Shedding stubbies???

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last two weeks or so, I have noticed an INCREASE in the number of short hair I am shedding. They range in length from about one-quarter inch to about and inch or so. At first I though it was due to breakage, and was kinda :freaked: , but then I don't remember ever seeing it before the shed started.
I was at another forum, and reads posts: apparently, these are NEW hairs that went into a resting phase too early, not breakage!
It CAN be good news: my hairs are beginning to come out of its resting phase. Some shafts are waking up, and the new hairs will now, hopefully, go into a normal growth phase. [This is with Telogen Effluvium} :rockon:

However, it might also mean, Telogen Effluvium is turning into Androgenetic Alopecia. :( But' I don't think I have the genetics for Androgenetic Alopecia. 8O
Time will tell.

Has anyone else noticed these short hairs shedding???? :hairy:

CanadianCutie

Reaction score
Omg...i'm experiencing the exact same thing. last week when i showered i think i must have loss at least a thousand hairs, i'm not exaggerating! but most of the hairs where really small, an inch or even smaller and they were very very thin and light compared to the rest of my hair! now i notice more of these little hairs. I'm not sure what this means....i just want the shedding to stop!

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
So, maybe this is good news?!?!

What is your hair loss history? Like stress, meds, length of time, etc.

Maxine

Reaction score
Yes. I've had that before too, MJ. When I was seeing Dr. Proctor, he told me that is called "cropping" and that it is a good sign. It means just what you said: the hair follicles are waking up! Lucky you!!!!! :)

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Maxine,
Both for the info and the kind thoughts! :)

I must tell you, I've been shedding off and on since at least December. In all that time, I've gone back and forth on the emotions scale. I hope I am leveling off and near the end of the tunnel, that the shedding/resting phase will stop and I will see some REAL regrowth.
I know a lot of you are younger than I, since I am menopausal and 51. And a lot of you have been battling hair loss for many years. But, I like to think there is always hope for regrowth. There is SO much we don't know about how our bodies react to drugs and the environment, and how it affects our hair.
These forums are an invaluable source of information and support!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

It took a long time to figure out the causes of my Telogen Effluvium. Four doctors, only one of which seemed to know anything about hormonal triggers and hair loss. At first, I thought it was Androgenetic Alopecia. Until, after reading lots of sites and some books, I figured out my body DID NOT like the synthetic HRT I was using. ARRGGHHHH. Curse you, my former gyn!! for prescribing them. Then, I go on Atkins, and start another shed. It was someone else on this site who pointed out a severe diet change, such as Atkins, can cause Telogen Effluvium. I gotta develop a one-day-at-a-time attitude, because I wonder if I am now more suspectable to Telogen Effluvium triggers, as I grow older. C'est la vie!!

There's a lot of kind and compassionate people posting on HairLossTalk.com. This site, as well as keratin.com gave me a lot on info.. .. :love:

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe 1/3 or less of what I lose now are shorter hairs.. under 2 inches long. I am not sure yet if it's good or bad.... if it points to my having Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia... just seems like more hairloss.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've gotta think positive, that it is recovering Telogen Effluvium. Although, I heard the stubbies could also be Telogen Effluvium turning into Androgenetic Alopecia....UUGGGHHHHH! {Of course, you have to be genetically predisposed to Androgenetic Alopecia.]
No, I'm gonna try to stay positive about this.

Let's hope it is a good sign for all. :love: At least it is a change from shedding normal-length hairs!