reaction score
only finasteride 1.25mg daily (proscar)
no minoxidil, no nizoral

month 1 = Shedding like before i took finasteride (100-200 per day)

month 2 = Massive shedding (300-400 per day)

month 3 = Shedding like HELL !!
(500 up per day) man, this was the worst event in my life. my girl left me and super massive shedding. **** MY LIFE!!

month 4 = Shedding decreased noticeably (so happy)

month 5 = less Shedding

month 6 = almost no shedding

month 7 to month 22 = no shedding on my pillow in the morning, no shedding in the sink when i finished washing my hair even i had a long hair....
could not notice any regrowth because i had a long hair may be it had slightly regrowth but i didnt care much. My goal is stop the shedding thing.

month 23 - month 26(Now)
noticeable shedding and last 2 days I got a Massive shedding again but now it seems to be reduced... I hope it should be a cycle of my hair..

Hope you guys get through this curse
I feel so good to share my experience.

Sorry for my bad english
I'm an Asian with bad educate in english.