Shedding After 4 Years On Finasteride

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @jetlife1 thanks for your feedback!

At the moment I don't have any baseline pics, but my hairline as been almost the same for the last 4,5 years.

About the temples I started using Minoxidil there more vigorously in the last 4 months, I also started using it in the completely bald zones and I started seeing some vellus hairs there (I don't expect them to turn into terminal hairs). I thought that they were looking a little less dense.

The thing is that this shed is really annoying me and sometimes I think that my hair feels thinner... But I guess that I need to wait a few more months. :(

Last edited:

Obey92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @jetlife1 thanks for your feedback!

At the moment I don't have any baseline pics, but my hairline as been almost the same for the last 4,5 years.

About the temples I started using Minoxidil there more vigorously in the last 4 months, I also started using it in the completely bald zones and I started seeing some vellus hairs there (I don't expect them to turn into terminal hairs). I thought that they were looking a little less dense.

The thing is that this shed is really annoying me and sometimes I think that my hair feels thinner... But I guess that I need to wait a few more months. :(

Hi iamgotham!

I recently started on Finasteride, this is my 3rd week. I have no side-effects, using Nizoral 2-3 times a week and i am experiencing a little bit of shedding. Last night i changed my pillow and this morning i see around 10-15 strains on it, which feels like a bit more then usually. Can this be the effect on Finasteride? Producing new hair? Whats your experience the first weeks with finasteride? I really dont want to stop taking finasteride because i am shedding a little bit.. I read that you can shed up from weeks to months and that finasteride is starting to work after 12 months. Whats your story with finasteride? :)

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi iamgotham!

I recently started on Finasteride, this is my 3rd week. I have no side-effects, using Nizoral 2-3 times a week and i am experiencing a little bit of shedding. Last night i changed my pillow and this morning i see around 10-15 strains on it, which feels like a bit more then usually. Can this be the effect on Finasteride? Producing new hair? Whats your experience the first weeks with finasteride? I really dont want to stop taking finasteride because i am shedding a little bit.. I read that you can shed up from weeks to months and that finasteride is starting to work after 12 months. Whats your story with finasteride? :)

Hey @Obey92 ,

As far as I can tell I didn't experienced any initial shed 'cause I was already shedding :p

But try not to freak out in the first couple of months, I just started seeing results after 6 months of using it every day. Just remember, hair loss treatments are a game of patience.

@iamgotham,
Hey

,How's it going with your shedding now? You always take finasteride? Or switch dutasteride ?

Hi @Xxx001,

Still shedding, must not as much though.

Since I started seeing some regrowth in the temples area, I'm keeping the Finasteride. Just added Nizoral (2x week) that I'm now using for two weeks.

I'll wait a couple of months to see how things evolve... But for now I think that Finasteride is doing the job.

My hair loss is kinda of strange, 'cause I'm shedding hair since I was 16... @jetlife1 even said that I might suffer from Chronic Telogen Effluvium (something I didn't even know existed).

Let's see how things go... For now I'm just crossing my fingers for a Follica's release in 2018.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, small update!

I shed a lot less hairs now, and my hair seems to be holding on.

But something weird (or not) happened. My left temple now looks like this:

RF3nUTs

RF3nUTs.png

uzd06Ez.png

UXw9x5D.png

cCFptGs.png

uzd06Ez

(sorry Minoxidil makes my hair greasy)
cCFptGs

My right temple is as was before the shed.

At the moment I feel extremely obsessed about my temples cause I can't style my hair in any way.

Just one more question. I'm 28 years old, is it to stupid to make a hair transplant to fill my hairline and temples?

I'm thinking about trying Dutasteride, but all the reviews that I read about long-term finasteride users that made the switch are far from ideal.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In this picture is more visible. Left temple looking bad as f*ck:

boCOnOQ.jpg

(greasy 'cause I applied Minoxidil moments ago)

Last edited:

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, any advice?

In your opinion, should I give Dutasteride a shot?

resu

Reaction score
Have you tried doing a combover? If you're on meds you're already doing all you can. It's still too diffused to do an hair transplant.

Attachments

• NewCanvas2.jpg
    NewCanvas2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 486

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @resu,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, actually it's how I comb my hair... I try to hide the recession.

In your opinion, do you think that Dutasteride could improve my actual situation?

resu

Reaction score
Hey @resu,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, actually it's how I comb my hair... I try to hide the recession.

In your opinion, do you think that Dutasteride could improve my actual situation?

Some people got great results by combining the two.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people got great results by combining the two.

It's such a tough call to make. After 4,5 years on Finasteride I'm afraid that the switch to Dutasteride makes my hair worse... In some cases you see that this drug can accelerate hair loss but in others works almost miraculously.

I really don't know what to do. Tomorrow I'll have an appointment with a MD and in May with another one to seek some advice.

I'm really tempted to try Dutasteride... Damn!

resu

Reaction score
It's such a tough call to make. After 4,5 years on Finasteride I'm afraid that the switch to Dutasteride makes my hair worse... In some cases you see that this drug can accelerate hair loss but in others works almost miraculously.

I really don't know what to do. Tomorrow I'll have an appointment with a MD and in May with another one to seek some advice.

I'm really tempted to try Dutasteride... Damn!

Keep using finasteride then add 0.5 dutasteride every other day.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
UPDATE

Guys, I quitted Isotretinoin 10mg (3xweek) and I am now using Nizoral 2% (2x week).

Here you can see some photos of my hairline:

NqG3EgU.jpg

gnMKM6H.jpg

gnMKM6H

NqG3EgU

Temples (is this regrowth)?

exbwBVA.jpg

5P2EOol.jpg

exbwBVA

5P2EOol

Your hair does have temple recession

You will definitely go back to Norwood zero in no time!

Stay on treatments!

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol bro you have perfect hair .
Since how long have you been applying to your temple ?
the fact of applying minoxidil to your top didnt cause you a shed ? because i only see a full head of hair .
Maybe propecia alone would have been enough

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
And when you were younger you took oral minoxidil for 3 years ????
your Doctor prescribed it to you , this is kinda crazy !
You didn't have hypertrichosis ? you didn"t shed when you switched to the 5 % formula ?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol bro you have perfect hair .
Since how long have you been applying to your temple ?
the fact of applying minoxidil to your top didnt cause you a shed ? because i only see a full head of hair .
Maybe propecia alone would have been enough

Not perfect my friend... This temple recession is really freaking my out.
I've been using Minoxidil for one year and a half. I apply it in my whole scalp. I detected that my left temple was worse in November 2016, and I've been using it more vigorously there since then.

And when you were younger you took oral minoxidil for 3 years ????
your Doctor prescribed it to you , this is kinda crazy !
You didn't have hypertrichosis ? you didn"t shed when you switched to the 5 % formula ?

Yes. But I was never really disciplined with it... I've probably used it daily for one year and then I would skip some days and in two years I quitted the medication... This was back in 2010. Never had any side effect. Then I just started using topical Minoxidil in September 2015.

Today I had an appointment with a hair transplant MD, that just told me to keep tracking the evolution of my left temple for the next 2 months... Then he will make another evaluation and then we will see if we can do something medication wise. I have some small hairs growing there, but I'm not really positive about them.

My anxiety levels are over the top and I can barely do my normal life without having hairloss in my mind 24/7... I even dream about it. Today I had a really bad day... Cried a lot, a bunch o suicidal toughts is 4 am here in Portugal and I can't even sleep... To be honest my sleep pattern has been a completely mess in the last months.

In a dream scenario this small hairs would turn into terminal hairs, but as I said, I'm not really positive about it.

@resu ,@rclark and @michel sapin , thanks for spending some of your time with this thread, it helps me a lot to share this with other people that can really relate to this situation. I really appreciated it!

Once again, sorry for my bad english guys!

gg9880

Reaction score
hi dude,...
went i read your post its kind like the same happen to me. I do for this treatment about 2 years 10 month til today, but my seems decrease over time, my hairline get hit now and didnt grow back at all...i still continue using finasteride 1,25 mg, minoxidil, ketoconazle shampo...

Plz need your advice to about how i can maintain my hair back the same quality as the first year of threatment...thx for your replies...

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys! I made the switch and I've been taking Dutasteride for the last 41 days. Still shedding hair, not really regrowing any (I only have some vellus hairs on my temples... If I do a pull test they easily come out). Also I'm pretty sure that my hairline it's worse than before. No side effects so far.

Last edited: