Shedding Suddenly After 9 Months On Fina, Am I Fucked

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
After 9 months of solid regrowth on topical and oral fina (1.1 mg for the oral) I am shedding and losing ground. Just lost at least 25 hairs in the shower, hair is coming out whenever I comb. WTF? How and why could this happen? Is it possible my scalp is upregulating androgen receptors in response to the drop in DHT? What can I do? I am adding daro to my routine soon, hopefully I won't lose all my gains!

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think people forget how much they shed when the weather starts getting warmer. Unless you are seeing real thinning, like a bald area, then do not be concerned about increased shedding.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think people forget how much they shed when the weather starts getting warmer. Unless you are seeing real thinning, like a bald area, then do not be concerned about increased shedding.

I am seeing thinning though I still look better than my pics from 9 months ago

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am seeing thinning though I still look better than my pics from 9 months ago

I would continue onward and just do not pay attention to your hair for a while. The worst thing we can do is get freaked out and stop a successful treatment or add something else which may cause renewed shedding or confound the results. Sometimes we just need to forget about our hair.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
After 9 months of solid regrowth on topical and oral fina (1.1 mg for the oral) I am shedding and losing ground. Just lost at least 25 hairs in the shower, hair is coming out whenever I comb. WTF? How and why could this happen? Is it possible my scalp is upregulating androgen receptors in response to the drop in DHT? What can I do? I am adding daro to my routine soon, hopefully I won't lose all my gains!

I experienced androgen receptor upregulation on finasteride, however it happened within a week of starting the med. As you have tolerated the drug pretty well for 9 months and have seen gains, I don't think it's wise to quit it. Have you seen other symptoms associated with receptor up-regulation such oilier skin, higher sex drive and increase in body hair? If not, that's a very strong evidence against upregulation. I will stick with finasteride for now if I were you.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@countjulian does it help to use both topical and oral finasteride? I'm only on oral as of now
I think both is better than just oral. There's science to suggest topical does work, so using both would be a good idea.. I might even see if I can get a hold of some topical finasteride

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I experienced androgen receptor upregulation on finasteride, however it happened within a week of starting the med. As you have tolerated the drug pretty well for 9 months and have seen gains, I don't think it's wise to quit it. Have you seen other symptoms associated with receptor up-regulation such oilier skin, higher sex drive and increase in body hair? If not, that's a very strong evidence against upregulation. I will stick with finasteride for now if I were you.

I've been having an acne outbreak (not bad but noticeable, a pimple on my face and several on my body), and my libido has been good, hard to tell with the body hair as I have always been a hairy greek motherfucker and didn't notice much change on fina.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Lol how do you know your androgen receptors sensitivity increased?

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Isn’t 25 hair in the shower pretty normal?

Do you also use minoxidil?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score

25 hairs in the shower is pretty normal. If anything it seems like you're just becoming a little hypersensitive with your hair (e.g., noticing things that were already there before).

I've been on finasteride since December 2015 and I still lose a lot of hair daily; hair still looks the same.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been having an acne outbreak (not bad but noticeable, a pimple on my face and several on my body), and my libido has been good, hard to tell with the body hair as I have always been a hairy greek motherfucker and didn't notice much change on fina.
Your symptoms unfortunately do point to either increase in dht or androgen sensitivity. Still, as you have gained hair on finasteride I would recommend riding it out for another few months and then reevaluate. If you continue to lose ground, you should consider switching to different anti androgens such as RU.

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride causes so many new hairs to grow at one time, then Shirley those same hairs will renew at same time, hence the shed? While normal hair on ones head growing up renew at very different times?

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride causes so many new hairs to grow at one time, then Shirley those same hairs will renew at same time, hence the shed? While normal hair on ones head growing up renew at very different times?

That's what I am thinking

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do use minoxidil, I don't know I try to keep track and it seems to be a bit more lately, it's gotten better since I made this post though.

I think it’s minoxidil. It has a typical shed-growth-shed cycles since more hair are in anagen/telogen phase at once