shaving head and wigs

harpie83

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried shaving their head? is it better regrowth? i guess this is not a relevant question to aplopecia suffers but what about others? I am suffering from trich. Trich is a condition where you have urges to pull your hair. I had been doing that for a long time but have finally stopped now because of the fear of losing all my hair. I have now decided to shave my head and get a wig. Now that is something that I am worried about. Are there any wig wearers out there? What kind of wig is the best so that it looks real and does not cause problems such as when its windy. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

mcmurraymama

Reaction score
wigs & hairpieces

In regards to the wigs & hairpieces, if you consider ordering online, re-consider. My daughter ordered a wig and a hairpiece from the Jessica Simpson line and when it came, it was so-o-o-o big you could fit two heads inside it. The hairpiece was also so big it looked ridiculous when she tried to pin it into her hair. When she tried to return both pieces, they refused to refund her money or let her order another product equal to the money she had already spent. Definitely a buyer beware situation! Go to a reputable company recommended by your hairdresser and don't go for the cheapest ones. They tend to look really awful. Good Luck!

dreamsoflivin

Reaction score
I have Alopecia Totalis and since 1985 I have always shaved my head to wear a wig. It doesnt promote hairgrowth to shave it. For some there baldness can be treated or slowed, for some there isnt a cure for today , but we have options on how we live with baldness.

The funny thing about wigs is you have thousands to choose from. You have price ranges from 20 bucks up to 2000.00.

Wigs come in all flavors ....just most of us do not know this or my thought of thinking was I could have something other than a wefted wig but at what cost. And for many many years I knew nothing about wigs other than a wefted machined sewen wig. I am learning about other options, and I am very excited for the future in how I live with my baldness.

There is tons of support, compaines, manufactures, they pretty much offer the same, What 99 percent dont offer is the understanding of what it is like to be bald. My problem in finding wigs is fit and comfort and price. But I have found that anyone can have a custom fitting wig or hairpiece at an affordable price. We just arent educated in the right directions. Bewear of the wolfs. There out there for your money. Not your concern of living with baldness...Blessings

lizard

Reaction score
if you find any good wig sites or names of wig makers that are comfortable please help i need some resources and like many i know nothing about what im looking for.ive bought a few cheap wigs and have NEVER worn them at all. i hate the way they look on me i look fake. 8) 8)

dreamsoflivin

Reaction score
Dear Liz,

I am learning about other options myself other than wefted wigs or full lace bonded systems. There are many many options for us living with long term baldness. Right now I wear a full lace cap that has to be bonded with tape or glue and the cost is around 200 for my 16 inch hair. There is no other company that will offer these types of caps at this price, Most will start around 500 and up. http://www.toplace is where I order and have viewed or tried several compaines that offer these type of bases.

It will depend on what type of wig or cap you are wanting, and what will fit your lifestyle. You can have options of wefted wigs or caps that fit snug to your head.

If you give me some ideal of what type of design and and what price range you are seeking I will do what I can to help you with more information.

http://www.heralopecia is a great place to learn about haircovering

http://www.toplace.com is a great board forum to learn about toppers

msn has a support group but to me they support wefted wigs and compaines that or out of my price range. You might find some information there about wigs if you want to go that route

yahoo has a alopecia support group....a slow group but wondeful people there.

These are a few groups that I keep check on there are tons just do a google search for either lace hair systems or wigs or alopecia

http://www.wikipedia.com is a great site to learn about hair, wigs, alopecia, and many other information you would like to search.

Just let me know if I can help Blessings Cin

dreamsoflivin

Reaction score
What is your experience with wigs?

Hi ladies, I am at a point in my life where the last 4 years I have been wearing a bonded piece. Its awesome and probly of anything I have ever worn it allowed me to live a normal life. I had hair 24/7. There is tons of research in finding a cure, but for me I feel there is little education on how to cover up my bald head with something other than a wefted wig, ballcap or scarf, and than people knowing there opitons on things such as permeant makeup to replace eyebrows. I am ready for a change.

I know from learning that women and men have a great selection when it comes to toppers or topees. In learning about what others do I think these guys have done one awesome job when it comes to natural and comfortable pieces and at prices that the everday person can afford. I commend them all.

Right now I am going through a phase of not bonding and wanting to go bald around the house and just enjoy some headbreathing LOL.

But what I find now is how uncomfortable a wig truely is. I visit several support groups and read daily of the disadvantages of wefted wigs from others and also what I experience has me asking why there isnt better solutions for us in full cap wigs. Wigs are great, but to me they are not for someone who lives with baldness for 20 years.

I want A cap that fits sung to my head, A cap that doesnt slide around, A cap that is lightweight lace instead of mono.A cap that has full lace instead of sewen wefts. But can be worn with little or no bonding. A cap that allows me some freedom from the baggy wefts and bulk , itchy material of mono, and a cap that I can wash more often than once every two weeks. I have searched many compaines that offer so called medical wigs and compaines that have hair peices for 1000s. I would like to educate myself more on other options and feel that there is.

I would truely like some imput and wonder if anyone else is interested in this option or if I am asking for to much. I am hoping to experince some new options I have found and feel what I am wanting it total possible. But would like to have some imput on what others truely feel. Thanks so much. Blessings Cin