Shedding Not Stopping After Change Of Birth Control

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my case, I had to convince my doctor to even do some blood test for me, bc she was telling me that sometimes we lose more hair. It is seasonal etc. At fist i thought that my gynecelogist can help me, explain what is going on and why I have this bcp side effect. My gyn. was a man and he denied that bcp and hair is related in any way and this is not his area. He sent me on my way. He told that he will not do any hormonal blood test to me because there is nothing wrong with me. I left form there in tears because at first I did not know that they actually deny this and I was so hopeful to get some answers.
Another gyn. was telling me that sometimes we lose more hair than usual and I don't have other symptoms (weigh gain, acne etc.), so it is not realted to my hormones and if i'm not on the pill anymore then it can't be because of the pill... because i am not on it!
How the hell is it possible that they seem not to know anything avout it.. they prescribe the pill for you and when you want to get help with the side effect, nobody know anything - they should be the one's knowing all about it.

When I called my gyn and told her that I was losing hair she also denied that there was any connection between BCP and my hair loss. Well, interestingly it was listed as a side effect!!! She told me to get my thyroid checked and then get back to her.
I mean, come on.... I NEVER had hair loss and then 1.5 months after going on a pill (that lists hair loss as a side effect) my hair starts coming out. And now you're telling me that's because of my thyroid which has been fine for the previous 18 years?
How do people still believe in doctors, how?!!

Sjw1582

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my case, I had to convince my doctor to even do some blood test for me, bc she was telling me that sometimes we lose more hair. It is seasonal etc. At fist i thought that my gynecelogist can help me, explain what is going on and why I have this bcp side effect. My gyn. was a man and he denied that bcp and hair is related in any way and this is not his area. He sent me on my way. He told that he will not do any hormonal blood test to me because there is nothing wrong with me. I left form there in tears because at first I did not know that they actually deny this and I was so hopeful to get some answers.
Another gyn. was telling me that sometimes we lose more hair than usual and I don't have other symptoms (weigh gain, acne etc.), so it is not realted to my hormones and if i'm not on the pill anymore then it can't be because of the pill... because i am not on it!
How the hell is it possible that they seem not to know anything avout it.. they prescribe the pill for you and when you want to get help with the side effect, nobody know anything - they should be the one's knowing all about it.

Makes me so angry! I used to collect the balls of hair and take them out on the desk much to their disgust and show them how much I was losing.
Yes it can be seasonal but not at this rate and besides you only shed a few months every few years!! Anagen phase should be between 2-4 years.

They probably all get their degrees from google!
And omg if I hear ‘losing 100 hairs a day is normal’ once more I’m gonna punch someone. NO! It’s actually not normal to someone who previously lost about 10hairs after washing not 400!! I used to brush style and put my hair into buns on top of my head and only lose 1. Now I tie it back (coz what else can u do when it’s limp and sh*t) and feel the lose ones tickle my arms till I run my hand through and remove 5/10 at a time!

Do you notice the quality of your hair has become worse too, like mine is SO dry and lank there’s no moisture in it no shine nothing even if I use deep conditioners sprays and oils???

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone tried mesotherapy for hair/scalp? I can't find a lot of reviews/forums about this. I have appointment on Monday and feel a little sceptical. It should help with hair shedding after giving birth, dandruff and dry hair etc.
Hey user1993,
I've tried the Kerastem treatment, they take body fat and process it then they inject into your scalp, paid 4.000 euros for 4 months of very little hair loss.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wishing we were all close by at least we have each other lol as it seems we all have the exact same story and feel the same desperation.
Thanks girls
Where do you guys live? I live in Switzerland.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Makes me so angry! I used to collect the balls of hair and take them out on the desk much to their disgust and show them how much I was losing.
Yes it can be seasonal but not at this rate and besides you only shed a few months every few years!! Anagen phase should be between 2-4 years.

They probably all get their degrees from google!
And omg if I hear ‘losing 100 hairs a day is normal’ once more I’m gonna punch someone. NO! It’s actually not normal to someone who previously lost about 10hairs after washing not 400!! I used to brush style and put my hair into buns on top of my head and only lose 1. Now I tie it back (coz what else can u do when it’s limp and sh*t) and feel the lose ones tickle my arms till I run my hand through and remove 5/10 at a time!

Do you notice the quality of your hair has become worse too, like mine is SO dry and lank there’s no moisture in it no shine nothing even if I use deep conditioners sprays and oils???
Oh yes, my hair is meanwhile just dry and limp, colour has changed as well. That's the beauty of Androgenetic Alopecia not only you are constantly losing hair but those you still keep minituarize. It's wonderful...

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where do you guys live? I live in Switzerland.
Which part of Switzerland?
I'm from Germany!

I would give this a million likes if I could lol

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I called my gyn and told her that I was losing hair she also denied that there was any connection between BCP and my hair loss. Well, interestingly it was listed as a side effect!!! She told me to get my thyroid checked and then get back to her.
I mean, come on.... I NEVER had hair loss and then 1.5 months after going on a pill (that lists hair loss as a side effect) my hair starts coming out. And now you're telling me that's because of my thyroid which has been fine for the previous 18 years?
How do people still believe in doctors, how?!!
Androgenetic alopecia is hormonal, so if I was predistened to have it at around 60 the bc/pregnancy, whatever it was in my case, just made it happen earlier. There is no cure for it, there is no treatment which helps all like insulin for diabetes. Like for men fina does not help all or has the same side effects either.
If you have cte your hair texture doesn't really change, it does not minituarize.
I never had a biopsy but I have been to enough dermatologists in the past 10 years to know.
In the past 2 years it has gotten worse, the hair is thinner, horrible quality. Even if I could wear them open just the distress of the hair constantly falling, I just can't take it anymore.
I live the same hell as you do, everyday. I also would wish I had something I could either fight or die from it, what we have is a slow death in every sense, physical and mental.
I checked everything, I came to terms with the diagnosis.

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Zurich. Where in Germany?

Beautiful city, my mother's best friend lives there.
I'm from a small town near Munich.
Tomorrow I'm going to call the Uniklinik in Munich as they have a "Haarsprechstunde", my mother really wants me to go there. But I don't have much hope. I already see them prescribing Rogaine to me.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Beautiful city, my mother's best friend lives there.
I'm from a small town near Munich.
Tomorrow I'm going to call the Uniklinik in Munich as they have a "Haarsprechstunde", my mother really wants me to go there. But I don't have much hope. I already see them prescribing Rogaine to me.
I've lived for 11 years in Munich, a wonderful city. :)
Maybe when I come to Munich next time we meet for coffee? :)

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've lived for 11 years in Munich, a wonderful city. :)
Maybe when I come to Munich next time we meet for coffee? :)

I'd love that!
The only people I know who are also suffering from this devastating condition always seem to live so far away.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
This could be my story too.

Sofia

I completely echo everything you just said! I feel the same way and have had drs day the same things and as bad as it sounds and probably selfish at least with an illness there’s a reason and a treatment plan but I feel we are all just in limbo and the problem that is seen as ’cosmetic’ is swept under the carpet. Then because we get reclusive and depressed they wanna chuck antidepressants at us the treat us psychosomaticaly for a cause that is actually physical.

I’m off to the dr today to scream and shout but don’t hold out much hope of getting anywhere different. I feel like I’ve aged so much in the last 3 years I can’t enjoy myself and even going into shops and standing under the strip lights causes so much anxiety.
My 14yr old daughter and my 5 yr old are also losing hair my youngest hair is to her waist and so beautiful (I’m jealous!) I’m so scared they will have the same problem I pump them with vitamins and iron tabs.

Your right only those that go through it truly understand. Even my mums stopped listening to my cries as she doesn’t know how to help anymore.
I hear you, I have exactly the same.
Pls do not despair, your husband being younger does not mean he will leave you. Sure this horrible decease brought trouble into my marriage but I would not say my husband will leave me for that. Your husband is getting older as well and the love he has for you is most probably not because you have wonderful hair, but everything else which makes you the woman he wanted to be with.

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd love that!
The only people I know who are also suffering from this devastating condition always seem to live so far away.
Great! I don't know anyone with hair loss and meanwhile I don't even talk about it anymore.
What is the name of this topical with alfatradiol that you take?

Sjw1582

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hear you, I have exactly the same.
Pls do not despair, your husband being younger does not mean he will leave you. Sure this horrible decease brought trouble into my marriage but I would not say my husband will leave me for that. Your husband is getting older as well and the love he has for you is most probably not because you have wonderful hair, but everything else which makes you the woman he wanted to be with.

Thank you, I know it sounds silly but it’s the embarrassment really and he always tells me he’d never go anywhere but when your feeling so down it’s hard not to think these things.

It’s a taboo subject for most people, dunno about you girls but when I do venture out I constantly check out other women’s hairlines!

daydreamerin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great! I don't know anyone with hair loss and meanwhile I don't even talk about it anymore.
What is the name of this topical with alfatradiol that you take?

Just let me know when you'll be in Munich! :)
It's called Ell-Cranell alpha. Tbh I think there might be something wrong with my adrenal glands. All my blood work showed very high numbers for androstendione and apparently this can lead to hair loss. I found a doctor specializing in this field and want to call there tomorrow..

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just let me know when you'll be in Munich! :)
It's called Ell-Cranell alpha. Tbh I think there might be something wrong with my adrenal glands. All my blood work showed very high numbers for androstendione and apparently this can lead to hair loss. I found a doctor specializing in this field and want to call there tomorrow..
Oh I know Ell-cranell, I've tried it unfortunately I seem to have an allergy to all these things. Not sure it would help either.
You should try everything possible & never give up.
Let me know how it goes!

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have any of you considered trying some of the alternative treatments the guys are using? It's just awful you ladies are going through this hell sooo young. I dodged the bullet till I turned 49, when my hair started shedding horribly. I'm 55 now and in the homestretch. :( As dark a hole as I'm in, it's a million times worse for young people and just so unfair. My older son's hair loss (and I can see my younger son's hairline going back a bit at only 16) hurts me way more than my own. My husband also didn't start thinning till later in life (he was in his mid-50s). Genes are just so random really.

Sjw1582

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it’s hairwash day. I dread these days. I try so hard not to let it affect me but I can’t help it when I lose so much all at once and then even after my hair is dried they continue to fall at a faster rate for at least a day.
I only wash it twice a week but it’s not like it ever looks any better it’s dry limp and lacking, the parting gets wider and wider and my double crown snakes down the back of my head!

I’m so fed up with feeling this way!! ☹️

sofia

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have any of you considered trying some of the alternative treatments the guys are using? It's just awful you ladies are going through this hell sooo young. I dodged the bullet till I turned 49, when my hair started shedding horribly. I'm 55 now and in the homestretch. :( As dark a hole as I'm in, it's a million times worse for young people and just so unfair. My older son's hair loss (and I can see my younger son's hairline going back a bit at only 16) hurts me way more than my own. My husband also didn't start thinning till later in life (he was in his mid-50s). Genes are just so random really.
Hello Joan,
Thank you for your words.
I don't know really where to get the stuff, how to mix it & so on. Then you have the example of @Georgie, she has tried nearly everything with little success.
I started losing my hair at 36 my husband around the same age but he still has loads, so yes my biggest fear are my children. I can relate to your pain, meanwhile it would hurt me more then my own loss.