Shedding on spironolactone, dutasteride, minoxidil- question-

jlb1177

Reaction score
i have been on dutasteride now for close to 1 year, minoxidil for multiple years and just started spironolactone about a month ago. Before spironolactone (oral, 150mg) my hair was doing better so I thought at least. I began taking spironolactone which seems to have caused a pretty big shed and thinness throughout my frontal and crown. my hair is pretty much see through at this point and very thin.-----

Does a hair have to shed in order to thicken? or can it thicken without shedding and become stronger without falling and having a new hair replace the old brittle hair? im not sure what im going through is medication related or not, but i hope so.

Reaction score
i have been on dutasteride now for close to 1 year, minoxidil for multiple years and just started spironolactone about a month ago. Before spironolactone (oral, 150mg) my hair was doing better so I thought at least. I began taking spironolactone which seems to have caused a pretty big shed and thinness throughout my frontal and crown. my hair is pretty much see through at this point and very thin.-----

Does a hair have to shed in order to thicken? or can it thicken without shedding and become stronger without falling and having a new hair replace the old brittle hair? im not sure what im going through is medication related or not, but i hope so.
Your hair is going to have to shed to become the thickness you desire. Just be patient, and wait for your hair to thicken. I'm not certain, but it seems almost impossible for you to lose hair via male pattern baldness, so it's because of the drugs. Also, that's a very serious regimen! Have you felt the same in the past month you've been on spironolactone? I'm considering adding oral spironolactone to my regimen as well.

jlb1177

Reaction score
Your hair is going to have to shed to become the thickness you desire. Just be patient, and wait for your hair to thicken. I'm not certain, but it seems almost impossible for you to lose hair via male pattern baldness, so it's because of the drugs. Also, that's a very serious regimen! Have you felt the same in the past month you've been on spironolactone? I'm considering adding oral spironolactone to my regimen as well.

I haven't noticed side effects from any drug i take including spironolactone. I get Duta prescribed and i get Sprio from Inhouse, which is legit from all accounts (smells funny). Ill probably end up at 200mg at some point as long as I dont see sides. But for all intents and purposes I feel totally normal.

jlb1177

Reaction score
Wow, that is a heavy regime. What Norwood are you?

Im a diffuse thinner so its hard to say. It is thinning all over the top mostly, so if this doesn't work im sure ill be totally bald at some point. My hair at the moment is so dry, brittle and lifeless. My hair does seem to go in waves of decency to total sh1t and back. Not sure of the reason for this. I posted about a month ago when I thought my hair was getting darker and thicker but that changed after I added spironolactone (current shed).

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Oral spironolactone is some HEAVY DUTY sh*t my friend. That is drastic change to your body and you are probably suffering Telogen Effluvium as a result.

jlb1177

Reaction score
Just curious, why did you jump on spironolactone?

That can be dangerous for males. That's actually recommended for female baldness, and
women can take higher anti androgens then men.

-I want to give myself all the chances of saving my hair while i have some.

-Its not Telogen Effluvium as I've had similar sheds in the past. I was interested in other user experiences with shedding / shedding and spironolactone. I am aware of the seriousness of taking spironolactone and did my research. i have high test levels and thought I could handle a moderate dosage of spironolactone and not get sides. So far im correct. But im always monitoring for something new.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, how did it turn out?? Im on minoxdil 5%, 1mg Duta ED and just started 150mg spironolactone ED some days ago... Did your hair grow back?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, how did it turn out?? Im on minoxdil 5%, 1mg Duta ED and just started 150mg spironolactone ED some days ago... Did your hair grow back?
I think it did. He would have came back if things weren't going good. I wouldn't be on here if I was having success.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it did. He would have came back if things weren't going good. I wouldn't be on here if I was having success.

Or maybe it didn't and he end up giving up... Who knows.... I'm doing the same treatment as the OP and if does work I'll be the first one here telling it and showing proof. I think it's important.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or maybe it didn't and he end up giving up... Who knows.... I'm doing the same treatment as the OP and if does work I'll be the first one here telling it and showing proof. I think it's important.
It most certainly is important to show results. Watch out for a spironolactone shed BTW, I got a bad one. Good luck !

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah... I had a Duta shed after one month on it, it's gone now though.. So yeah I'm expecting the spironolactone shed in a couple of weeks.. Oh well..

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, my peepee still works and Im doing a high dose of duta and spironolactone lool