Serious Shock Loss After Fut Very Worried

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am super worried because I seem to have been victim to the dreaded shock loss after having my first FUT surgery at the end of June.

The hair on my crown used to be thin, which is why I got the surgery, but it wasnt at a stage yet where I had to consider shaving it off or anything. In fact you wouldnt be able to tell how bad it was unless you were looking at me form above, or there was a bright light on my head. With a bit of concealer spray you couldnt see it at all.

I had 3,500 grafts. The surgeon (Dr Krishna from Ziering Medical) didnt even cut my hair so the idea was I would be able to hide the fact I had done it by wearing a hat for a bit and then eventually the new hairs would start coming in.

I never thought it would be like this, that I have had a big hair loss which now has made it look like its all come out over night and it is completely obvious. I keep looking in the mirror in shock because Im staring back at a new person that I hate! I dont know what it is. Is it because I stopped taking minoxidil for 4 weeks? My notes given to me on post care by the surgery said dont use it for 2 weeks but I waited 4 weeks as I was going through a rough patch and wasnt looking after myself very well.

Ive never used anything else for hair loss. Or is it shock loss caused by the surgery? Will this hair lost come back? I feel like I looked way better before the surgery and its accelerated everything. I spoke to my surgeon and he just fobbed me off saying everything was fine "dont worry" its fine. It was a quick call.

I spoke to my consultant next who said it must be shock loss. No one there ever mentioned anything like this to me before I went ahead with it. I have an appointment with another surgeon at the same place next week, as mine is on holiday where I can ask questions and find out more.

Just wondering what your experiences have been? Is this normal. What do I do?

Ive uploading some pics I know their pretty terrible, the one in sunglasses is a month or 2 before the surgery. And theres ones before and after surgery. I dont think they capture it well but trust me Ive lost so much hair.

Thanks

Attachments

• Photo 02-08-2018, 00 12 16.jpg
    Photo 02-08-2018, 00 12 16.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 3,288
  • Photo 16-08-2018, 21 08 59.jpg
    Photo 16-08-2018, 21 08 59.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,498
Last edited:

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
3500 grafts is a lot to place in an area, so it appears it is shock loss. I had some shock loss too, and once the new grafts start to grow in, the shock loss will go away. In three months you should see the start of new growth, and the only thing you could do is go on finasteride to prevent any more loss.

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

When you say the shock loss will go away, do you mean that those hairs lost through shock loss will grow back? Or that the loss will stop.

Im still losing hairs every day.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The hairs will grow back, once the transplant starts to come in. In 5 months you should be back to normal, or possibly sooner. My transplant started to show growth in a little over 3 months.

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im always stayed away from taking propecia or finasteride because of the sexual side effects. I know a fried who had bad problems with it and I just don't want to risk it.

I dont understand why im losing so much hair everyday. Minoxil is supposed to stop that but its not working. Ive never seen so much hair loss in my life. Theres so much hair loss in my sink, it just comes away every time I touch my hair. I dont know what is going on.

I look so much worse than I did before the transplant. I have stopped going out and I wear a cap every day at work. I just assume everyone at work thinks I never take it off cos Ive got no hair.

Im thinking of maybe getting a hair system to cover it up whilst the new transplants grow in. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I didnt expect to have to do this. Just so deflated and stressed.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
My understanding is there is definitely an “ugly duckling” stage with transplants. Where it gets worse before it gets better. So, hopefully this will pass and you’ll be on your way to improvement.

I haven’t had a transplant but I’ve read up on them quite a bit - by and large “shock loss” is a bit of a scaremonger talking point. Seems like it’s rarely permanent.

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Its getting worse, Im still losing loads of hair every day. I look terrible, and even though Im taking minoxidil, hairs are still falling out.

Dont know what to do.

Does any one know if you can wear a hair system over your hair transplant.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im always stayed away from taking propecia or finasteride because of the sexual side effects. I know a fried who had bad problems with it and I just don't want to risk it.

I dont understand why im losing so much hair everyday. Minoxil is supposed to stop that but its not working. Ive never seen so much hair loss in my life. Theres so much hair loss in my sink, it just comes away every time I touch my hair. I dont know what is going on.

I look so much worse than I did before the transplant. I have stopped going out and I wear a cap every day at work. I just assume everyone at work thinks I never take it off cos Ive got no hair.

Im thinking of maybe getting a hair system to cover it up whilst the new transplants grow in. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Fighting hairloss without an anti androgen is pointless imo. Minoxidil by itself does not tackle the root cause, DHT.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Its getting worse, Im still losing loads of hair every day. I look terrible, and even though Im taking minoxidil, hairs are still falling out.

Dont know what to do.

Does any one know if you can wear a hair system over your hair transplant.

In my completely honest opinion, you wasted your money paying for a hair transplant and minoxidil without being on an anti androgen. Minoxidil helps to regrow hair, but the follicle itself has to be healthy. Better late than never, you should really hop on finasteride.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are going through the ugly duckling stage of a transplant so give it a couple of months. Even a low dose of finasteride would be a good idea for you to stop further loss in the next few years. Overall though if your balding you will have to have multiple surgeries to keep a steady look.

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Take supplements that aid in the support of the new rebuilt follicular situation in the scalp. Usually people don’t take the necessary supplements to support the creation of new blood vessels etc of the newly transplanted hair (dunno the English words), so there is shock loss. Although you will most likely recover fully anyways.

Marty D

My Regimen
Reaction score

I used hair fibres for the first 3-4 months after my transplant. That initial growth stage sucks! After 4-5 months though my density just came through and I was using it less and less upto 6 months where I stopped using them.

You should really consider a DHT blocker though! I used to take Propecia every day but now just have one Avodart tablet once a week + wash my hair every Sunday with Nizoral 2% shampoo. The last 2 years - so far so good!

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fighting hairloss without an anti androgen is pointless imo. Minoxidil by itself does not tackle the root cause, DHT.
An anti DHT will do absolutely nothing for shock loss.

The hairs are being lost by shock to the surrounding tissues not DHT.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
If the hair lost is miniaturized it may not come back. If the hairs are terminal hairs they should come back. Shock loss is THE WORST. Hang in the buddy.

ScienceofHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to get a cyst in the side of my head removed. They said my hair would grow back where the scar was but never happened.

Not to worry you though because this actually caused scar tissue so it's different scenario

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So its now been about 14 months since my transplant and Im totally crushed by the whole thing.

My hair looks worse then when i began. The shock loss hairs never really came back. Maybe some, max 50%. But not like I can tell.

I have never felt that surge of new hairs coming in. Dr Krishan kept saying it takes time you have to wait for the year. Well I did and nothing. Ive got less hair then when I began and Im £7k down.

He keeps trying to sell me PRP which Ive done twice and is pointless. Do not see him or ziering medical they are phonies.

My scar has not healed well, he said I could have a grade 3 on the back and it would cover it. Well I have to have it much longer to conceal the scar. At my last meeting with him he said he could go back in and fix the scar in a surgery again, but Im not convinced I trust his skills.

His whole demeanour is so casual and forgetful. He never recalls what he has said to me and every time I see him he takes pictures. I ask him to email them to me and he's like oh yes yes yes don't worry, dismissing me. And each time he never does. Last time I was quite angry at him and he just didn't care, and again didnt bother to send me the pictures.Im going to write the owners and directors a complaint about him when I can find the time, but I guess it will be ignored, its not the first time Ive had to complain.

Now what should I do guys please help?

He said he can do another procedure on my head and do some more grafts etc. I told him no way am I paying for it firmly he has agreed to do it gratis. However Im not happy with him or his skills. For all I know its his technique that has caused my issues.

He says stop using regaine its pointless. So I have. I dont like using nothing though so Im back to using minoxidil which I had left over. As I understand its the same thing anyways.

My hair is swiftly disappearing and Im using alot of Toppik fibres which are great by the way.

Im looking at getting a hair system, but dont know where to go to so am researching it at the moment.

Does anyone think I should get another transplant. Is there any point? Anyone have experience with ziering and Kishan?

I just feel like total crap my confidence is super low, I was patient waiting for this amazing growth to come through post transplant...and it never happened.

Thanks
B

B Real

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

Dont people get more than one transplant normally though?

Also I do need to get the scar fixed...

meagainsttheworld

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey i have something similar. The difference is I used Minoxidil for boosting my beard which resulted in shock loss of my hair. Unfortunately I ve never recovered from that shock loss even after stoping using minoxidil. Now i have reallyfucked uped hair and wearing a hat all day....