Shedding After 4 Years On Finasteride

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys!

First of all, sorry for my rusty english!

So, I've been fighting baldness since I was 20 (been loosing it since 16), now I'm almost 28 and luckily I've been able to keep my hair almost the same.

My sheds are really awkward, I shed tons of hair since I was 16 but my hair loss seems to progress really slowly, I had some temple/front recession back then but nothing to alarming.

2009: When I was 20, I was getting worried about my hair loss, 'cause I was shedding like crazy (600 hairs daily or more). The shed came after a big stupid diet that I made, I was almost not eating at all. I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me some oral Minoxidil. My hair stayed the same for the next 3 years, I was shedding a lot less hair and had some regrowth (I was even able to grow my hair long).

2012/2013: Then again, at 23 I decided to jump on Finasteride, and I was shocked... My hair loss stopped almost completely (I could see only 3 or 4 hairs on the shower) and I had some extra regrowth.

2015/2016: Last year I noticed some hair falling, and I went to a new dermatologist and he prescribed me topical Minoxidil. I had a impressive amount of regrowth, and probably from January to August of 2016 I had the best head of hair I ever had.

Late 2016: In September I was seeing some hair falling out, but since during all my life I always shed hair I thought that this was normal. In November I was not feeling well, the shedding continued and I decided to get to my Dermatologist. Unfortunately my hairline started creeping back again.

June 2017: I made the switch and I've been taking Dutasteride for the last 41 days (started in April). Still shedding hair, not really regrowing any (I only have some vellus hairs on my temples... If I do a pull test they easily come out). Also I'm pretty sure that my hairline it's worse than before. No side effects so far.

August 2018: So guys, small update on this situation. After almost 2 years since I made the original post I must say that my hair is practically the same. I quitted Dutasteride because it was just too much (I was taking it everyday - don't know if the sides were real or if it was just all in my head), I'm still taking Finasteride (daily) and I apply Minoxidil every night, I also keep using the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo.

I grew my hair long, and I was just trying to not focus too much in my hair. I've always shed since I was 14 years old - I'm 29 -, I don't know if my hair cycles are really short, or if it's just a combination of factors (people say that persons with curly hair shed a lot more).

Now here's the tricky part. In the last two months I've been experience massive stress (again!), my grandpa died, my dad had a uncessefull back surgery, I met this girl that is completely messing with my head and then I got chickenpox (I never had it when I was a kid).

During the chickenpox episode I had really high fevers, and I noticed that my hair started to shed a lot more. I can easily loose 100 hairs in the shower and it's super weird, 'cause once again I shed a lot on the nape area and in the back of the ears, I can easily take 10 hairs in one pull test in that area... They come off with the white Keratin bulb (not a huge one, just a regular small one). In the top of my head the shed is just the regular one, not really noticeable.

Also, in the same month of the chickenpox I started taking this anti-depressant called Wellbutrin... My apetite disappeared, I lost 10kg in one month and my anxiety went through the roof.

September 2018: So, things are getting really bad.

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with mono, and the hair in the back of my head (nape) is falling like crazy! I can easily take 150 hairs out in 5 or 6 pull tests in that region.

During this week I stopped took a break from Finasteride, since I thought that I could give my body a small break in order for him to recover from this damn virus. I pretend to start taking finasteride again on Monday.

This is definitely not a normal shed... I'm just praying for things to get back to normal. I'm already taking a vitamin hair complex, since my doctors told me that this shedding is probably related with the fact that my body is weak after all this viruses.

This is so frustrating... Between July and September I had chicken pox and mono... DAMN! Since then my hair is falling like crazy! I easily shed 600 hairs a day.

Thanks so much for your time!

Actual regime:

- Finasteride 1mg (1x daily);
- Minoxidil 5% (1x daily);
- Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo (1x daily);

Sorry for the long post guys :)

Last edited:

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, I gonna try to help you even if it is not an easy question...

Globally I have had the same path as you. Studies show that both finasteride and minoxidil loose some kind of effectiveness with time.
It DOES NOT mean that they are not working anymore, is just that we get older maybe hair become more sensitive and that hairloss can still progress.

But it will progress at a MUCH smaller rate that if you were taking nothing.
Continue your treatment, this is the best thing to do.

You can switch to dutasteride. It it prooved to be more effecive.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is a normal part of the hair cycle. Seasonal shedding is also a thing, but is usually temporary. According to your doctor, your hair is not getting any worse on finasteride and has actually improved since last year. I would stay on it if you want to keep your hair.

As long as you are on finasteride, shedded hair will grow back. Maybe even thicker and healthier.

@julien1200 finasteride has been proven to be more effective with time according to the 10 year study. I'm sure this goes for dutasteride as well. It takes time to regrow hair just like it takes time to lose hair if you aren't taking medication.

Xxx001

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have the answer in your question.

"Last year was a really stressful year for me, I was working in two places (one full-time and other part-time) and studying to finish my Master's degree (I had a lot of exams). Also my grandma died, my mom had a surgery and I ended a long-term relationship;"

Your shedding is caused by telogen effluvium.(stress,anxious etc)

Stay on finasteride + add nizoral for oily scalp.

I have the same problem, i shed a lot of hair, because bad sleep + stress + anxious.

And i am on finasteride + minoxidil + nizoral btw.

I have a question, do you loose hairs on back + sides on your head ?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback :)

@julien1200 do you know any cases of long-term Finasteride users that saw good results after switching from finasteride to dutasteride?

@jetlife1 is it normal if your hair also looks worse? I think that my hairline looks a little bit worse (but I can also be a little bit paranoid). Do you believe in stress induced sheeding?

@Xxx001 I loose some, but not at the same rate as I loose on the top of my head (but my hair is shorter on the sides/back). Why do you ask? :)

As always, sorry for my rusty English!

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man,

Stress induced hair loss is definitely a thing! The good think is that it is not permanent. It is important for you to monitor your hair with pictures so you know if it is actually looking worse. Some months my hairline looks better than others, but when it looks a little worse I understand that the hair is being shedded to most likely grow back longer, thicker, and more like a terminal hair with the influence of finasteride. According to the professional medical studies done on the drug, this is normal.

I don't have the experience of switching from finasteride to dutasteride because my hair looks good thanks to finasteride, but if you see that your hair is really getting worse over time then maybe it is the right move.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once again @jetlife1 thanks for your feedback! :)

I will follow you advice and take some photos of my hairline. I'll wait until March to see how things develop and then I will decide where to go next. I already have some hairs growing in my hairline, but let's wait and see.

Also I really need to relax a little bit, stress is really affecting me. :(

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stress is really an horrible thing , each times i experienced stress my scalp itch like crazy .
if you responded well to fina , i wouldn't add duta, you could experiment bad sides

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @Xxx001 I'm definitely loosing hairs on back + sides of my head. Is this a sign of something else?

Xxx001

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @iamgotham

If I asked the question.

This is because by performing a traction test or pinch test, in the neck or the sides and you manage to dislodge several hair (with the white bulb of keratin) several times in a row.

There is a high probability that it is an effluvium telogen or effluvium telogen chronic.

Stress and anxiety or depression, is a factor.
And in relation to your story, I'm almost sure it is that.

Another sign of stress can be the shape of your hair that you lose, whether they are damaged or with an irregular keratin.

I have the same problem and I am under fina + nizoral.

Hoping I could help

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @Xxx001,

Once again, thanks for your feedback! :)

I get a little worried 'cause I see some good hairs (quality wise) falling, they usually come out with that white bulb. I need to calm down a little bit, but shedding makes me feel really anxious.

Well, I will wait for the next months to see how things develop!

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Just a small update:

- I see some regrow on the temples;
- Hairline not looking any better;
- Shedding less hairs, the one's that fall are miniaturized or smaller hairs (length), but the long ones don't shed;
- I'm stopping the Isotretinoin dose, my hair falls a lot more in the following day after using the drug (switching to Nizoral to control the sebum);

Since I think that my hairline is looking a little bit worse (not really sure) I will probably make the switch from Finasteride to Dutasteride, but I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Also check my thread about switching from finasteride to dutasteride, I'm trying to get some advice from long-term Finasteride users that made the switch: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...teride-ex-long-term-finasteride-users.103705/

As always, thank you for your patience and sorry for my bad English! :)

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man I guess you really can't go wrong with dutasteride since it works by the same mechanism as finasteride but inhibits even more of 5AR. If you do make the switch, expect a temporary shed that could last months, similar to the one when starting finasteride. If you want a very long term finasteride user switching to dutasteride you can follow Spex's story who was on finasteride for 17 years with great success: http://www.hairestorationetwork.com/eve/185590-im-changing-finasteride-upping-juice-dutasteride.html

However, I really think the shedding is not a bad sign especially if you are using an antiandrogen and minoxidil. finasteride works by kicking out the miniaturizing hair and making them grow back thicker, but in the end it is your decision. Can't really judge your situation without pics.

Best of luck to you and whatever you choose!

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @jetlife1 thanks for you answer! :)

I will try to wait until mid-march to make an evaluation of my situation and then I will see if I should jump on the dutasteride train or not, but I must say that at this moment I'm really tempted.

About this sentence: "finasteride works by kicking out the miniaturizing hair and making them grow back thicker (...)"

In your opinion, would this happen even after 4,5 years using the drug?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UPDATE

Guys, I quitted Isotretinoin 10mg (3xweek) and I am now using Nizoral 2% (2x week).

Here you can see some photos of my hairline:

NqG3EgU.jpg

gnMKM6H.jpg

gnMKM6H

NqG3EgU

Temples (is this regrowth)?

exbwBVA.jpg

5P2EOol.jpg

exbwBVA

5P2EOol

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @michel sapin, I'm just trying to maintain until a new treatment comes along :)

I apply Minoxidil on the whole scalp.

Also, after seeing my pics, do you see any signs of regrowth?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you apply minoxidil to your crown because you were thinning there ?
Propecia give you hairline regrowth?
Because i just see a great head of hair bro

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I apply Minoxidil in my crown because I was thinning a little bit there (nothing special).

Propecia thickened my hair and I had some improvement in my hair line, but it only filled a little bit in areas like this one:

3ejpNNI.jpg

I would like to see if I could fill this area a little bit. And since I'm shedding a little (everytime I pass my hand trough my hair I can find 1 hair) I am thinking about using Dutasteride.

I don't know if this is a seasonal shed, or something related to stress as @jetlife1 said, but is really getting me obsessed about it.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any baseline pics? Hair looks really good so I would recommend staying on finasteride because it seems it has worked well for you! Is it possible that the miniaturization in your temple can be regrowth? Pictures from baseline would help determining this. If so, it may continue to go through shed cycles and grow back thicker and more terminal over time. Only way to tell is be patient and keep taking an antiandrogen.