Shave Off More Hair To Fit A Bigger Piece?

John87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, so I’ll introduce myself first:
I’m 31 and have been a NW2-NW3 the last 10 years. First noticed my hair loss when I was 17 (in fact my hairdresser did). I didn’t do anything about it apart from taking finasteride for a few years from 19-21 without any success. When I started at uni I got a small piece to only cover my receding hairline and temples, and have been using it since. It’s a poly piece from Contactskin, and even if it’s far from perfect it has worked for me.

As my hair loss is progressing very slowly the piece has pretty much been the same size and U-shape these years, but I’m now starting to be a bit concerned about my natural thinning hair in the middle of the front, which makes it harder to hide the “edge” between the piece and my natural hair.
So I have a few questions:

1. Should I shave off the hair between my two temples and wear a slightly larger piece? Anyone been in my situation? Any pros and cons with doing so?

2. I’ve never tried a lace piece, and would absolutely love to have a hair where I don’t need to be too concerned about my hairline. Would a small lace piece be appropriate in my situation, or will it be difficult to attach a small lace piece compared to a small poly? Maybe a hybrid?

3. Does anyone have a suggestion on were to order a good quality piece from?

Thanks,

John

Noah

Reaction score
Hi John

I'm not entirely sure I understand. Which way does the U-shape sit. Do you have a tuft of hair in front of the piece?

Lace pieces are great for hairlines, and not any more fiddly than other base materials. If you haven't tried one before, I think you will be impressed at how good they can look. I know a few guys who have used small frontal strips and patches along the lines you are describing.

I will PM you some thoughts on suppliers.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. One system always easier to handle than two. You don't need to worry as much about symmetry, and making sure you are fitting the little pieces properly. The logical answer is, shave it, and wear a single unit. I don't see any cons in this one.

2. You can get a totally realistic hairline with lace. If you don't want a style that exposes your hairline, then you are probably much better off, as you can probably get away with taping the entire system. I actually am now using tape, even with an exposed hairline. It's about what you need. I live in an area that is really hot, must of the year, and I perspire, poly is a no-go for me. Also, you tend to get the best longevity from lace.

3. Where do you live, and are you willing to travel? PM me with the info., and I will respond with what I know. @Noah is also a good source.

Best,

Steve

John87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick! Thank you guys for taking your time helping me out.

Sorry for my bad explanation, I’m really not that good in writing English. My current system is U-shaped meaning it basically only covers my receding hairline moving it about 1-2 inch forward (narrower in the middle).
I’ve never shaved anything off in order to wear my hair system, so it feels like a big step for some reason.

I’ll send you a PM @BaldBearded

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick! Thank you guys for taking your time helping me out.

Sorry for my bad explanation, I’m really not that good in writing English. My current system is U-shaped meaning it basically only covers my receding hairline moving it about 1-2 inch forward (narrower in the middle).
I’ve never shaved anything off in order to wear my hair system, so it feels like a big step for some reason.

I’ll send you a PM @BaldBearded

OK! I will wait to hear from you.

S.