Shedding Not Stopping After Change Of Birth Control

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it’s hairwash day. I dread these days. I try so hard not to let it affect me but I can’t help it when I lose so much all at once and then even after my hair is dried they continue to fall at a faster rate for at least a day.
I only wash it twice a week but it’s not like it ever looks any better it’s dry limp and lacking, the parting gets wider and wider and my double crown snakes down the back of my head!

I’m so fed up with feeling this way!! ☹️
Today is my day too...
I was mine at least 3x a week and if you haven't yet try some keto shampoo, also wash you hair as often as you can bear because you have to keep your scalp as clean and DHT free as possible. How many hairs do you lose per wash?

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Girls I've now been back on the pill for about 2 months and I think it's triggered another Telogen Effluvium. I'm sitting here crying and don't know what to do. This is exactly how it started 5 years ago - I went on the pill and 2 months later I suddenly started losing hair. Then I stopped the pill and it got even worse. I probably got Telogen Effluvium from going on the pill and going off the pill triggered another one, eventually resulting in CTE. What the hell do I do now?!

1) Should I pull through and continue the pill hoping that this Telogen Effluvium will go away eventually?

2) I've never tried Minoxidil because I'm terrified of the shedding phase. Should I screw it and start minoxidil now that I'm shedding anyway?

3) Do I stop taking BCP after the third package?

I'm so tired of this I want to die. 5 years and still no end in sight. My life is ruined.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Girls I've now been back on the pill for about 2 months and I think it's triggered another Telogen Effluvium. I'm sitting here crying and don't know what to do. This is exactly how it started 5 years ago - I went on the pill and 2 months later I suddenly started losing hair. Then I stopped the pill and it got even worse. I probably got Telogen Effluvium from going on the pill and going off the pill triggered another one, eventually resulting in CTE. What the hell do I do now?!

1) Should I pull through and continue the pill hoping that this Telogen Effluvium will go away eventually?

2) I've never tried Minoxidil because I'm terrified of the shedding phase. Should I screw it and start minoxidil now that I'm shedding anyway?

3) Do I stop taking BCP after the third package?

I'm so tired of this I want to die. 5 years and still no end in sight. My life is ruined.
I don't know how to pm you, do you want my e-mail? Maybe we can talk.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Joan,
Thank you for your words.
I don't know really where to get the stuff, how to mix it & so on. Then you have the example of @Georgie, she has tried nearly everything with little success.
I started losing my hair at 36 my husband around the same age but he still has loads, so yes my biggest fear are my children. I can relate to your pain, meanwhile it would hurt me more then my own loss.
Our bodies are unique and react to things differently, though. A former female member had great results with topical spironolactone, finasteride and minoxidil, while others have no success. We shouldn't assume what doesn't work for one won't work for others. If you're not fearful of introducing different chemicals into your system (like I am), I would say give other things a shot. In the other sections, they do provide specific places where to buy the chemicals and also directions on how to mix whatever chemicals they're taking. I'm really lost there and don't comprehend a lot. They're helpful if you ask questions, though, especially idealforehead. I really hope Georgie will one day soon report that something's working for her.

User1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes me so angry! I used to collect the balls of hair and take them out on the desk much to their disgust and show them how much I was losing.
Yes it can be seasonal but not at this rate and besides you only shed a few months every few years!! Anagen phase should be between 2-4 years.

They probably all get their degrees from google!
And omg if I hear ‘losing 100 hairs a day is normal’ once more I’m gonna punch someone. NO! It’s actually not normal to someone who previously lost about 10hairs after washing not 400!! I used to brush style and put my hair into buns on top of my head and only lose 1. Now I tie it back (coz what else can u do when it’s limp and sh*t) and feel the lose ones tickle my arms till I run my hand through and remove 5/10 at a time!

Do you notice the quality of your hair has become worse too, like mine is SO dry and lank there’s no moisture in it no shine nothing even if I use deep conditioners sprays and oils???

I feel that the color of my hair is not the same anymore, but they are not very dry. I have regrowth, but at the same time i am losing not only long hair, but short too. I feel like some hair is so short that they grew maybe 2-3 months and then fell out. I feel my hair bulbs are smaller than before too. I gently slide my fingers through my hair and it is devastating to see how much is coming out. If i just know when it will stop...
I think i have telogen effluvium but there is no diagnosis.
Do you lose also all kind of hair, small/long? Do you feel that if you are hot and sweaty you lose more hair?

User1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
PLEASE! Maybe someone knows some answers to my question, I would really appreciate it! I am getting really deprrssed.
1.) I am shedding 8 months now and i am losing small hairs also (only few months old i guess). Can it happen with Telogen Effluvium or it indigates to CTE? What is your experience?
2.) My scalp gets itchy. It is not always itchy but it is mostly top of my head. Can itchy scalp occurs with Telogen Effluvium also?
3.) If you do not have hereditary hair loss, can you use rogaine? Is it good idea to use it if you have Telogen Effluvium (i dont know what i have but i think it might be Telogen Effluvium or CTE)
4.) I think i have lost more hair in the sides, but the same time all over my head, but mostly seen on the top.
5.) Some posts say that you should wash your hair once/twice a week. Some say that you should wash every day to get your scalp clean as much as possible. What do you think?
I had really bad breakdown today... i lost sooo many hairs and i dont know what triggered it. I loose a lot every day but today was just something else. I was getting ready to wash my hair and brushed it before and i just couldn't go shower anymore. I am considering going back on the pill, but the same time i don't want to do it.

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Laylaa,

I know it's been ages. I was just curious how things are going for you ad if the hair loss subside after stopping bc ?

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had similar sheds like you guys. Started losing hair at 21 yrs old, on and off Telogen Effluvium. I have Androgenetic Alopecia, baldness runs in both sides of my family. Got the worst shed from Mirena in 2018, lost so much density... I quit all birthcontrol and started Zix in january 2019 (Zinc +B6 lotion). Now I shed about 50 - 60 hairs a day instead of 200+. I hope to reduce shedding more by adding Rosemaryoil spray.

Xx

ashleysummer

Reaction score
And all because birth control pills alter hormone levels—which have a huge impact on the hair growth cycle, and they have the potential to affect the growth of your hair. When I use birth control, I drink a course of vitamins + omega once a year. It helps me to be healthy and have good looking hair. Although the pill may not affect hair growth at all, if it does, the changes can be positive or negative. It depends on your individual genetic makeup.

Arlena

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all - thanks so much for taking the time to read this. Hopefully someone is able to relate to my story. Please let me know if you have any advice.
Around September 2016, I went in for my yearly gyno appointment hoping to refill my prescription of yaz birth control that I had been on for roughly 10 years. Unfortunately, my gyno wouldn't prescribe that pill to me due to a recent change in my family history (it contains estrogen). I then switched to a progesterone only pill around October 2016, and then switched over to the IUD in February 2017. About two - three weeks after I got the IUD inserted, is when the hair loss started. Or rather, when I realized that the thinning and shedding wasn't just in my head.
It's now only been about two months, and my hair loss becomes more noticeable each and every day. It's so incredibly upsetting and depressing - and psychologically exhausting. Whenever I try to get my hair loss out of my mind, I'll accidentally run my fingers through my hair, and notice 4 or 5 hairs come out. Taking showers is a disaster. Brushing my hair is worse. This is particularly upsetting to me as I had very very fine hair to begin with, and literally needed every hair on my head. I can't imagine how bad I'll look as this continues to progress considering I have already lost around 40% of my hair. It makes me upset to learn how vain I am and how much of my self worth is wrapped up in how I look.
I understand this is likely telogen effluvium, and am hoping for regrowth. I feel my trigger was cutting out estrogen back in October, as the new birth control methods I was put on only contained estrogen. However, no doctors can say anything for sure. I'm getting the IUD removed just in case that's a potential contributing factor - and will be going hormone free for the foreseeable future. I am taking professional viviscal and biotin, as well as spirolactone to hopefully help regulate my hormones.
Anyone out there that has had/having a similar experience? Also has anyone used clip in extensions during telogen effluvium? Wigs? Anything is super helpful.
Check the rubber washers in your shower head!! My shower head had these black small washers that were degraded and giving off this black ink that was going in the water and all over me when I showered. Since I replaced my shower head and got rid of those washers my hair is growing back again. I would have never known if my shower head didn't break. I thought it was aging because I am 51 but it wasn't. Hope this helps!