Shaved my Head -- then started Propecia - 3 Month Update

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
MSM was just irritating my stomach. I pop 1 every couple days, just not everyday.

I'd also still like to note small hairs underneath the normal hair. Probably 1/8th of an inch, slowly growing it appears.

Da Bears

Reaction score
Nice, I have the same thing with tons of smaller hairs coming in under my hair. I also have them in my hairline and hope they continue to move down. I have posted my pics in the success forum since I think I have been making some progress.

Also, did you use the MSM tablets or the powder? I got the powder from GNC and mix it in my whey protein shake that I take when I work out. It has not really messed with my stomach, I would suggest giving it a try!

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
I take 1800 mg of MSM with 1000 mg of vit C each in the morning and at night... The only complaint is that I pass gas more often. Hasn't hurt my stomach yet, unlike saw palmetto. Everytime I took that pill my stomach aches (pulsates) for awhile. So I quit that.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Be careful of the powder though, taste god awful...i mixed it with some OJ thinking that should deal with the nasty taste, didn't work

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Petch, I've been taking the powder (about 3mL each time) just stirred in a glass of warm water. At first I couldn't stand the bitterness, but after awhile it grew on me and now I don't even notice...

Petchsky

Reaction score
You're a braver man than me then :crazy:

Da Bears

Reaction score
I cannot even taste the powder when mixed in the protein shake. I mix in a 1/2 teaspoon which is 2000MG with 20oz water and 2 scoops of whey protein. Give it a try sometime, I think you will be surprised!

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
Update --

Just over 4 months in on the propecia. My hair is longer than I've had it since the beginning. I will try to take a pic or two soon. I just ordered another 3 month supply.

In the last 2 days I've experienced some light shedding in the shower. I can see a few hairs in the foam of the shampoo. This might just be visible because my hair is longer now (about 1 inch), or a shed. They appear to be fine wispy hairs.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
fromchicago, since your hairline is intact and you arer diffuse balding. It doesn't look like male pattern baldness to me. I'd highly recommend that you get your thyroid & other tests done just to rule out other causes.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Be careful of the powder though, taste god awful...i mixed it with some OJ thinking that should deal with the nasty taste, didn't work

Just mix it with water and slam it down your throat for Godsakes Petchsky. Come on now man!! :)

When you get used to that method, then try NAC mixed with water. :shock:

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should fire some hairglue in that and spike it up once it gets to a number4 grade or so. I find it masks the diffuse thinning look very well, just make sure you only use a small amount of it.

-DH

Petchsky

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Petchsky said:

Just mix it with water and slam it down your throat for Godsakes Petchsky. Come on now man!! :)

When you get used to that method, then try NAC mixed with water. :shock:

Capsules for me from now on! :)

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
goata007 said:
fromchicago, since your hairline is intact and you arer diffuse balding. It doesn't look like male pattern baldness to me. I'd highly recommend that you get your thyroid & other tests done just to rule out other causes.

I'm confused by the whole thing myself. I always hear the hairline is the most sensitive to DHT -- but my hairline is fine. My hair is looking pretty nice lately, so I'm going to keep at the Propecia. I think my cowlick is just large and spread in back -- not tight like some people have.

So, I should just go to my GP and ask for my thyroid to be tested?

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
I almost feel like my hair looks similar to John Mayer's when short (and people say he doesn't have male pattern baldness):

blog300708_jen.jpg

There are other photos of him with the same hair and his hair looks thick as a rock though...

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
it's been a while since an update. things have thickened up pretty great -- i don't really think about it any more.

it's been 9 months. it's worked. I don't have a camera any more -- well have the camera, lost the battery..

hello

Reaction score
sorry just skimmed the thread but, did you go through a shed?

i'm in a similar position, just wanna maintain and taking 0.5 mg finasteride per day... do you have to go through a shed for success? thanks

Hecfield

Reaction score
Hey man, don't know if I'm the only one but I think the shaved head suits you better. One of few (lucky) people who that works for. Congrats.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I typically do a buzz @ #6, then let it grow out for a 5 weeks, then repeat.

No real shed that I can tell.