SHAVED HEAD EXPERIENCES

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
So, how does the shaved head look work for you? Have you done it?

How did you decide just to finally do it?

How is your body type?

Do you think you look good with the shaved head?

Who here has shaved it without being a big and bulked up?

How did people react?

Were you finally satisfied with your looks when you shaved it, or did you freak out and think "this is the bigest mistake ever!!! I should have just used the treatments despite there side affects, and tried to keep my hair!!!"

I want all information. Every detail.

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes i have shaved it with a razor, ( MAch3). Some days i thought it looked ok, other days I think it looked retarded. Then again ,I had those thoughts about myself from time to time when I had hair.

I shaved my head because i figured one day that look would be inevitable and i wanted to prepare myself, I guess.

They say I bigger guy pulls off the bald look better than anyone else. Im a bit bigger at 223 pounds and I work out, so I guess I can pull it off to a degree. A nice summer tan helps BIG TIME.

Some people liked it, while others said I looked "too intimadating." Most people were surprised and wanna touch it. Of coarse, it doesnt really matter what other people think, as its you, that lives in the body with the soon to be bald head, so get used to it.

Im on treatments, so I cant regret not taking them.

The only thing that really sucks, is the constant cold breeze you feel along the sides of your head.Thats the only time I missed my hair because i realized how much it holds in heat. In the summer, I stopped thinking about the fact that my head was shaved.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Healthy Nick said:
So, how does the shaved head look work for you? Have you done it?

How did you decide just to finally do it?

How is your body type?

Do you think you look good with the shaved head?

Who here has shaved it without being a big and bulked up?

How did people react?

Were you finally satisfied with your looks when you shaved it, or did you freak out and think "this is the bigest mistake ever!!! I should have just used the treatments despite there side affects, and tried to keep my hair!!!"

I want all information. Every detail.

i have shaved my head and it worked just fine for me. when i say shaved, i don't mean i took a razor to it. i buzzed it with clippers using the lowest attachment setting.

i decided to shave it after seeing my hairline continue to go back, and running out of hair to "cover up" my recceding hair line. i still have enough hair to do it, but it took some time. i was tired of buying consealer products such as toppik, and thought that just shaving it off would be the cheapest route. add up the cost of hair transplant, drugs like propecia, rogain, etc and fighting hairloss can get expensive.

my body type is tall and thin. most people don't see my balding crown because i'm 6 ' 2 , by my hair line is noticable. i think i look just as good with my hair shaved. hell, the comb over look many of us use to save our hairlines doesn't look great at all. but it gives us a false sense of security.

i don't understand why people say shave it when your big and bulked up. i'm tall and thin and have seen other thin guys shave their head (balding and non-balding people).

people just asked me why i shaved it and i had fun with them telling them "i lost a bet!" then i said the truth , that i was tired of dealing with it. it's so nice not to spend so long fixing it up so perfect, covering all the balding spots etc.

it was weird at first but you get used to it. my brother cut it for me and we were cautious. he started with the # 4 attachment, then #3... until we got to the lowest one, #1. that's as low as i wanted my hair, and we stopped there. i recommed you not shave it off completely with a razor your first attempt. i don't think i ever will do this unless i am at norwood level 6 - 7.

after shaving my head, it looks so much better. the hairline is recceding, but it blends nicely. the hair is so easy take care of now. i recommed you at least try it once, but be cautious as to how low you cut it. i made a list of pro's vs con's of shaving my head. the list of pro's was much longer than the con's. so i did it!

good luck.

johndekay

Reaction score
I shaved my head about 2 months ago

I feel very positive about it, but i am a diffuse thinner and have noticed that the horseshoe is starting to show...

It has made me very positive and confident - dont have to worry about combing ur hair to try and cover certain areas, dont see these disgusting hairs everywhere (although they are still coming out)

its a natural thing i guess. It would more disgusting to see a guy who has obviously lost most of his hair but still had it longish... still trying his hardest to hold onto something that is long gone

you dont have to wear a hat all the time anymore... and the shaved head look is professionaly/socailly acceptable (although one girl said she doesnt like the shaved head look - oh well)

I had noticed looks from older women (30s) - yummy mummys mmmm....

hehe

but if you decide it should be for you, not for the girls or for the friends blah blah... I dont think i look too ugly or strange with a shaved head.. and soon i will need to come to accept a chrome dome anyway, so this is the natural progression i suppose. Of course it would be nice to have longer hair...

but lets face it we are LOSING hair, whats done is done, whats lost is lost. Why try ur hardest to WILL something that is gone - use that effort to make the best of what you have - at least you are then guaranteed to get results.

good luck with everyones regimen though. Hope you all see some good results soon.

hopewas

Reaction score
from what i hear..most people that shave their heads have to go tan it to get an even color and have to lotion it all the time. i'm definitely not looking forward to it. my hair grows pretty fast..it'll suck having to shave my head every two days when my hairloss becomes noticible. i'm naturally tan and built ..maybe i'll look ok with a bald head. but i hope i don't have to come to that for a long time

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
im wondering what id look like with a shaved head. if u still have hair on top of ur head, but its gotten thinnish and scalp is showing (not a lot, but enough to not b totally coverable from above), and ur a diffuse thinner, how short do u have to shave it to hide ur thinning? i remember about 1 1/2 year ago i shaved a number 3 all over and the top showed a tiny bit thinning but nothing really noticeable. wouldi have to go to a 2? or 1 or 0?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Perhaps shaving ones' head will give you this effect??

rogaineshop_1769_4650413

johndekay

Reaction score
well i wish it does...

i used a guard number 2 and shaved all over, but will probably need to do guard one soon as the top is thinning and when it grows back it is visible (to me) that the sides are thicker than the top - which looks strange

I have a shaver kit at home anyway (as my bro used to shave his head all the time - no he has not lost a single hair in his life, very bushy hair that bastard !!) so i guess its not expensive, but is a hassle to shave it at least every 3-4 weeks.

To be honest i have seen some great looking shaved heads - but to be realistic it is not everyones cup of tea, not everyone can pull it off. But in my opinion whats disgusting about balding is when people try and cover it up with longish hair, etc. That look makes it obvious to others that the problem of balding goes deeper, and I guess just says that this person is not ready to accept balding. You dont fool anyone with a combover except yourself.

I guess another big thing that got me to do it was that I came to the point that - well I'm trying my hardest, going through all this uncertainty, being afraid of the wind messing up the parts of hair that are covering the thin spots, wearing hats nearly everyday, seeing long strands of yucky hair everywhere... My hair was flat, oily and just gross. So i decided to shave it.

err... thats it i guess. Any questions ?

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
I would look like a chemo patient that had been diagnosed with Mono, Aids, and had not been allowed to see the light of day in years. In other words I would look like Casper the friendly ghost.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
johndekay said:
well i wish it does...

i used a guard number 2 and shaved all over, but will probably need to do guard one soon as the top is thinning and when it grows back it is visible (to me) that the sides are thicker than the top - which looks strange

I have a shaver kit at home anyway (as my bro used to shave his head all the time - no he has not lost a single hair in his life, very bushy hair that bastard !!) so i guess its not expensive, but is a hassle to shave it at least every 3-4 weeks.

To be honest i have seen some great looking shaved heads - but to be realistic it is not everyones cup of tea, not everyone can pull it off. But in my opinion whats disgusting about balding is when people try and cover it up with longish hair, etc. That look makes it obvious to others that the problem of balding goes deeper, and I guess just says that this person is not ready to accept balding. You dont fool anyone with a combover except yourself.

I guess another big thing that got me to do it was that I came to the point that - well I'm trying my hardest, going through all this uncertainty, being afraid of the wind messing up the parts of hair that are covering the thin spots, wearing hats nearly everyday, seeing long strands of yucky hair everywhere... My hair was flat, oily and just gross. So i decided to shave it.

err... thats it i guess. Any questions ?

havent got a photo of ur hair have u? just wondering how low i might need to shave it if i did to cover the thinning. would b easier if i had something to compare to. does ur thinning show at all once uve shaved urs down to a number 2?

fuzbucket

Established Member
Reaction score
i shaved it as short as i can go without looking like a chemo patient..... about razor setting 1 on the sides and like 4 or 5 on the top? it doesn't look very good because i have a long head... so the way i cut it makes my head look longer..... and u can see through my scalp Norwood.... but it is more comfortable and less work..... but i'd rather do whatever impresses the girls so i'll let it grow again....

johndekay

Reaction score
Photos... i will be taking photos as soon as i start on minoxidil (to see progress etc)

hopefully i can get some regrowth... but... if that doesnt happen then i guess Ill have to go the mach 3

When i first shaved it I was really happy.. the thinning was not noticeable (except at very close range) but about two months down the track I have noticed that it is noticeable, especially under light. From the side, in darker light or from a half a metre, it is not noticeable that I am thinning, but its continuing and I would like to see if I respond to treatments...

If your thinning isnt too bad, then what will happen is that it will blend with the other good parts. That was what it was like for me in the first month. (and now to a degree) But if you are like me, and are sick of doing all this extra, meaningless, degrading effort to hopefully 'cover up' thinning, then I would strongly suggest you give shaving a go.

Lets face it guys. Unless they come up with a cure, we will eventually all be bald. When I start to have bald spots, there is NO WAY i will be trying to cover them up with a fewl measly, oily gross strands. I might as well shave it now and get used to it.

Did my thinning show...? Well the mature hairline did... but i think the shaved head actually compliments that... But yes, under bright light the thinning does show.

you know the actor in lock stock and snatch? Thats who I aspire to be like :)

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
im wondering if my thinning would show if i did a number 1 all over. it prob would at least under bright light. having just had a haircut, i can say my thinning if moderately bad. still have hair everywhere on the head, but even when my hair is combed flat u can c through to the scalp a fair bit :(

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is some pictures that shows how short I need to buzz my hair to make the thinning "not so obvious", the hair is about 3-4 mm long. Of course you can still tell that I´m thinning but its not THAT obvious.

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stu ... /my_photos

No one has made any negative comments about my buzzed hair so far and I have the same success with women as before i buzzed ..(no women before and no women after :D ) and also my girlfriend thinks it look good.

I really think that everybody can pull the buzzed look off if you still have a good amount of hair left on your head (regardless of headshape and stuff like that . I for example have a forehead the size of a movie screen).

If you shave it completly off with a razorblade its harder. Only a few can do so and still look good IMO.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
odb said:
Here is some pictures that shows how short I need to buzz my hair to make the thinning "not so obvious", the hair is about 3-4 mm long. Of course you can still tell that I´m thinning but its not THAT obvious.

No one has made any negative comments about my buzzed hair so far and I have the same success with women as before i buzzed ..(no women before and no women after :D ) and also my girlfriend thinks it look good.

I really think that everybody can pull the buzzed look off if you still have a good amount of hair left on your head (regardless of headshape and stuff like that . I for example have a forehead the size of a movie screen).

If you shave it completly off with a razorblade its harder. Only a few can do so and still look good IMO.

wow! that look really suits u and looks good. ne pictures of ur hair before u buzzed it? just thinking along the lines of how i would look buzzed real short. u sure ur hairs 3-4mm long? looks a lot shorter. also, can u say what u think counts as a good amount of hair on ur head. from ur photo it looks like if u grew it out ud have a thick head of hair on top?

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
odb said:

wow! that look really suits u and looks good. ne pictures of ur hair before u buzzed it? just thinking along the lines of how i would look buzzed real short. u sure ur hairs 3-4mm long? looks a lot shorter. also, can u say what u think counts as a good amount of hair on ur head. from ur photo it looks like if u grew it out ud have a thick head of hair on top?

Younguy_uk I´ve uploaded a pic of me with longer hair...

its the only pic I found on my computer ( Im at work right now ) of me with longer hair . And LOL ..the hairstyle I have in the pic is actually a combover. But you cant tell that, can you? :), but it was really thinning all over but especially in the front and at the crown.

If I look at the creation date of the file it says Dec 2 2002 and i believe I buzzed my hair in the beginning of June 2003 and I was shocked of how thin my hair looked. But now its a lot thicker thanks to propecia.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
Dude you've seen some impressive progress over 3 months. Nice work.

During month 2 to 4 I saw some real improvement, I am almost 6 months into treatment now and in the last 2 months I´ve seen no more improvement :-x , its been stable.

One good thing I´ve noticed though is I remember somewhere around month 3, if I pulled my hair 3 to 4 hairs would come out EVERY time I tried . I sh*t my pants and promised myself I would never pull my hair again :D . Well a few days ago I tried it again anyway and this time NO hairs came out. It was a great feeling!

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
odb said:
youngguy_uk said:
odb said:

Younguy_uk I´ve uploaded a pic of me with longer hair...

its the only pic I found on my computer ( Im at work right now ) of me with longer hair . And LOL ..the hairstyle I have in the pic is actually a combover. But you cant tell that, can you? :), but it was really thinning all over but especially in the front and at the crown.

If I look at the creation date of the file it says Dec 2 2002 and i believe I buzzed my hair in the beginning of June 2003 and I was shocked of how thin my hair looked. But now its a lot thicker thanks to propecia.

u dont look thinning at all with longer hair! how did it look up close and from above. how much scalp coverage did u have.