Shedding timeline!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok does anyone know at what time points people have sheds due to finasteride or minoxidil and how intense the sheds may be?

I went through a shed at month 2 and it wasn't that bad and now I am shedding heavily at month 5 and its been like this for a month already.

So for me its been like this

Month 1 - not much shedding
Month 2 - Shedding increased
Month 3 to 4 - Shedding slightly but at a low constant rate
Month 5 - Extreme shedding (~100 hairs everytime I apply minoxidil)

How has everyone else's shed been like and at which time points?

Cheers

Sorue

Reaction score
Hmmm i'm currently at month 4 of minoxidil. Initial shed at around 3-4 weeks mark, stabilised by the 2 month. I don't shed much now but i haven't had regrowth yet.
I saw your pics and i didnt get the fast regrowth you did. Maybe it's cos the new stronger hair wants to replace the 'older' ones? By 'older' i mean the regrowth hair lol

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Month 1 - Not much shedding
Month 2 - Shedding increased slightly
Month 3 to 4 - Shedding increased even more, but not extreme
Month 5 - Extreme shedding (300 +)
Month 6 - Extreme shedding (300 +)
Month 7 - Extreme shedding (300 +)
Month 8 - Shedding slowed slightly
Month 9 - Shedding slowed right down
Month 10 - Not much shedding

Overall thickness has improved.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Common people, I know lots of you guys are on finasteride and/or minoxidil so fill out your shedding trends!

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Excessive shedding from the first 1-2 weeks on minoxidil (i was only on minoxidil) and growth spurt almost at the same time. It stabilized after 2,5-3 months. Even though i was shedding alot (i remember once i was slightly pulling my hair over the drain and got scared from the hair coming out) there was not much difference in the mirror, and that's why i kept using the treatment. I had much regrowth, and maintaining till now (i changed my regimen over the years though).

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Month 1 - not much shedding
Month 2 - Shedding increased
Month 3 to 4 - Shedding slightly but at a low constant rate
Month 5 - Extreme shedding (~100 hairs everytime I apply minoxidil)
Month 6 - Shedding even worse (easy ~300 hairs when applying minoxidil)
Month 7 - Still shedding but might have slowed down a little(difficult to tell)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can people please post their f**king shedding trends? I know lots of people here have been on the big 3 for years so must have had sheds

:)

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
True, sometimes folks just don't take the time. Much to my dismay. It's the only way we can help each other.

EpidermisShowing

Reaction score
Month 1 shedding
Month 2 not much shedding
Month 3 nothing
Month 4 Lots of Shedding
Month 5 Lots of Shedding
Month 6 Shedding but then stopped
Month 7 Little Shedding
Month 8 No Shedding hair appears thicker
Month 9 Shedding
Month 10 Stopped shedding but left with thin parts

I really dont understand it, I have less hair than i started i think that is a definete or it could just be thinner.

DHTvictim

Reaction score
Month 1 extreme shedding within one week of starting finasteride
Month 2 extreme shedding
Month 3 shedding stabilised a bit
Month 4 started shedding again

P.s I shed a lot of hairs from the back and sides of my head ...temples have improved greatly i think due to minoxidil but overall hairs have thinned a lot some areas thinner than others..

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
True, sometimes folks just don't take the time. Much to my dismay. It's the only way we can help each other.

so wheres your shedding trend?!

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry bout that, I really should have put mine up before I said anything...

Month 1: Minimal if any at all.
Month 2-4: Very little.
Month 5-8: Pretty heavy and discouraging.
Month 9: Seemed to have evened out to minimal shedding again.
Month 10-11: Shedding seemed to have stopped mostly.
Month 12: A little bit of a shed but overall I think the density has increased and at the very least maintained.

Note: Only on finasteride and started a good routing of nizoral just recently. Thinking of adding minoxidil in the form of Xandrox 15% Plus if it doesn't improve over the next 2 months.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
From the posts in this thread it seems ppl shed the most between months 4 - 7.

I have been on minoxidil for 11 months and finasteride for 6 months. Stopped minoxidil a month ago.

My experience (taking into account only finasteride) ...

Month1 - Shedding but i think it was more due to minoxidil
Month 2- No shedding
Month 3- No shedding
Month 4- Minor shed
Month 5- Minor Shed (stopped minoxidil here)
Month 6- Major shed (Am on finasteride,nizoral and Tricomin)

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride only:

Month 1-4 probably nothing
4-6 some shedding
6-7 cried myself to sleep
7-8 probably nothing
8-10 awesome

Hurray for beeing normal.

Pelle

Reaction score
Finasteride only, start august 14

Month 1: About 100 a day (i think that is normal)
Month 2-3: About 150 a 200 a day (little shed)
Month 4: 250+ a day
Month 5: ? Keep you guys posted!

Obsidian

Reaction score
Month 1: Nasty shed
Month 2: Nothing
Month 3: Nothing
Month 4: Nasty shed
Month 5: Nothing
Month 6: Nasty shed
Month 7: Shedding slowed down and started up again lol, stopped in early in the month
Month 8: Shedding not heavy but not light
Month 9: Shedding again left with very thin parts and no density/volume (kind of scared).

Keep in mind I shed nowhere near what you're shedding. Personally if you're just losing ten to twenty hairs in the shower, I wouldn't think much of it even before balding. Plus like many people said, you just lost so much hair in such a short amount of time so and then grew so much back on meds so it is probably just cycling. I think you're gonna be fine man :punk:

zossima

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been on finasteride and minoxidil since 1 june 2008... this is what happened so far:

1 month: no shedding, thicker hair
2 month: same
3 month: Started shedding LOADS!
4 month: Shedding stoped more hair visible
5 month: no shedding
6 month no shedding
7 month: shedding again!! HEAVY!

WOAHdreambig

Reaction score
i have been on propecia and minoxidil for about a month and a half now and im shedding pretty bad. from what yall have said it looks like there is plenty more to look forward to.
my question is when you do go through periods of increased shedding do you actually notice a difference in your hairline or is it just the psychological effect of your hair falling out that gets to you?

Obsidian

Reaction score
For me it was psychological. I thought for sure after this nasty shed my temples and hairline had gone back even more but I forgot the main factor of my hair was getting long. After the haircut this past week my temples and hairline although shot currently are still the same as they were, classic Norwood 2.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
first 4 months was just finasteride and nizoral 2%(everyday) and i just recently add foam not even a month ago

1st month: nothing
2nd month:nothing
3rd month:nothing but semen appeared semen(ya i know this is a shedding forum)
4th month: added foam and started shedding after 2 weeks,but hairline seems to growing

i shave my head so my hair is very short so it doesnt bother me but a year and a half ago when i started foam and my hair was longer,thinning was way more visible and i panicked,but now shedding doesnt bother me at all since i shave my head